Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: My 100% homemade scale crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #61

WOW! that makes me feel alot better knowing im on the same path as someone who succeded before me. =D I'll definately get pictures after i get the stuff done. =)

Edit: also i was thinking before...i dont wanna sound like a beggar but if anyone has any wheels tires or anything you dont need I could put it to use =)...or if anyone wants to sell me something cheap. Trying to save as much money as i can for my 1:1 jeep =D

Last edited by Alljackedup; 03-23-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Alljackedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

if your set on building everything yourself Ill share a few tips from my experience. My first crawler was completly home built with the exception of radio gear and parts Ill list below.

Links: 3/16 brakeline. Thread easy with a 6/32 tap and cuts really easy.
chassis: 3/16 brakeline or 1/8" aluminum plate
gears/diff: traxxas "maxx" stuff works pretty good and is realy cheap on ebay
axle tubes: washers and conduit.
transmission: build your prototype from 1/4" lexan and then final from aluminum.
skid plates: cutting board from wally world.

Back when this sport started we all built our own stuff. I still to this day refuse to buy a complete vehicle kit for more than a donor.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 AM   #63

=D sweet! Thanks for the tips. Tips like that are what really helps.
If i was going to mill my own wheels i would like to use aluminum but does anyone how where i could get aluminum to make the wheels? I may be able to find some laying around here but incase i cant what are your suggestions?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Cool thread.....I applaude you for making yer own stuff...
But the title should be changed to 90%...since you aren't making a body or molding your own tires....haha!
Keep up the good work.....it's cool seeing someone with your enthusiasm.
And since you're building a scaler....screw the links, make your own leaf springs from a lawnmower/weedeater recoil spring....
HotRodJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #65

Thanks for the advice but i think i wanna use shocks because they seem like they would work better for what im doing. =D
Old 03-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Uhhh..............you still use shocks with leaf springs............duuuuuuuuuuuuude.
The leafs provide the spring action and locate the axles....
Old 03-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #67

Well i knew that...lol sorry i was on the phone and got my conversations mixed. =P

This is a funny request but if any of you have an AX10 chassis...I need someone to lay it on a piece of cardboard, trace it, and cut it out and send to me. I could pay shipping...should only be a couple dollars. Let me know if theres any way you can do this. Seems i cant get my hands on a chassis itself without buying one >.<

Last edited by Alljackedup; 03-24-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #68
Suck it up!

Find one of Offroader5's posts. In his sig he has a link to chassis templates that you can print out and use. Good stuff.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #69

AWESOME! Thanks! I just got inside from playing with my axle in the lathe. Time to research to see how thick the axle needs to be.

Edit: I think im gonna go with a 3/8" axle shaft. Too small? Too big? Input?

Last edited by Alljackedup; 03-24-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #70

Got my body today! Does it matter if i trim it before painting? Or am I supposed to do that after?
Old 03-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Trim first paint later. By doing it that way you don't scratch the paint when you trim if you painted it first. Some people do it the other way but IMO trim first paint later always worked better for me. My first body I painted first then when I trimmed I didn't know where to but the holes for my body post and such and kind of winged it and the body didn't line up right. Also I had to touch up all the scratches from when I trimmed it. BTW when we gonna see some pictures of these axles???
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Trim and drill yer body holes...then paint.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

So, I'm glad to see you are making some progress. Good idea you had, to go to the Hobby Shop, now you have a better idea of what you need. Keep us posted on how you are doing with this project.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

4 pages and still no pics or real progress just a bunch of questions that could have been answered by searching.
badltl510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #75

If you really knew what was going on on this side of the computer you'd know why my progress has been slow the past week. My grandfather just died so I'd say I've been a bit preoccupied. And yes I am making "real progress"...slowly but surely. As of right now all I have of an axle is a steel rod cut to size...its still in the lathe.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #76

Sometime when you have a chance, just walk through the barns of stuff and look at everything. Think about what you are needing and how that widget on the wall would fit that need. Try finding an old rc car like at a garage sale to get some parts from. Drill batteries are a good power source too. My kids love the 18 volt dewalts in their powerwheels!
scootgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:26 AM   #77

Yea were going to east texas this weekend (where all my family lives aswell as my grandfathers old place) and my grandfather had 3 big shops just FULL of stuff...a junkyard aswell. So I plan to grab some extra materials this trip. =)
Old 03-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #78
Rock Stacker

on the issue of dampers: Have you considered the option of doing a torsion chasis instead? With this you don't have to use shocks and springs.

DIY Torsion chassis link: How To Build a Torsion Chassis

on the issue of controllers: The way to go is use an AM band controllers. Here in the Philippines, secondhand AM band controllers go around $20-$30, maybe you can find a good and cheap option from ebay.

on the issue of servos: I think it would be difficult to make this. You'll also need to buy a good one. Secondhand bargains should be a good option.
wildthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:50 AM   #79

Thanks! I just got back in town yesterday and today depending on whats planned I'm hoping to cut my chassis plates out. I think I'm gonna stick with the widow style chassis but thank you! =)
Old 04-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #80

Just to give a quick update I've started cutting out my chassis. Skid plate is cut out and chassis plate is almost done. Then I'll clean it up and cut another. Its prom week and I've been busy so I've been limited on time but its coming along! =)