Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: My 100% homemade scale crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #121
Rock Stacker

When I first got into real RC (i.e. something better than xmods...) 2 years ago, I started in a similar fashion. Research, research and more research.

The very day my rc18t arrived, i spliced the charger connector to a cheapo 6/7 cell charger, and hooked it up to an old pc power supply, shimmed the diffs and made a makeshift gear cover. Still ticking, but rather different now

Making the frame/underplate is the easy part - You have a good start; wouldnt take much to copy the next side and smoothen it. People here would probably BUY it!

I wouldn't dream of doing the gears. Kudos if you can get it right. I don't mean making the gears, but the gearbox btw. I doubt I'd be able to make it rigid enough to prevent gears from slipping - or accurate enough so the teeth mesh perfectly. Only tool I know how to use is a dremel - and given how fast I chew through disks, I'm looking for the 101 class.

A crawler is a good place to start - it's easier than a standard chassis with a-arms imo.

How far are you going to go? Are you really planning to make the axles?

we can seperate it into parts like this
Chassis - underplace/sides/crossbars for rigitity
Gearbox - box/gears/output gear to shaft
Axles - "diff" or just 2 right angle gears really if it's locked/case/shafts from diff to wheels/knuckles for steering.
Links - rod ends/threaded rod (best bet) OR buy links OR strips of metal with a hole at either end(may be too cheap;)
Shocks - if you can make this, then wow ;) Sell those tooo
beomagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #122

lol well i plan to make everything i can...and buy the rest second hand. Axles i think i have figured out...will be very very simple but i think i've got it. And shocks...they're just a plan...idk yet if it will work but i imagine so. My plan for the shocks is actually quite simple aswell. Just need a welder, a drill, some tubing, a rod, and some oil! lol. And about the gearbox...I've seen it done. Was pretty simple too. I'm not trying to out build axial or berg parts lol...i'm just building it very basic to begin with and adding on to that. For a gearbox i'll just make a small box out of aluminum and be extremely careful to drill holes for rods that the gears will mount on. Then hinge a door on the top of the gearbox incase i need to repair it. The idea in my head is extremely basic and simple for the first version. but after i get my feet wet i'll jump in the pool if ya know what i mean. Just gotta get used to the water first. ;)

ps: also thanks a TON for laying out the parts how you did (chassis, gearbox, axles) etc...it helps more than you'd think to have it in my mind that way.
So yea...tomorrow morning if im not doing anything else i'll pretty much finish the frame out.
Then as you listed...the gearbox is next!

Last edited by Alljackedup; 04-16-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Alljackedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #123
Quarry Creeper

For shocks you may want to try using 1/2" EMT(conduit) for the body of the shock. Weld some fender washers(with the appropriate hole for whatever rod you use) on each end and grind them down flush w/body. Maybe use some rtv to keep an o-ring in place so you can use oil as a damper, or if you don't have to have it scale looking, us internal springs(easier). Someone on this site made a "home brew" crawler last year and from the looks of it did the shocks in a similar fashion. Good luck. I look forward to seeing the axles...
ohmyCLOD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #124

Nah I have to be 18 for Intrastate CDL here.
And yes I sorta started on axles but I may change my design up. Its been pouring rain here so I havent had a chance to get outside and cut more aluminum to finish my chassis. Will soon tho...hopefully tomorrow. Clear forecast haha.
Alljackedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #125

Has anyone told this guy about the old trick of using coat hangers for links and chewing gum for link ends. I cannot believe how many times that has saved me in a comp.

Honestly, good luck, it looks like you are making some serious headway. I completely rebuilt my Tamiya CR-01 but I had a cool platform to start with. I give you a ton of credit. Good luck.
J-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #126
Rock Stacker

best of luck
skin6061 is offline   Reply With Quote