Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: hello...too many choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Arrow hello...too many choices

hi!

im form the uk and im totally new to hubby r/c. originally i was thinking of going for the race cars or something but when i accidentally discover rc crawler i changed my mind.

i dont have one yet but ill have one soon!! i just cant decide what to get. too many choices.

i have these in sight:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.ph...n&ItemID=30491

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.ph...n&ItemID=28665

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.ph...n&ItemID=30564

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.ph...n&ItemID=32238

any suggestions? 1:10 is great. 1:18 is nice as well.

anyway, first things first... HELLO TO YOU GUYS!!!

gideon
ugly_giddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
RCC Addict

My .02:
If you are just getting into crawling and arent sure if you will like it or not, go with the Losi Mini Rock Crawler. And if you dont like it, you didnt put that much money into it. If you have been around crawlers and know you will like it I would go with the RTR or ARTR Axial. Hope this helps.

Justin
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

yah thanks. i thought of that as well. if this is just like an ordinary r/c car/truck that just goes on a flat surface i might get bored with it. :-(.

i think this is diff. too many terrain to choose from. you can even play in your livingroom. just stockup some books or something plus the settee and youve got a course. just me firing up my imagination. and what i like the most is costumization. i love doing this kind of stuff.

im not going to compete yet but someday i might.

thanks again
Old 03-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Then if i were you i would get the Axial RTR since you are sure you will like it and you will be able to use it as a comp rig in the future.

Justin
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

My personal opinion. If you're just getting into the hobby, look into going with the Losi Mini. Keep in mind however that those are alot smaller than the 1/10th scale rigs. I personally like the size of the 1/10th scales, so my actual advice to anyone looking to get into the hobby would be to go with the Axial. However, instead of the kit or RTR version, look at going with this one.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.ph...n&ItemID=30120

You get much better parts starting out than on the others. Then after you've driven it a time or two strip it completely down and clean and relube as needed. This will give you the experience of being able to build it back yourself so that you know how everything works and goes together. There are also a HUGE amount of upgrade parts available from differnt places for the AX10.

Then do some reading on here in the Axial section on what everyone is using as far as electronics and go from there. Try to keep it on the cheap side starting out, and if you get addicted like most everyone does you can then upgrade.

I can tell you these things are a whole different ball game compared to the racing cars and other vehicles. You don't need a flat surface to drive them at all, and they will just about go over anything if you pick out a line and have it set up good. There is also the aspect of being able to drive them inside on rainy days that you don't have with faster cars. You have enough low speed control that it isn't gonna get away from you and break things.

There's three sections here though, Axial, MRC, and Venom. Take some time and do some reading in each of those sections before you make your final decision, that way you have a good plan going into it and don't make the wrong decision that might lead you to not caring too much for the hobby.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #6

Let's kill a few birds with on stone, so to speak! Finally, I can post, view pictures, etc.

I agree with "MCScott" to a point, but - His point - "There's three sections here though, Axial, MRC, and Venom. Take some time and do some reading in each of those sections before you make your final decision, that way you have a good plan going into it and don't make the wrong decision that might lead you to not caring too much for the hobby". This cannot be said loud enough, long enough, nor printed in big enough letters.

Read and research - not only on this forum, but any others you can find! Including information on Radio's, Electronics, and Batteries.

Lets back up here first - I am new to Rock Crawling myself. However, not new to RC Cars. I main forte has been the Dirt Oval, with a few ventures to TC, Asphalt Oval, Off-Road. I possess a few dust collectors from some local/regional and National Races that I participated. I am hooked on RC Racing.

First problem a "newbie" has with this hobby is $$$. It can be terrifying, especially the cost of batteries.

I have always recommended, "buy the best you can for the dollars you have available." It is cheaper in the long run!

A RTR is a great starter, but lack quality in parts. Consequently, necessary upgrades and repair parts add up real quickly and get out of control. Radios, electronics, motors and batteries are usually the first or second up-grade a new guy will do! Another will be switching out plastic parts for aluminum and/or carbon fiber.

