Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to crawling, this is my shoping list for my first crawler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #1

Default New to crawling, this is my shoping list for my first crawler.

Hello everyone, my name is Everett and I am new to crawling but I am going to get into it and I have a shoping list!

Axial AX10 Kit
Spektrum DX3R Radio
Goat Brushless System
Novak Goat Crawler Brushless ESC
18.5-Turn crawler sintered Brushless Motor
Hitec HS-5955 TG

I was wondering what else I will need to purchase, I plan on purchasing various aluminum parts etc for the AX10. I also need to know what I need to purchase to have my truck powered by Li-Po.

Thank You
xXIRONMANXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

do you have a charger? dig unit?
azfabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #3

I am planning on purchasing a dig unit also, still doing some research as to what one I am going with. I am planning on purchasing a lipo charger too.
xXIRONMANXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Great start, it's what I have. One thing I realized early ( along with tons of other things ) was tires and the weight in them is very important. What plans do you have for that?
69mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I have been running a Goat for the past year. It was in my comp truck last year, and is now in my scaler. This is a great system, but if you plan on going Lipo, I would recommend against it. The Goat is limited to 2 cell Lipo. Considering that you want to go Lipo, I would recommend the following combo:

Tekin FX-R ESC
Holmes Hobby Handwound Motor in a 45T
Castle Creations BEC

This will give you a powerful/torque filled combo that has a strong drag brake. The BEC will allow for the ESC to work properly while giving your steering servo all the power that it needs. The FX-R will also allow 3 Cell Lipos. Total cost this way will be VERY similar to the cost of the Goat system, but will give you a better comp system.

The other respondants are right with recommending a good tire/wheel/weight setup. I would also recommend stronger/smoother shocks ($40-$50), and a comp quality chassis ($50-$60).
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Very true about the lipo thing, good point. I still run a spilt 6 cell. One thing to take into acount is why we " upgrade " things. When I first started, I built my own tuber ( very funny looking back ) however it helped me learn why and what was important about crawlin (this may be different for everyone) but I enjoyed finding out what shocks and oil, and tire and weight combo etc. To understand why the upgrade is needed. My advise is to build the ax-10 almost stock and go from there, the journey is sometimes better than the destination good luck and have fun.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mutt View Post
Very true about the lipo thing, good point. I still run a spilt 6 cell. One thing to take into acount is why we " upgrade " things. When I first started, I built my own tuber ( very funny looking back ) however it helped me learn why and what was important about crawlin (this may be different for everyone) but I enjoyed finding out what shocks and oil, and tire and weight combo etc. To understand why the upgrade is needed. My advise is to build the ax-10 almost stock and go from there, the journey is sometimes better than the destination good luck and have fun.

The journey on the first one is interesting....and $$$$....the following ones are more reasonable. The learning is VERY important, and it carries a cost, but knowledge is not always free.

Things that will cost thru learning:

Driveshafts
Alum Cs and Hubs
Hardened Gears
Delrin Links
Hardened Lockers
Dig
4 Link Plates
Foams
Pinions
Springs

All worth the cost. Education is not cheap. Learning to make your own parts helps a little.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Good list.Yhea I got a couple(10) broken driveshafts (finally upgraded) and don't forget servo horns and rod ends
Old 03-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #9

WOW!! I wish i had that kind of money! great job so far!
caspers_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote