Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: My 100% homemade scale crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alljackedup View Post
No not only for looks. This will be fully functional. What kind of oil should i put in my shocks and why do i put oil in them?
I'm sure you've seen a car going down the road with the tire bouncing up and down while the others are sticking to the road. This is what the oil does. It slows the compression and rebound of the spring and dampens the bouncy affect letting the tire roll over bumps and not just hitting them and bouncing over and slamming back down. Same goes for remote control cars. You want to keep the tires on the ground to maintain control.
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Oil is used to slow the spring action. Otherwise its just going to bounce around uncontrollably.

It seems to me you need to learn quite a bit more about the mechanical workings before you set out to build your own. I'm not trying to insult you here, just trying to save you tons of time and effort. Buy a RTR, play with it, understand how things work, then make plans to build your own. Creating parts is easy, making them work harmoniously is not.
As i said numerous times...i dont have money to buy one or i wouldnt build it. And i think i can figure it out. Its never been a problem in any other areas...

And actually I do take that as an insult. I dont get much support in life anyways without someone always coming to knock it down. you can answer my questions and give me constructive critisism and help motivate me for my project or you can just go to the next thread.

Now back on topic: thanks sydwaiz. I understand now. 1 more question...do they FILL the shocks or just put a bit in there?

Last edited by Alljackedup; 03-13-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Alljackedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

They are filled and made sure that there is absolutely no air in them whatsoever.

And as for type of oil. There are many types or weights of oil. Some thin or very water and some thick like motor oil. There are specific shock oils for RC vehicles. Which one or weight is up to you and how your rig handles when complete. You can use other oils like hyrdraulic fluid, which I have used a long time ago, just make sure it is compatible with any materials you use to construct your shock with.

Last edited by Sydwaiz; 03-13-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:03 AM   #24
Suck it up!

Quote:
As i said numerous times...i dont have money to buy one or i wouldnt build it. And i think i can figure it out. Its never been a problem in any other areas...

And actually I do take that as an insult. I dont get much support in life anyways without someone always coming to knock it down. you can answer my questions and give me constructive critisism and help motivate me for my project or you can just go to the next thread.

Its unfortunate that you are so easily offended, I wasn't trying to knock you down.

I did answer your question, and I gave constructive critisism, but apparently it wasn't the critisism you wanted.

From my experience, its always easier to build something successfully when you understand how it works, and that is what I was suggesting when I said to buy a rtr, so you could get hands on experience with it. I dig the home built stuff, and while mine isn't quite on the same level as most here, my crawler is home built too.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 03-14-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:17 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

duuuude, i'm with ya.

A rtr would be the way to go. Theres alot more to a rc than most people think. It WILL save ya some money in the long run, and you'll have alot better idea of how things work. Buy a star and look in the "for sale" section. By the time you buy a body and a set of tires and wheels your about 1/3 to the cost of a rtr. It would be worth it to save for a while, then buy a rtr and modify it.

I to don't mean to offend you but if you have to ask what shock oil does, your going to have a very bumpy road ahead of ya.

best of luck to ya!
gmanning37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #26

100% agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanning37 View Post
duuuude, i'm with ya.

A rtr would be the way to go. Theres alot more to a rc than most people think. It WILL save ya some money in the long run, and you'll have alot better idea of how things work. Buy a star and look in the "for sale" section. By the time you buy a body and a set of tires and wheels your about 1/3 to the cost of a rtr. It would be worth it to save for a while, then buy a rtr and modify it.

I to don't mean to offend you but if you have to ask what shock oil does, your going to have a very bumpy road ahead of ya.

best of luck to ya!
tundranos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #27

ok this is what you dont understand...i have EVERYTHING needed to make a homemade crawler. It wont cost me a dime. I'm not trying to be the worlds best crawler builder...i just want one so i figured it was a good way to learn about them and make it happen. I know i dont know alot about it but thats why i ask questions and try...i'll NEVEr have a crawler if i dont just give things a shot...
Old 03-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #28
Suck it up!

Quote:
ok this is what you dont understand...i have EVERYTHING needed to make a homemade crawler.
We do understand. However, the one thing you lack is the mechanical knowledge.

Don't think we are trying to talk you into not building anything, we are simply supplying you with some hard truths and a bit of wisdom.

The question you need to ask yourself is; how much time am I willing to dedicate to this process? A week? A month? A year? How long before your attention runs out? Like I said earlier, machining parts is easy, making them work together is not. Your shock oil question is a very tell-tale sign that you have tons to learn. You can draw and design a shock, but you have no idea what its for.

Designing and building something from scratch takes alot of time, even when you are familiar with what you are dealing with. To do it without that familiarity is monumental. It has been done before, with varying degrees of success. Go for it if you want, just be sure that you are prepared for the journey.

