Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Lipo voltage error but no puff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Lipo voltage error but no puff

My ESC got a software upgrade and the settings reset. In a rush, I forgot to reset the voltage cutoff for 3S. It was set for no-cutoff. I ran until the ESC quit... but the servos were still going. The truck didn't slowly lose power like it does just before the voltage cutoff... it just quit.

The lipo is not hot and it didn't puff really. I plugged it into the charger and it won't charge due to a voltage error. I plugged in the balancer and it tries to balance... but then it gives an error.

Is it just a simple matter of me toasting a battery or did something else happen that caused a voltage error?

I just expected more signs from a completely dead lipo???
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

From my experience in ruining lipos, they will only puff if you try and pull too many amps out of them at one time. If the amp draw is within the limits of the battery, and you go below three volts per cell, they just die with no puffing or real obvious sign that it's toast other than when you feel the voltage start to drop. Sometimes I will notice my lipos starting to get close to the LVC before it actually hits the lvc. This is my experience with the 3 lipos I have destroyed over the years.
fullsyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:40 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Harvo if you charge it very slowly on NIMH until the cells are over the 3.0V limit, then charge in lipo mode and balance like normal, the pack should recover so that its usable again. Though it probably has lost some of its capacity.
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33pownr View Post
Harvo if you charge it very slowly on NIMH until the cells are over the 3.0V limit, then charge in lipo mode and balance like normal, the pack should recover so that its usable again. Though it probably has lost some of its capacity.
X2

Zap them on NIMh mode then charge them like normal. If it gets a little worm after charging in NIMH mode, I've been told properly charging a lipo battery is supposed to help cool it. Does your charger have a lipo recovery mode?
P1choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thanks! I put about 200 ma in it in nimh mode, and finished it off with the proper lipo charge. It charged up to capacity.

Thanks again... Battery saved.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote