Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Shock Oil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Shock Oil

What is a good shok oil weight to start with?
griz2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

I start with 35 or 40wt. Anything lower than 30 seems to result in some pretty floppy suspension. But oil weight will also depend on your suspension configuration, the weight of the rig, etc...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks alot
Old 05-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

ya its a lot of trial and error, but generally speaking spring set ups use a lighter oil and droop uses heavier, i run full droop and have 80wt all around
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

i started with 35wt with a sprung system then went to 70wt with droop, but i'm gonna go to 60wt and see how that works....i need just a tad faster response...............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I run 50wt in all of my shocks.It is a good starting point and seems to provide a firm yet movable suspension and very smooth action.But that depends on the weight of your rig also.But 50 wt is great to start with.
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I have some 45wt is that going to be close enough to 50wt or should I get some 50?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz2575 View Post
I have some 45wt is that going to be close enough to 50wt or should I get some 50?
45 will work you just fine.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Kool thanks.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

I think it depends on what the truck set up is. I run 30 in the front of my AX10 and 55/85 in the rear. But i only run 10wt in my Berg. Both use Losi White springs. Also, the amount of holes in the piston can make a difference too.

Trial and error :o)
wknl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wknl View Post
I think it depends on what the truck set up is. I run 30 in the front of my AX10 and 55/85 in the rear. But i only run 10wt in my Berg. Both use Losi White springs. Also, the amount of holes in the piston can make a difference too.

Trial and error :o)

Trial and error is right! I have soft Losi springs and 45wt oil front and rear on my scx-10, and its pretty close for me.

Depends on your rig and driving style.
ballman6711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

people think im crazy but i run 17 1/2wt i love my SPRUNG set up it reacts fast like my driving style and i only have a tad bit of tourqe twist but it isn enough to bother me. one or 2 hole in my pistions is what im running. good luck
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz2575 View Post
Yah 45 weight will be just fine,It will make the suspension react just a little faster which may suit your style of driving.Either way it's a good place to start out.Then you can go lighter or heavier depending on the reaction speed of you suspension.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

so I take it as the lower the wt the thinner the oil, so the faster it allows the shock to go up?? how about the " holes " on the round piece inside the shock?? more hole = faster flow??
Happy_trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_trucker View Post
so I take it as the lower the wt the thinner the oil, so the faster it allows the shock to go up?? how about the " holes " on the round piece inside the shock?? more hole = faster flow??
Yes,the more holes the faster it will let the fluid pass by,therefore speeding it up...I myself usually use whatever valve that comes stock with the shocks,most only come with one set anyways and adjust the speed of the the shock with different weight fluid.But you can do whatever youd like,testin and tuning is how you will get the best set up for your driving anyways...But as I stated I have had great success with 50wt..Something closs to that is great place to start.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

how about if my shocks are not bottomed out and it starts to " lift " the truck? if I manually compress the shocks by lifting the wheel, I notice I have a little more travel before it bottom out, I think I lose a little articulation when this happens, do I use a softer spring? OP sorry about the thread jack
Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_trucker View Post
how about if my shocks are not bottomed out and it starts to " lift " the truck? if I manually compress the shocks by lifting the wheel, I notice I have a little more travel before it bottom out, I think I lose a little articulation when this happens, do I use a softer spring? OP sorry about the thread jack
Yah you could use a softer spring,or lighter weight oil.But a little lift is not always a bad thing,sometimes it helps make your rig more predictable IMO.What I mean is if you are liftting the front wheel and the rear rises before full compression of the front shock,saying that the front shock is close to full compression,I have noticed that it helps to carry the rear tire over holes or such where if it was set up softer they would fall in and can sometime hang you up.But like I said testing and tuning to your personal driving style is what will make the difference in the end.I hope this answers your question.If not let me know.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepial View Post
Yah you could use a softer spring,or lighter weight oil.But a little lift is not always a bad thing,sometimes it helps make your rig more predictable IMO.What I mean is if you are liftting the front wheel and the rear rises before full compression of the front shock,saying that the front shock is close to full compression,I have noticed that it helps to carry the rear tire over holes or such where if it was set up softer they would fall in and can sometime hang you up.But like I said testing and tuning to your personal driving style is what will make the difference in the end.I hope this answers your question.If not let me know.
thanks for the info. I'll drive it more around the back yard a try to run over more stuff.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #19

It's probably lifting the wheel due to hydraulic lock. When you fill your shock with oil, then compress it, the rod begins to move into the housing. Since fluid won't compress (much) the rod reaches a point where it can't move any farther into the housing.

I like to leave about a quarter inch of air in the top of my shocks, since air will compress. This gives me the full travel of the shock, and also in my experience helps to prevent leaks and shock caps popping off.

Hope this makes sense.
ballman6711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:02 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I would say start with 50 its a good in-between weight. I run 60 in mine but its all personal pref
scrapen is offline   Reply With Quote