An ARTR is another great way to start too. The parts are a little better, but still leave some things still in the display cases.

In both of the above cases, the new guys mechanical ability is minimually addressed and can be extremely frustrating to him when it comes time to repair and/or upgrade. Knowing your toy and how its put together eases some of that frustration, especially when you get into competition between runs/heats. Even if you say you are going to bash with your buds, the competition will be there!

So IMO I cannot stress enough what MCScott said. Read, Read and do some more Reading. Nose around some R/C Racing. Don't matter what kind, just get to a track and watch the people for awhile. You will quickly be able to separate the "winners from the loosers and the guys that just happened to luck out". Plus you will get a good idea of common quality support equipment (tools, charges, spurs and pinion gears, tool boxes, car totes, et al.) you will need.

After reading this forum for months, I - Me - decided to put a kit AX-10 with a Novak Brushless Crawler System on the Rocks for less than $500.00. That quickly increased with changes to springs, mounting plates, and other little bells and whistles, I felt necessary. In my "others" RC cars - I had the servo's, receiver, batteries, radio's, chargers that saved me a little over $500.00 that I didn't spend on "upgrades". Though my spending on the AX-10 has been tempered by "not sure if I like Rock Crawlers". Remember, I do Dirt/Asphalt Ovals and like going fast! So I am going slow in more ways than one! I hope I mentioned that it was ME - I - who decided what I thought was best for me and best for the available $$$ I had.

So that brings us to another point. You will either get into the RC Hobby head over heals or want out real quickly. The resale value of your toy comes to the forefront. Check out the for-sales on this forum and see if you want take the loss of your investment. We are always looking for a deal and rarely will you be able to get the $$$ out of it that you put in!

This RC Hobby of mine, yeah, I got a lot of $$$ tied up in cars/parts and the works. If I had to do it all over again, I would have started 10-15 years earlier. I have had more fun than the $$$ invested. I have met some the best bunch of people, clowns and hacks in the world and I wouldn't trade any of them or the memories they've fostered for nothing in the world.

This is a great hobby, just be patient!
Rick Findley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:02 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

thanks!

i had been thinking. i might take the chance and go for the losi mini to start with. at least i can play this inside the house with my son. i dont have big rooms in the house u see.

where i live in england its almost always wet outside.:-(.

at least ive got something to look forward to upgrade. that tym ill get the 1:10 axial or venum.

see how it goes.

btw, when u buy the assembled car can u strip it down and put it back again? can u mix and match parts as long as it fits and looks ok?

thanks again!
Old 03-18-2009, 05:14 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

There are alot of UK Crawlers...Looks like you already found the UK threads... I would show up at one of there GTG's or Comps and talk to them. If you got a MRC... It won't be able to comp with the 2.2's.. And I'm guess the 1.9's aren't near as active.

I would buy a Axial Kit or Berg axles and build one from the ground up. Do your research and learn to build and set one up. Thats 99% of the fun. Tuning and testing is the best part. Comps are just a small part of this sport. Stay away from the Venom.. They seem to be breaking way to easy. Just about everyone I know who bought one is trying to sell it already.

Panthers work great when it's wet.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

thanks! i agree on you on that one. building your own and seeing it works is very rewarding. modifying rules!!!! thats what i do with my pc but thats another story.

btw, when you say build one from the ground up, do u mean to buy a kit, assembled or rtr then modify it? like upgrade, replace the parts u dont like and add some?

thanks!!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Yeah, when you buy one that's already assemebled, you can, and I would highly suggest, taking it completely apart soon after you get it, clean and regrease parts as needed, and reassemble. That is the best way to learn how these things go together.

As for building from the ground up, what he means by that is that you only buy the parts you need for the build. That way you don't waste money on parts that you aren't going to use. Take with Axial axles: If you are going to upgrade knuckles, c's, lockers, and gears, then there's no reason to buy a kit that has all the stock parts. Just buy the housings, gears, knuckles, and c's that you want, along with the bearings and axle shafts. Same way with buying Berg axles instead of a kit with parts in it that you aren't going to use.

