Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Battery Voltage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Battery Voltage

I was looking for a battery pack for my Axial RTR and I found three battery packs with different voltage. The ratings are 7.2, 8.4 and 9.6 volts. The Mah are all the same 1500. They are 6, 7 and 8 cells respectively. I want to know if all these battery packs are okay to use on an Axial RTR and if so which will give me the best run time and performance? All the Axials electronics are standard for the RTR.
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Batteries-p-1-c-123.html

Last edited by BMFOTP; 03-22-2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: add information
BMFOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Looking at the specs on your esc from what I can tell you would be fine running any of those packs. Your run time should be roughly the same with any of those. The more cells you have the more power you will have. Personally I run the 8 cell packs, and even though my setup is different the 1500mah 2/3a cells give about 1 hour of run time. You might see a little less with the stock RTR motor though, but I would say you will get somewhere around this. If you're currently running one of the big 6cell stick packs, you should see a difference in power if you go to the 8 cell packs, or you could run the 6 cell packs and have about the same power. Main difference in these is around that 1500mah mark is as big as they get, where the bigger packs you can go much higher on mah for more run time. However, when you consider the size difference of these cells, and the fact that you can have them on the front axle where they need to be, it's well worth a little shorter run times in my opinion. Try a 7 or 8 cell pack, I don't think you will be disappointed. Just make sure you have a good charger that is adjustable so you can charge at or below the 1.5a rating.

Last edited by MCSCOTT; 03-22-2009 at 10:21 AM.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If it's the Axial AE-1 ESC, I believe it's input voltage is 5-10 cells (6v-12v). Don't quote me on that. Do a search on the specific ESC model you have.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSCOTT View Post
Looking at the specs on your esc from what I can tell you would be fine running any of those packs. Your run time should be roughly the same with any of those. The more cells you have the more power you will have. Personally I run the 8 cell packs, and even though my setup is different the 1500mah 2/3a cells give about 1 hour of run time. You might see a little less with the stock RTR motor though, but I would say you will get somewhere around this. If you're currently running one of the big 6cell stick packs, you should see a difference in power if you go to the 8 cell packs, or you could run the 6 cell packs and have about the same power. Main difference in these is around that 1500mah mark is as big as they get, where the bigger packs you can go much higher on mah for more run time. However, when you consider the size difference of these cells, and the fact that you can have them on the front axle where they need to be, it's well worth a little shorter run times in my opinion. Try a 7 or 8 cell pack, I don't think you will be disappointed. Just make sure you have a good charger that is adjustable so you can charge at or below the 1.5a rating.
Thanks for your through answer to my question. I am going to try the 8 cell pack and see what sort of power difference there is between the 8 cell pack and my 6 cell stick. Plus I am sure the added weight to the front axel will be a significant help and my Axial can finally stop flipping over backward onto its top.

Here is another newbie question. When I move my ESC and Receiver from the battery plate to one of those link plate. Do I just pull the electronics off and reattach them with double sided tape? Or is there something special I need to do to the electronics?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
If it's the Axial AE-1 ESC, I believe it's input voltage is 5-10 cells (6v-12v). Don't quote me on that. Do a search on the specific ESC model you have.
I forget that I can search the web for answers concerning crawlers. Your answer is correct, The Axial AE - 1 voltage is 5-10 cells. My next question is how did you convert the cells to volts?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

each cell has a voltage of 1.2v
456heinbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 456heinbach View Post
each cell has a voltage of 1.2v
Thanks.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFOTP View Post

Here is another newbie question. When I move my ESC and Receiver from the battery plate to one of those link plate. Do I just pull the electronics off and reattach them with double sided tape? Or is there something special I need to do to the electronics?
That would be correct. Make sure you get some good double sided tape though. I usually also add at least one zip tie just to make sure nothing moves. My rigs have been beatin on pretty hard, hard enough to jar them loose from the 2sided tape on occasion.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote