Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Berg Newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Lightbulb Berg Newbie

I am new to the RC Crawling world, but after so research I have decided to get started with a Berg crawler. My question is where do I start. I know I have to find a chassis kit, motors x 2, esc x2, servo x 1, batteries (lipo) and a radio and reciever. Where do I find how to install the listed equipment? How do I wire the equipment together for the best results? I have searched and havent found a newbie sticky with this information. Any would be appreciated. I dont expect anyone to hold my hand while I learn how to build my berg. I would just like some starting guidance. I have read the forum post and searched as much as possible for information. I just dont seem to be finding the information to get me started with my build. Thanks in advance.
BMFOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #2

Welcome, All you have to do is check out some of the build threads in this forum. Some of these guys are so detailed its like instructions to a kit. That's how I built mine. Then all you have to do is decide which parts you want to use for your build. I Never had to post a question. Thanks guys!

Good luck and have fun w/ your build BMFOTP

Last edited by dx-dow; 03-21-2009 at 11:09 AM.
dx-dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

[quote=BMFOTP;1692339]I am new to the RC Crawling world, but after so research I have decided to get started with a Berg crawler. My question is where do I start. I know I have to find a chassis kit, motors x 2, esc x2, servo x 1, batteries (lipo) and a radio and reciever. thisWhere do I find how to install the listed equipment? How do I wire the equipment together for the best results? I have searched and havent found a newbie sticky with information. Any would be appreciated. I dont expect anyone to hold my hand while I learn how to build my berg. I would just like some starting guidance. I have read the forum post and searched as much as possible for information. I just dont seem to be finding the information to get me started with my build. Thanks in advance.[/quote

Don't be so lazy. Read the threads in this section. Your answers are there. I'm not bashing on you I just hate to see people say they have searched then in the next sentence post up stupid uneducated (have not read anything on this site) questions. Read about the builds in this section
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

you dont need 2 esc's for a berg...you only need 1 good one either a FXR or a Mamba Max
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
you dont need 2 esc's for a berg...you only need 1 good one either a FXR or a Mamba Max
Thanks for the information. The fewer parts I have to buy the more money I can use on the ones I do buy.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx-dow View Post
Welcome, All you have to do is check out some of the build threads in this forum. Some of these guys are so detailed its like instructions to a kit. That's how I built mine. Then all you have to do is decide which parts you want to use for your build. I Never had to post a question. Thanks guys!

Good luck and have fun w/ your build BMFOTP
Thanks.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

[quote=JIA's Dad;1692361]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFOTP View Post
I am new to the RC Crawling world, but after so research I have decided to get started with a Berg crawler. My question is where do I start. I know I have to find a chassis kit, motors x 2, esc x2, servo x 1, batteries (lipo) and a radio and reciever. thisWhere do I find how to install the listed equipment? How do I wire the equipment together for the best results? I have searched and havent found a newbie sticky with information. Any would be appreciated. I dont expect anyone to hold my hand while I learn how to build my berg. I would just like some starting guidance. I have read the forum post and searched as much as possible for information. I just dont seem to be finding the information to get me started with my build. Thanks in advance.[/quote

Don't be so lazy. Read the threads in this section. Your answers are there. I'm not bashing on you I just hate to see people say they have searched then in the next sentence post up stupid uneducated (have not read anything on this site) questions. Read about the builds in this section
Really dont care what you think about what people post on these threads. Some people dont have the time to sit and read these threads all day. Some of us have lives and would like to be a part of this hobby without having to take anything away from other aspects of our lives. I understand you have been here a while and know a great deal about this hobby. So in stead of posting negative comments just dont say anything at all to the people who post comment you dont feel are appropriate for the thread. Let the people who want to reply do that and everyone will be happy.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

[quote=BMFOTP;1692508]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIA's Dad View Post

Really dont care what you think about what people post on these threads. Some people dont have the time to sit and read these threads all day. Some of us have lives and would like to be a part of this hobby without having to take anything away from other aspects of our lives. I understand you have been here a while and know a great deal about this hobby. So in stead of posting negative comments just dont say anything at all to the people who post comment you dont feel are appropriate for the thread. Let the people who want to reply do that and everyone will be happy.
It's the web. I can say what I want, went I want, Unless Badger or Jason says no. If you don't like people calling you LAZY Read the damn threads like most on here and LEARN FOR YOURSELF. Don't expect everyone to just point out all the info for you. ANd I still say

YOU ARE LAZY!!!

