Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help a Brother Out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Help a Brother Out

Okay, I am hooked. I have watched enough videos to know that I want a crawler. I have also narrowed it down to an Axial. Here come the questions. I just ordered an Associated R18T to run on a local carpet track. It hasn't even come in yet so money is a little low. I am confused at all the configurations different shops are selling the Scorpion in. Not sure if I will ever do any competitive crawling because I don't know how much is going on in my area. I want a truck I can go out and have a good time with. I also like to tinker a little. Not sure if the RTR kit is good enough. I know I will slowly upgrade parts but I also don't want to have to upgrade everything. It would be nice to have a good start. Right now I have about $400 I can spend. Can I get a good start with this or should I wait? Should I just get the RTR kit and slowly build it up? I really want to jump into this. I wish I had made this decision before I ordered my R18T. Then money wouldn't be such a big deal. I had a local hobby shop order it for me and I don't want to tell him I want something else now. He is just starting out and not sure how he would handle it. So what should I get?
h2daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
20K Club

First welcome to the forum.

The RTR is probably a good place for you to start. It is cheap enough that you can get it and save some of the extra cash for the first things you want to change. I would suggest getting some saddle packs for it right away. Everything else can be slowly upgraded as you see fit.

It is a great section of RC, you will learn that many parts can be built to save you even more cash
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The RTR is a good place to start, however there are alot of parts that will need upgrading very very soon. Personally I would get the ARTR, sadly they only come in orange. Then get a Hi Tech 645 servo, and someting like the Novak crawler combo or Tekin FXR combo. Try to get a good radio starting out, or at least the best you can afford. After that you should be good to go. If you don't like the color that much, after you drive it and get addicted you will want to build a second one anyway so you can just build it in different colors.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

or you could always buy a star & shop here in the for sale...maybe pick up an already modded ax10 for a good price....just a thought..
sandblaster87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandblaster87 View Post
or you could always buy a star & shop here in the for sale...maybe pick up an already modded ax10 for a good price....just a thought..
Always a good option
Old 03-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I don't mind buying used. Being so new, I am not sure I would know what to look for and what is worth buying.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandblaster87 View Post
After your idea I decided to check out the classifieds and can't find them. Then I see something about buying a star. Not sure what that means.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Since you say you just bought a R18, I'll assume you have things like a radio, charger, etc already.
If so, then I would steer clear of the RTR version, and get the ARTR.
For budget reasons, then, buy a FXR combo, and another receiver, and possibly another battery, and you're set.

Last edited by syber70; 03-18-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: typo
syber70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2daddy View Post
After your idea I decided to check out the classifieds and can't find them. Then I see something about buying a star. Not sure what that means.
Check out the forum rules link at the top of the page.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Check out the forum rules link at the top of the page.
Gotcha. I looked there but overlooked it the first time.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I've seen some good deals lately on nice axials loaded with lots of good stuff minus radio and receiver in the $250 range. Seems like most of the time you will need to find a seperate deal on that. Look around and be patient.
brokenb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I bought the last couple i got used in fact one was from harley
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

i would buy the artr comes with all alum instead of plastic that you are going to have to replace with the alum any way
stubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Hey Harley, got any laying around?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #15

The artr does come with a lot of upgrades that you will eventually want to do anyway, but the rtr gets you up and running immediately. Crawling with your rig will show you where you need improvements. And yes there will be a lot of tinkering in your future
ohsoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

The artr will save ya $ in the long run, but not much. I would look used or the artr
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/25843
fxr combo: https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...n=TEKTT2104and hitec HS-7955T Ghttp://www.rcsuperstore.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=HS-7955TG&Search.x=16&Search.y=9
and what ever receiver ya need for your radio. The batt and charger for the r18 can be shared. A little more than your $400 budget but that should give ya good start and ya won't end up throwing it all away like with the rtr which you will only keep the axle housings and trany.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Went by the hobby shop today and my R18T had come in. Turns out the radio was bad so Associated is sending a new radio. Owner let me borrow his until the new one gets here. I drove it around the track for about five minutes and came to the realization that I really don't want the thing. I want a crawler. As soon as the radio comes in, this baby is going on ebay if I can't find anybody to buy it sooner. Bad part is that I had ordered a set of foam tires and a set of body posts and a 1600 battery for it also so I am sure I will loose a little bit on it. That is okay, I want a crawler. Thanks guys for your opinions on what to get. This site is just awesome with the information
Old 03-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #18

ill buy your 1/18 scale. ave always wanted one. pm me and we will talk
killrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Came home today and found a surprise in the mailbox. An expense check for $275 for a trip I took a few weeks ago. Now it's time to get serious. Sale the R18T and I am good to go.