Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: ### DX3R setup with 2 servos, including dig ##

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default ### DX3R setup with 2 servos, including dig ##

I am setting up my dig with dx3r.

How have people setup the their dx3r with front steering servo and dig servo together using this tx?

What model # did you use?

How did you use different frame rate or program frame rates if your front servo is digital (requires 5.5ms response time) to an analog which is the dig servo?

What are your #'s for travel, etc?

Thanks!

Last edited by 5150bronco; 03-11-2009 at 11:13 AM.
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

You just use whatever model number you are using for that particular vehicle. Set up whichever switch you want, A,B,C, etc, to a 3pos switch. With 2 servo's you will have to set your framerate to 11 or 11.1 whichever the next one up from 5.5 is, and from what I've seen you have to do this even if both servos were digital. Start out with your EPA's at around 20 and go up or down from there until the dig is working like it should without the servo humming.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSCOTT View Post
You just use whatever model number you are using for that particular vehicle. Set up whichever switch you want, A,B,C, etc, to a 3pos switch. With 2 servo's you will have to set your framerate to 11 or 11.1 whichever the next one up from 5.5 is, and from what I've seen you have to do this even if both servos were digital. Start out with your EPA's at around 20 and go up or down from there until the dig is working like it should without the servo humming.
Okay. I found out that 11.1 is preferred with 2 servo's.

The epa's.....? that means the travel and that means the travel must be around 20%......? Is this right? Did you use 20% for both #'s or left or right only?

The problem was for me the frame rate issue with the front servo being digital and not being able to figure out how to assign different frame rates?

Thanks for the help and please clarify.

Last edited by 5150bronco; 03-11-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

On my setup, Framerate is 5.5, haven't had any problems, 11.1 will work, just slightly slower, almost no difference. My servos: 7955TG and 225 MG. Yes start the travel around 20%, on mine it ended up about 28 or so. Obviously, your neutral servo position should be freewheel, all the way forward 4X4, all the way backward dig, axle locked. You don't have to have the servo pushing the dig rod all the way forward. Should leave a small amount of play(like 1/100th inch) at the ends of the travel of the rod. I have found this puts the least strain on the servo.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150bronco View Post
Okay. 5.5ms is for the digital and must be used from what the dx3r says.

The epa's.....? that means the travel and that means the travel must be around 20%......? Is this right?

The problem was for me the frame rate issue with the front servo being digital and not being able to figure out how to assign different frame rates?

Thanks for the help and please clarify.
A Digital servo does'nt require the 5.5ms response time, The Radio does. If you were only using 1 for steering, that would work. MCSCOTT is correct about 2 servos also- I run digital str. & dig and it worked at 5.5 when I first installed them, next time I turned on the radio they would'nt until switched back to 11. . ? I don't have my radio w/me so can't quote "My" epa's, but just play w/values and should get it right soon. And you can't assign "Different" frame rates for different servos. . .1 rate to rule them all. . .
APESHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Okay. 5.5ms is for the digital and must be used from what the dx3r says.
Digital servos don't have to be set to the 5.5ms frame rate. You have to use 11ms frame rate when using more than one servo, digital or analog, or a combo of the two.
MidniteMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
Rev
Pebble Pounder

The Aux channel in the RX will work properly in Analog frame rates only... So if you set your frame rate to 5.5, any digital or analog servos in AUX channel will not work. I have mine set at 11ms and my front digital servo and dig digital servo work fine. Also there is no way to assign different frame rates to different servos. I hope this helps... I spent some time on the phone w/ Spektrum addressing this same issue.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
On my setup, Framerate is 5.5, haven't had any problems, 11.1 will work, just slightly slower, almost no difference. My servos: 7955TG and 225 MG. Yes start the travel around 20%, on mine it ended up about 28 or so. Obviously, your neutral servo position should be freewheel, all the way forward 4X4, all the way backward dig, axle locked. You don't have to have the servo pushing the dig rod all the way forward. Should leave a small amount of play(like 1/100th inch) at the ends of the travel of the rod. I have found this puts the least strain on the servo.
Thanks Gunn for saying "don't have to have the servo pushing the dig rod all the way forward"...., I thought you would have to in order for it to stay. What position do you have it in when you are just crawling, normally.? Or what position will it stay in most of the time?

How did you adjust the small amount of play?

Thanks a lot man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APESHAT View Post
A Digital servo does'nt require the 5.5ms response time, The Radio does. If you were only using 1 for steering, that would work. MCSCOTT is correct about 2 servos also- I run digital str. & dig and it worked at 5.5 when I first installed them, next time I turned on the radio they would'nt until switched back to 11. . ? I don't have my radio w/me so can't quote "My" epa's, but just play w/values and should get it right soon. And you can't assign "Different" frame rates for different servos. . .1 rate to rule them all. . .
okay. I am understanding the diff for 5 to 11. Mine is set to 11 now. Now i know you cant assign, talked with horizon this morning. thanks.

How did you know your values were right?

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
The Aux channel in the RX will work properly in Analog frame rates only... So if you set your frame rate to 5.5, any digital or analog servos in AUX channel will not work. I have mine set at 11ms and my front digital servo and dig digital servo work fine. Also there is no way to assign different frame rates to different servos. I hope this helps... I spent some time on the phone w/ Spektrum addressing this same issue.
I have been on phone this morning for a while.....lol. This is kinda challenging and was giving me hell all night.

Appreciate the feedback guys
Old 03-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

End points will be different for everyone, that's something you kinda have to play with to get it right. 20 is a good number to start with, but if that's not enough simply up that 1 digit at a time until your dig engages, and then make sure you don't hear the servo humming. Personally when I setup my VF dig a long time ago, I would raise it until the dig engaged and then bump the throttle a little to make sure everything moved into place properly and then make sure the servo wasn't humming.

