Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: recommended esc's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #1

Question recommended esc's

Hi new to rock krawler rc's and am putting togther an ax-10 from parts that have been donated by friends and some stuff that I have bought. Looking for suggestions on an affordable speed controll that will do the job and not break my pocket book time. Ecomony sucks!!!!!! Do prefere a fairly quick reverse.
Thanks
r-zeppon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #2

the novak rooster seems to be a popular pick
BlueOvalRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Tekin FXR is a solid choice as well. Tekin has software updates coming very soon to tune the throttle response a bit better, but even out of the box it's a great little speedo.

Very small footprint and direct solder posts make it easily installed in any rig. I run them in my 2.2 and my Losi MRC.

http://rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105316
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #4

thank you I'll check it out.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #5

That sounds like a good way to go also. Since it's lunch time, I think I'm gonna run with that suggestion over to the local hobby shop and see what I can come up with.
Thank you
much appreciated
Old 03-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I've got a Mamba max and think it's great. Not on the cheap end though. Whatever you get - just make sure it has drag brake.
bassguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #7

I completely forgot about the Tekin and Mamba, good choices also
Old 03-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #8

Good call on the drag brake, totally forgot about that.
Thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I run the Tekin FXR with a 45t and I love it. Very resonably priced and easy to use
456heinbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #10

I'm running a 45t with a 16 tooth drive gear and it does seems to work well. The Tekin and the Momba both seem to do very well. How is the drag brake on that Tekin, does it work well??
Old 03-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-zeppon View Post
I'm running a 45t with a 16 tooth drive gear and it does seems to work well. The Tekin and the Momba both seem to do very well. How is the drag brake on that Tekin, does it work well??
the drag brake is what the FXR is known for...it has crazy holding power.
mOOsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Yep.....I just put a Tekin FX-R in my tuber....it's great. Easy setup. You can change alot of parameters, including the brake, with the onboard programming buttons.
HotRodJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOOsE View Post
It looks like the Tekin is the way to go. Very affordable and adjustable.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
It looks like the Tekin is the way to go. Very affordable and adjustable.
Good call I realy like mine.
hoplesshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It's killer and 11 step programmable with the on board set up button. Once you get into the Hot Wire though...infinate from 1 to 100. It'll hold just about any crawler on an incline and anywhere in between.

That's where the Tekin has the upper hand over the Castle ESC's. Even at full tilt the Castle's still have some free roll depending on the weight of the rig. Some drivers like that, but I'd still take the Tekin and program it that way, rather than just settle for it with the Castle's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOOsE View Post
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I have experience with the LRP (maybe good for scale but not a comp esc), the Rooster Crawler and the Mamba Max. The Rooster is a good plug and play (and only play with what we tell you to play with ie 2C lipo max) esc. It has a great drag brake and what seems to be a linear throttle curve (and will cost you about $85-95). The Mamba ($110-140) is completly adjustable (assuming you have the link) in both throttle and brake curves (you need a computer to do this) and it can handle more than a 2C lipo.

Maybe a bigger concern. I ran my rooster on a 2C lipo with a 333oz steering servo and a 160oz dig servo with no problem. With the Mamba I HAVE to run a BEC (this adds roughly $20 to the equation)

Ask yourself what you want to do? if that falls within The Roosters specs go with the Rooster, if you think you want to do something different in the furture go with the Mamba and upgrade software when needed.

You might also find what your looking for in a Castle Sidewinder? I've owned 2 Tekin Rebel 2's and both burnt out within 8 months? So I'll only comment on the Rooster and the Mamba.

Hope this helps
crawlinghulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
It's killer and 11 step programmable with the on board set up button. Once you get into the Hot Wire though...infinate from 1 to 100. It'll hold just about any crawler on an incline and anywhere in between.

That's where the Tekin has the upper hand over the Castle ESC's. Even at full tilt the Castle's still have some free roll depending on the weight of the rig. Some drivers like that, but I'd still take the Tekin and program it that way, rather than just settle for it with the Castle's.

You have very solid info, thank you I appreciate that. One other question, is it capable of supporting large servo's ie: 330 in and maybe a light dig servo without the use of a BEC??
Old 03-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlinghulls View Post
I have experience with the LRP (maybe good for scale but not a comp esc), the Rooster Crawler and the Mamba Max. The Rooster is a good plug and play (and only play with what we tell you to play with ie 2C lipo max) esc. It has a great drag brake and what seems to be a linear throttle curve (and will cost you about $85-95). The Mamba ($110-140) is completly adjustable (assuming you have the link) in both throttle and brake curves (you need a computer to do this) and it can handle more than a 2C lipo.

Maybe a bigger concern. I ran my rooster on a 2C lipo with a 333oz steering servo and a 160oz dig servo with no problem. With the Mamba I HAVE to run a BEC (this adds roughly $20 to the equation)

Ask yourself what you want to do? if that falls within The Roosters specs go with the Rooster, if you think you want to do something different in the furture go with the Mamba and upgrade software when needed.

You might also find what your looking for in a Castle Sidewinder? I've owned 2 Tekin Rebel 2's and both burnt out within 8 months? So I'll only comment on the Rooster and the Mamba.

Hope this helps
Being still new at this, I appreciate the info. You brought a good point up about the being ab le to suppert heavy servo's without a BEC. This will make me keep a Rooster in consideration.
Thank you
Old 03-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRacing View Post
the novak rooster seems to be a popular pick
hmmmmmm..... seems like it's between the tekin and the rooster
Old 03-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #20

and, the economy doesn't suck if you are a tranny guy! I got $$$ for all of my toys!

not!