Read read read read read, then ask questions. If you truly can't afford a rtr, go find a local club so you can hang out and watch the rigs run in person. The internet is a wonderful thing, but is no substitute for real life.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #29

Talking

hay alljackedup ive been into rc cars for 30 years but my first crawler i built about 3 months ago i learned that using the search function here is very valuable i learnrd alot.what im getting at is it dont matter if your just starting or have years of experience their is always something to learn.good luck on your build and if you need any advice pm me and i will give u any of my experience. post some pics of your progress.
mszz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

You can PM me too if you have any mechanical questions. I may not know them all but can help where I can. I tinker with real cars, been a machinist, and do injection molding so I've been around all things mechanical, just on a much larger scale. I'm fairly new to RCs as well but know just enough to be dangerous!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #31
Suck it up!

Why keep the q & a's secret? I'm sure Alljackedup isn't the only one who might need the info...

There's lots of info to be had here, just don't get wound up if you hear something you don't like.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #32

Well i agree somewhat. Yes i understand the journey and i do know what shocks are for =P I have done PLENTY of mechanical work in the past...i just didnt understand how the shock couuld condense while being filled with oil. My grandfather was a heavy machinery mechanic aswell as my dad is an anything and everything mechanic. I've been around mechanical crap all my life...and im pretty good at making things work aswell as engineering. Just because i asked about shock oil because im 16 and never busted one open im not an idiot =P but as i said i do understand the difficulty...but im sure i can figure it out. Just dont judge me by a question. I've had to engineer PLENTY of stuff that worked perfectly ;)
Old 03-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Just like fluid filled shocks on a full size vehicle, these fluid filled shocks simply pass the fluid from one part of the shock to another part (above and below the piston) through holes in the piston. Some pistons have more holes to make the shock softer. Here is a bit more info on how a fluid filled shock works:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension2.htm

Good luck on your build and make sure to post pics!!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #34
Suck it up!

Quote:
I've been around mechanical crap all my life...and im pretty good at making things work aswell as engineering. Just because i asked about shock oil because im 16 and never busted one open im not an idiot =P
I never implied nor do I think you are an idiot, just uneducated about the matter at hand.

Quote:
Just dont judge me by a question.
A question is all we have to go on so far. Truth be told, I had you pegged as an inexperienced kid as soon as I read it.

No worries though, we all had to learn somehow. Just remember that you'll learn better without an attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Just like fluid filled shocks on a full size vehicle, these fluid filled shocks simply pass the fluid from one part of the shock to another part (above and below the piston) through holes in the piston. Some pistons have more holes to make the shock softer. Here is a bit more info on how a fluid filled shock works:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension2.htm

Good luck on your build and make sure to post pics!!
X2 - howstuffworks.com is an awesome site. Nearly anything you'd want to know about is there and plainly put. They even have pictures! woot!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Just let him build his truck. Quit bickering back and forth if you are just going to argue go to the next thread. I personally think it was easier to learn to build a truck by doing just that. Build it. If something you did didn't work then you know not to do that again.
Tho it may be easier to buy a pre-made truck and see how it works. Eventually you will find out what doesnt work, weather it be a custom suspension you decided to try or a whole truck you decided to build. Either way you are going to run into something that just doesnt work.
You both have valid points. But whats the point in going back and forth.

Build your truck and if it doesnt work, try again. Thats what I did and now i have an extremely capable truck that i built from scrap. AND I know what not to do by the mistakes I made instead of buying something that works. The fun part was MAKING IT WORK.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #36
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
Just let him build his truck. Quit bickering back and forth if you are just going to argue go to the next thread.
Your right. Somebody pass the Midol my way...
Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #37
RCC Addict

I argue with my wife enough.

I get on here and in the garage to get away. So it is that last thing I want to see
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #38

calikingcrawler that is EXACTLY what i was trying to say...and i never meant to have an attitude duuuuuuuude...sorry if you read it that way. All i was saying is that i may not know much about RCs or oil in shocks (lol) but that doesnt mean im not a mechanical person =D. I'm taking the gears and some spair parts out of a few drills as i type so ill get some pics coming and i really appreciate the help guys...hope i didnt cause any issues duuuude =P
Old 03-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #39
Suck it up!

Quote:
calikingcrawler that is EXACTLY what i was trying to say...and i never meant to have an attitude duuuuuuuude...sorry if you read it that way. All i was saying is that i may not know much about RCs or oil in shocks (lol) but that doesnt mean im not a mechanical person =D. I'm taking the gears and some spair parts out of a few drills as i type so ill get some pics coming and i really appreciate the help guys...hope i didnt cause any issues duuuude =P

Ain't no thang...can't wait to see what you come up with.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #40

Thanks. And to explain why i got frustrated...i've always been told i was a very mechanical and creative person...thats all im good at. And when you said that it kinda felt like someone was trying to take that away too if you know what i mean lol. Thought you meant if i dont know what shock oil is theres no way i could be mechanical at all. I know it sounds like whiney teenager crap but lol... (i swear im not one of those whine about everything in the freakin world teens)

Anyways I tore these drills apart and got some pretty cool stuff. plenty of gears. some plastic which i dont want to use but a few steel gears aswell.
I came up with another question. There are 2 ways i can do this and i want you guys' input on which would be best. I can mount a motor to each of the axles (2 motors) or mount one strong motor in the middle of the chassis and make it shaft driven. the axle mounted stuff seems like it would be a pain because of clearance and heck, just getting it to mount and work...my dad said it would be easier...what do you guys think?