But if you want to read and learn try this thread:
http://rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119526

Last edited by JIA's Dad; 03-21-2009 at 04:15 PM.
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIA's Dad View Post
Don't expect everyone to just point out all the info for you. ANd I still say
He does have a point though, the forum could use some Build threads to get people started.

Last edited by John_The_vauLt; 03-21-2009 at 04:29 PM.
John_The_vauLt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_The_vauLt View Post
He does have a point though, the forum could use some Build threads to get people started.
Well, I just looked thru the Berg section and on the first page there are over 15 build threads!

I would have to agree with JIA's Dad, just about any combination of build can be found in this section. Read the build thread and most if not ALL of our questions can be answered. And if you have a specific question about something someone did it their build, ask them in their build thread! You'll more than likely get a better answer than the one you'll get here.

Last edited by redbaron; 03-21-2009 at 05:02 PM.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

First thing you learn out here is that a lot of dudes have big-ish mouths and love to use them. Sadly most of the time, even if it's harsh, they are right. Every first timer has to run the gauntlet.

Find a build you would like to mimic and ask the builder about it. The pics he'll have, or can provide will be a huge help. Most builders I find on here love to talk about their own truck, so bounce some questions off of them. I personally try to make all my own stuff, it never turns out 80's glam billet, but it works good.
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
Well, I just looked thru the Berg section and on the first page there are over 15 build threads!

Let me refine what was meant by Build Thread, It would be great to have a thread guiding newbies on what they need, what is popular, and WHY they need certain setup's or custom part's. The custom jobs people are doing here are great to learn from, but you could save some time in the beginning if people such as myself had the 411 on building a custom Berg Crawler.

The way you guys do things here are perfect for someone who has wrapped they're head around the idea of a custom rig, but for those just starting to look into it a Build 101 would speed things up.

Last edited by John_The_vauLt; 03-22-2009 at 12:05 AM.
John_The_vauLt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

[quote=JIA's Dad;1692709]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFOTP View Post

But if you want to read and learn try this thread:
http://rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119526
Thanks for the hyper link to the video.

The point I am trying to make is that I dont want to just copy someone else's build. I want to learn what the components do and what is the best way to set up my crawler. I am not trying to be lazy. I am learning to search the forum better everyday. Everyone has to start somewhere and learning to use the right search parameters isnt that easy. I just want a little guidance on how to get started in this new hobby. If that is to much to ask them maybe I have started in the wrong hobby.:-(
Old 03-22-2009, 07:20 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks for that point. I am willing to do the work and search the forums for answers. I just need a little guidance to get started in this hobby.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post

I would have to agree with JIA's Dad, just about any combination of build can be found in this section. Read the build thread and most if not ALL of our questions can be answered. And if you have a specific question about something someone did it their build, ask them in their build thread! You'll more than likely get a better answer than the one you'll get here.
Thanks for that tip.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
First thing you learn out here is that a lot of dudes have big-ish mouths and love to use them. Sadly most of the time, even if it's harsh, they are right. Every first timer has to run the gauntlet.

Find a build you would like to mimic and ask the builder about it. The pics he'll have, or can provide will be a huge help. Most builders I find on here love to talk about their own truck, so bounce some questions off of them. I personally try to make all my own stuff, it never turns out 80's glam billet, but it works good.
I dont mind running the gauntlet as look as I know there is an end to the torment. I have seen several builds I would like to mimmick, but I would still like to know what are some good components and why they are considered good to build a crawler. I would like to deviate from the original build by using other manufacuters components. To add my own flare to my crawler. No one wants to make an exact replica of another persons crawler.

I dont have the tools yet to make my own components or modifications.

Last edited by BMFOTP; 03-22-2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: add information
Old 03-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Let me refine what was meant by Build Thread, It would be great to have a thread guiding newbies on what they need, what is popular, and WHY they need certain setup's or custom part's. The custom jobs people are doing here are great to learn from, but you could save some time in the beginning if people such as myself had the 411 on building a custom Berg Crawler.

The way you guys do things here are perfect for someone who has wrapped they're head around the idea of a custom rig, but for those just starting to look into it a Build 101 would speed things up.
I know you are going to get trashed for your post, but you stated what I am trying to say perfectly in your post. I dont have a lot of time or money to waste on trial and error. I know I am going to make mistakes, but if I had a little guidance at the start it would help me learn and enjoy this hobby.