Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: new

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default new

i want to get into the crawler stuff and i want to star with a scorpion and i am wondering what motor, steering, esc? speed servo, battery's, charger, remote, just everything i will need to start up, i have a budget of like 500-600? im up to buying used lol but no ebay. thanks
grizzlypaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 01:25 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Depends on what your plans are for the future. If you are going to compete with it try investing in some top notch electronics from the beginning to save you the hassle later. If not then go for some decent cheap electronics to save money for other upgrades. In the second case you can buy cheap: integy 55T motor(anywhere), towerpro servo(jpcustoms), esc like tamiya 101bk will do it for (seen it around 20-30$ on ebay) and a cheap traxxas TX-RX combo (these are also cheap on ebay).

My advice is to invest though in a good 3 or 4 channel radio that you can use in the future. For example a dx3r will perfectly fit your budget with an ARTR and the cheap electronics I mentioned before.

Batterywise definitely go with a split axle pack or a lipo, I guess you have already read about that in here.
For a charger I use the cheapo imax flebay ones. They do get the job done perfectly on any kind of batteries for a good two years now.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

thanks well i will do some competing, what parts should i get? where is the place to get em? so you said artr kit why not the scorpion?

Last edited by grizzlypaugh; 04-25-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

get the good stuff right away.

i bought a servo back in christmass (jr ds8711) and its been flawless. my friend has since broken 6 or 8 of the cheapos and that has probabyl added up to well over the cost of the one god servo.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlypaugh View Post
thanks well i will do some competing, what parts should i get? where is the place to get em? so you said artr kit why not the scorpion?
The ARTR is the scorpion.

http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/ax10artr/
Deluxe312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

look on ckrc site, for there ARTR with all electronics all you gotta do is install them. you could get going for about $400, then the skys the limit!

i bought the kit B off of ebay from them. and have been crawling since oct of last year.

www.ckrccrawlers.com

Last edited by matt ellerbee; 04-25-2009 at 10:44 AM.
matt ellerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe312 View Post
O i thought the scorpion is green sorry, what is a diff between them? i like that servo.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

-A dig and a good set of tires is the best place to start. I love my DNA dig and Panther Cougars seldom leave me stranded.

-Get the COG as low as possible with a good chassis and shock setup. My personal favorite chassis are the SWX and the DNA slingshot. The losi 4" shocks are some of the best. I also like HPI firestorm shocks.

-Add some weight to the wheels to help with COG. Or get something like Mayhem Double Phatties or Vanquish revolvers. Add more weight to the front than the rear.

-Get a glitch free 2.4ghz radio. I prefer the Nomadio React but Spektrum is always a good choice.

-For an ESC I recommend Tekin FXR.

-Get the most powerful steering servo you can and add a BEC.

-Holmes makes a great handwound motor that will give you tons of speed and power.

From there you can add in CVDs, Lipos, MIP driveshafts, aluminum knuckles, etc, etc.

A good bet is also to look for used stuff in the classifieds. You can frequently find a complete used setup for less than half of what you'd spend to buy it all new.

Last edited by Locked Up; 05-26-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

i think i want to buy a ready to run kit something like this http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=674
Old 04-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

That looks like a very good start. Once you get it all put together it will be plenty capable. Then you just need to get some wheel time and figure out what needs tweaking and what you're comfortable with.

Eric
RustlerHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlypaugh View Post
i think i want to buy a ready to run kit something like this http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=674
just like what i bought, but mine was ARTR, not the kit. but either way you cant go wrong!!
matt ellerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

yea i like it but, now im gonna be set back cause my real car is having problems so idk what it will cost but it prob wont be cheap :(