To me you may want to at least buy one kit, rtr, or artr and rebuild it so that you'll know what you need when you get ready to build one from scratch.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

thanks guys for your BIG HELP!!!! much appreciated!!!!

for MCSCOTT: ill dig into what you said.

btw, in buying remote controls, whats the key things that i need to look at? i mean theres a lot of rc out there. any difference? im just wondering if i get one i want to stick on that one for a while at least. like an all rounder. like i can use it on different builds/make. is that possible?
can i use remote control with a diff brand receiver?

thanks!!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

In all honesty as far as radios go, I believe the MRC comes with a decent one to use with it, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Anything else I would strongly suggest saving up for a Spektrum DX3R. It's expensive, but in my opinion it's well worth the investment. To me it's like insurance for your crawler because you wont have to worry about glitching issues that may cause your truck to go off on it's on and run out into traffic, or off a rock bluff into a creek. It's easy to setup, you have all the adjustments you need, and a good 3rd channel for a dig setup.

Also, the DX3R lets you select from 30 different models on one transmitter. With this in mind, if you build a second truck, all you have to buy is the receiver and you can bind it to another model on the transmitter.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSCOTT View Post
In all honesty as far as radios go, I believe the MRC comes with a decent one to use with it, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Anything else I would strongly suggest saving up for a Spektrum DX3R. It's expensive, but in my opinion it's well worth the investment. To me it's like insurance for your crawler because you wont have to worry about glitching issues that may cause your truck to go off on it's on and run out into traffic, or off a rock bluff into a creek. It's easy to setup, you have all the adjustments you need, and a good 3rd channel for a dig setup.

Also, the DX3R lets you select from 30 different models on one transmitter. With this in mind, if you build a second truck, all you have to buy is the receiver and you can bind it to another model on the transmitter.

well said! thank you!! its better to get a good 1 that you can rely on.

dig setup? dont understand.

Last edited by ugly_giddy; 03-18-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

[quote=
dig setup? dont understand.[/quote]

sorry i know what u mean. i had a look at the glossary.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #15

Default Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly_giddy View Post
hi!

im form the uk and im totally new to hubby r/c. originally i was thinking of going for the race cars or something but when i accidentally discover rc crawler i changed my mind.

i dont have one yet but ill have one soon!! i just cant decide what to get. too many choices.

i have these in sight:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.ph...n&ItemID=30491

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.ph...n&ItemID=28665

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.ph...n&ItemID=30564

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.ph...n&ItemID=32238

any suggestions? 1:10 is great. 1:18 is nice as well.

anyway, first things first... HELLO TO YOU GUYS!!!

gideon

I have Axial AX-10, level 2 mod, 85T motor, only used approx 2 charges, will sell 300
DTCHRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

guys, how about tools that ill need? any suggestions? i have the very basic like longnose pliers (mini), cutters , etc. any special tools?

thanks!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Get a good set of hex drivers in the smaller sizes. You can get by with just some allen wrenches, but the hex drivers make things so much easier and strip your hex screws out less. Also depending on what all you get electronics wise you might want to look into a good soldering station. Once you really get into the hobby you'll be looking on tons of hobby sites trying to put together an ultimate toolbox with every single thing you need in there tool wise, as well as tons of spare parts once you start seeing what breaks on a regular basis.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

if i dont buy a kit and just get diff parts individually to build my machine, w/c one should i buy first and then the next like a list. if u can suggest what make as well it'll b gran. but then again i wont have the instruction manual to put these pieces together.

thanks

Last edited by ugly_giddy; 03-20-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:23 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

ill get the losi mrc kit for now. i think the parts for this kind of crawler isnt available compare to the 2.2's. i cant build this without buying the kit.

ill build my 2.2s from scratch. buy 1 part or something at a time. i might need lists of parts for this and some make/brand recommendations.

thanks. more power to all!