As for the positions of where everything is, for normal crawling of course you want it in 4wd, back one time is freewheel meaning only the front tires are pulling, and back one more time was dig. (Forward twice to go back to 4wd). You can set your failsafe to left or right on your dig servo so that it stays in 4wd when you turn it on, but I just left mine the way it was and put it in 4wd when I powered up the radio.

Also note depending on which servo you're using, you have to be careful setting the end points with any of them, but from what I saw those mini servos didn't last long at all if the end point isn't just right. I burnt up 2 of them, that were only used for a minute or two each while setting them up. The full size ones like the 645 were alot more forgiving.

Last edited by MCSCOTT; 03-11-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
End points will be different for everyone, that's something you kinda have to play with to get it right. 20 is a good number to start with, but if that's not enough simply up that 1 digit at a time until your dig engages, and then make sure you don't hear the servo humming. Personally when I setup my VF dig a long time ago, I would raise it until the dig engaged and then bump the throttle a little to make sure everything moved into place properly and then make sure the servo wasn't humming.

As for the positions of where everything is, for normal crawling of course you want it in 4wd, back one time is freewheel meaning only the front tires are pulling, and back one more time was dig. (Forward twice to go back to 4wd). You can set your failsafe to left or right on your dig servo so that it stays in 4wd when you turn it on, but I just left mine the way it was and put it in 4wd when I powered up the radio.

Also note depending on which servo you're using, you have to be careful setting the end points with any of them, but from what I saw those mini servos didn't last long at all if the end point isn't just right. I burnt up 2 of them, that were only used for a minute or two each while setting them up. The full size ones like the 645 were alot more forgiving.
Perfect MC. that is what I was looking for as an explanation.

What did you set as your failsafe?

Do I want to start in the free wheel position (middle)? When I start setting the travel?

Than once it engages to 4wd (one click forward) and stops humming than that is the right percentage?

Would this be the way to start this process?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Perfect MC. that is what I was looking for as an explanation.

What did you set as your failsafe?

Do I want to start in the free wheel position (middle)? When I start setting the travel?

Than once it engages to 4wd (one click forward) and stops humming than that is the right percentage?

Would this be the way to start this process?

Thanks
Like I mentioned right now my failsafe is just center which is freewheel, just because I never changed it. If you're going to change it I would set the failsafe to where it shifts into 4wd so that your rig is ready to go as soon as you power up the radio.

As for starting the setup, first start out by setting your end points on the radio to around 20 both ways. Then power up the rig and shift it into 4wd or dig either one, and set your end points for whichever one you're on. Then shift it to the opposite (dig or 4wd depending on which way you did to start with), and repeat the process. Remember to set the end points individually you just turn the steering wheel on the radio until the correct side is flashing. It takes a little time and changing here and there to get everything working right.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Like I mentioned right now my failsafe is just center which is freewheel, just because I never changed it. If you're going to change it I would set the failsafe to where it shifts into 4wd so that your rig is ready to go as soon as you power up the radio.

As for starting the setup, first start out by setting your end points on the radio to around 20 both ways. Then power up the rig and shift it into 4wd or dig either one, and set your end points for whichever one you're on. Then shift it to the opposite (dig or 4wd depending on which way you did to start with), and repeat the process. Remember to set the end points individually you just turn the steering wheel on the radio until the correct side is flashing. It takes a little time and changing here and there to get everything working right.
PERFECT! Exactly what I was looking to hear! Thanks a lot!

So, after there will probably be 2 different percentages than, or most likely?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Hey MC,

When you put the servo horn on.....;

1) should the dig be manually pushed in all the way?
2) Should the switch when on the monitor feature on tx be at zero (freewheel) or corresponding to the dig engage (to the right on monitor) or ?

Does this make sense? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Hey MC,

When you put the servo horn on.....;

1) should the dig be manually pushed in all the way?
2) Should the switch when on the monitor feature on tx be at zero (freewheel) or corresponding to the dig engage (to the right on monitor) or ?

Does this make sense? Thanks.
I know what you mean. You want to manually shift your dig into freewheel (center). Then power up your servo to where it's centered. Put the servo horn on with the servo centered and the dig in freewheel mode. That way center will be freewheel, one direction is dig, and the opposite direction is 4wd.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
I know what you mean. You want to manually shift your dig into freewheel (center). Then power up your servo to where it's centered. Put the servo horn on with the servo centered and the dig in freewheel mode. That way center will be freewheel, one direction is dig, and the opposite direction is 4wd.
That is what I thought, but was not sure how much sense that made.

NOw I see. Thanks a lot.

????? How do you know what is center, by manually doing it.....?????

I would say just about 3/16 maybe?

Awesome help
Old 03-13-2009, 01:37 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Holy amazing task...... thanks MC.....!!!!!

I got it to work pretty good. Nice stuff!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

good post guys,it helped me a little as well
my epa's are down to 7 & 8% ,i don't have any linkage,it's a long servo arm that lines up with the shifting pin,straight shot with a 3mm button head
The frame rates thing was good to know ,thanx
irok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok View Post
good post guys,it helped me a little as well
my epa's are down to 7 & 8% ,i don't have any linkage,it's a long servo arm that lines up with the shifting pin,straight shot with a 3mm button head
The frame rates thing was good to know ,thanx
it is challenging to navigate through everything and than program it......lol.

you can go to monitor too on the main menu. that helped me. I just finally got it dialed in today, couple , hiccups along the way too.