Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Lowering COG Help Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Wholy crap. That was the best explanation of anything I have received since I have joined this forum. SWX chassis and Losi Shocks $150+ dollars. Using spacer to reduce COG, priceless. I will get an SWX and Losi shocks as soon as I can get the money. Tough times in this economy. Once again thanks.

Last edited by BMFOTP; 04-05-2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: added information
BMFOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
The real thing I noticed was not so much adding weight to rims, but rather to focus on weight balance. Adding lead weight can help and hurt you at times. For me it was putting more strain on driveshafts and making the rig tip easier on verticles. Then I messed with link geometry and found it far superior to overall performance. So key things are weight placement, and balance and link geometry. Once you get the rig were you want it then practice with that as much as possible. That is my 2 cents.
Link geometry

I have a 4 link set up on my crawler. Are you telling me now I have to do geometry in order to get my crawler its best COG?

I have an 8 pack battery on the front axle. I have moved my ESC and Receiver to the top links. Should I have moved any of this to a different location to improve my link geometry?

Please explain in simple terms if possible or post a hyperlink to a thread I can read to learn more about this link geometry.

Thanks for responding to my post.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFOTP View Post
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.

Why do you suggest the Swx chassis over the others that are available?

The HaVoc Chassis

http://www.jpcustomrcs.atomicshops.c...89/6697097.htm

Ares chassis from AKRCC

http://www.akrcc.com/product.html

Thees are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.
The Havoc shouldn't be the first choice for a newbie for a Shafty.... The HellStrom is a much better choice for Shafty's.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:31 AM   #24

i just bought a set o losi shocks for my artr and they made a huge difference in the smoothness and lowered the center of gravity a bit as well
kingfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:30 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

The chassis werent listed in any specific order. I just listed the chassis I knew about off the top of my head. Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for the heads up on the Hellstorm chassis.

I am very interested in your Warrior 2 35T engine. Will contact you once I get this COG situation under control.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:32 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfoss View Post
i just bought a set o losi shocks for my artr and they made a huge difference in the smoothness and lowered the center of gravity a bit as well
Can you explain how shocks smoothed out your crawler?

Any idea how much the Losi shocks lower your crawler?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

First thing you need to do is have your Front Wheel/Foam/Tires weight from 12oz-16oz each... The Rears anywhere from 10oz-12oz. Do this first and report back.

Next Step will be choose a Chassis that lets you pick a better performing Shock and a better link arrangement.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
First thing you need to do is have your Front Wheel/Foam/Tires weight from 12oz-16oz each... The Rears anywhere from 10oz-12oz. Do this first and report back.

Next Step will be choose a Chassis that lets you pick a better performing Shock and a better link arrangement.
I dont have a scale on hand, but here is what I think my tires weigh.

Wheel - Proline Racing 2.2 Eight Shooter Beadlock Wheel: 3.2 oz each
Tire - Team Losi Rock Claw 2.2 tires: 4.3 oz each
Foam - Proline Racing 2.2 Oversized Rock Crawling Memory Foam: 1.6 oz each
Weight - Stick on weight: 4 oz

Total of 13.1 oz per wheel. If my calculations are correct? These weight are based on the weights listed on the TCS website for two of each so I cut the weight in half for the calcuations.

I dont know what to look for to evaluate a chassis. All I know is that a chassis should have a lot of holes for link and shock adjustments.

A better shock than the stock Axial AX 10 Shock? Or better than the Losi 4" shock?

I have the 4 link set up on my crawler. I am not sure I have it set up right but it is on my crawler.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I know it can be a pain talking to new crawlers.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun (yota) View Post
I would recomend getting a new chassis like the Swx. I wouldn't waste much time in the stock chassis.

or you could research suspension geometry, squat vs anti-squat and drill your own mounting points

my stock chassies rules now.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I would recomend getting a new chassis like the Swx. I wouldn't waste much time in the stock chassis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFOTP View Post
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.

Why do you suggest the Swx chassis over the others that are available?

The HaVoc Chassis

http://www.jpcustomrcs.atomicshops.c...89/6697097.htm

Ares chassis from AKRCC

http://www.akrcc.com/product.html

Thees are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.
Cause it comes with the links. Most new people are scared to my links so I figured it would be easier. All the chasis you said are good the SWX would be alot easier to start off with. I ran a SW3 with Wheely king axles then I put Axail axles under it was very happy with both set ups. The SWX isn't much different then the SW3.
Shaun (yota) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

here's a good thread on 4 link
Anti Squat and Suspension Tech
Shaun (yota) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Default Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
or you could research suspension geometry, squat vs anti-squat and drill your own mounting points

my stock chassies rules now.
I think I will stick with getting a new chassis vs having to read more at this time. I have learned so much that at times I feel overwhelmed with all the information. At this time all I am trying to learn to do is lower my crawlers COG. At some later date I will attemp to learn suspension geometry and squat vs anti squat informatioin. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Cause it comes with the links. Most new people are scared to my links so I figured it would be easier. All the chasis you said are good the SWX would be alot easier to start off with. I ran a SW3 with Wheely king axles then I put Axail axles under it was very happy with both set ups. The SWX isn't much different then the SW3.
Easy is good at this point. Plus the addition of the links and the instructions on set up would be very helpful when I set up the chassis.

Thanks for replying to my post.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
here's a good thread on 4 link
Anti Squat and Suspension Tech
Thanks for the hyperlink. I will add the thread to my favorites and read the information at a later date. Trying to wrap my head around everything I have already learned about crawling.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #35

smoothhness of articulation from the stock shocks i think it lowered it about an inch
kingfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfoss View Post
smoothhness of articulation from the stock shocks i think it lowered it about an inch
Okay, thanks for the response.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

once you understand squat and anti-squat then you can tune ur rig and make it climb real well.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
once you understand squat and anti-squat then you can tune ur rig and make it climb real well.
I understand what you are saying about squat and anti squat, but right now I am working on learning the basics of a crawler and how to begin to set up a crawler and what to look for as I test my crawler. As in any endeavor the basics are the foundation on which all advanced techniques stand on for support.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Default Shock Mod

Last night I finally modified my crawlers standard shock. I took out the black spacer that was inside the shock and added a 1 inch nylon spacer. This lower the shock 1/2 inch. I know I could have lower the shock more, but I am trying to experiment and see how my crawler reacts to this change before I do more modification. I am sure I will reduce the shock a total of 1 inch just for practice. I have ordered some Losi shocks and will put those on when they arrive to me. Thanks everyone for your help.

My COG is still high, my crawler wont stay on its side. Any additional ideas on how I can lower my crawlers COG?

I have already moved the battery (8 cell split pack) to the front axle, moved the ESC and received to the upper links, added 3 1/2 oz of weight to each rim (have to go to the LHS for more weights) and shortened the standared Axial shocks by approximately 1/2 inch (put a spacer inside the shock).
Old 04-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #40
Just jump it!

Lets see some new pics! (For ideas). You can take that plate off the top if nothing is on it.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote