Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need help making sure i get the right stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #1

Default Need help making sure i get the right stuff.

Hey all. I tought i'd probably get more help here than in my topic in axial's sub-forum, so here goes
Been browsing the forum for a while and i decided to get a crawler, at first i tought about getting Axial's RTR, but you guys convinced me it may not be the best option if i really get into crawling.

I exchanged a few e-mails with CKRC and realised this was a bit more complicated than i tought ..

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=297
I was considering getting this, i would just like to know if it's a good deal and what it's like performance-wise? (I'm not looking to get into competitions)
Oogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

If you plan to crawl competitively then you will want to drop some serious coin right away. Get a good 3 channel radio so you can add a dig later on. Buy a good esc like a sidewinder, rooster crawler or fxr so you can run li-po cells. I have been in the r/c hobby for 20 years and have always said, if you buy cheap you buy twice.

Now if you want a really decent truck check out the SCX10. It is a very capable crawler and has nice scale looks. The same holds true for a scale truck as well as the comp trucks.

So do alot of research, talk to others in your area to see what is working for them, and then save your pennies and buy the best that you can afford.

Just my 2 cents............

Last edited by 1rcmonster; 04-25-2009 at 02:06 PM.
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #3

I dont really plan to crawl competitively / get into competitions though ..
and since this is my first crawler / first rc in years, i'd rather go with something somewhat affordable so i can test it out before i decide to invest more money in it or not...
I just want something that performs well enough so i know what a real rc crawler should drive like :-P
Old 04-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogie View Post
I dont really plan to crawl competitively / get into competitions though ..
and since this is my first crawler / first rc in years, i'd rather go with something somewhat affordable so i can test it out before i decide to invest more money in it or not...
I just want something that performs well enough so i know what a real rc crawler should drive like :-P
losi mrc
ugly_giddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #5

I'd have liked to stick with axial .. and from what i've seen on CKRC, Going with Losi would be more expensive

The kit i linked to in my first post seems like what i would want, and it's pretty much the price i'm willing to put .. but i'd like to know what you guys think about what it comes with ?
Just making sure i'm not getting ripped :-P
Old 04-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The esc is ok not great. The servo that come with the radio that come in the kit you will break. Plastic gears I am guessing. the battery kind of sucks you have to mount it up high. and the integy motors are pretty good.

If i was you i would spend the extra money and get a b kit. its comes with a decent radio. A good servo for messing around with that wont strip. metal gears! you can get a novak rooster or a sidewinder. come with battery plates to mounts you battery plates down low and also come with a pair of split pack batteries. its a great set up.

not with this kit you lockers are going to wear out fairly quickly so if i were you i would upgrade this to the artr kit. only 20$ that come with heavy duty lockers. It also come with strait rear axles and axle adapters. it will be worth it in the end spending 100$ more so you dont have to spend 200$ and upgrade to what you should have done in the first place.
d-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

ps. i would do with sidewinder. mean you can eventualy go lipo!
d-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fly View Post
The esc is ok not great. The servo that come with the radio that come in the kit you will break. Plastic gears I am guessing. the battery kind of sucks you have to mount it up high. and the integy motors are pretty good.

If i was you i would spend the extra money and get a b kit. its comes with a decent radio. A good servo for messing around with that wont strip. metal gears! you can get a novak rooster or a sidewinder. come with battery plates to mounts you battery plates down low and also come with a pair of split pack batteries. its a great set up.

not with this kit you lockers are going to wear out fairly quickly so if i were you i would upgrade this to the artr kit. only 20$ that come with heavy duty lockers. It also come with strait rear axles and axle adapters. it will be worth it in the end spending 100$ more so you dont have to spend 200$ and upgrade to what you should have done in the first place.
Thanks for the detailed answer, thats exactly what i wanted :-P

So you recommend i go for http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=674This ?
With the http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1109 ARTR upgrade ?
(I didnt know the ARTR update actually switched the KIT for the ARTR, i tought it only changed the links from orange to green, since that's only what's mentioned in the upgrade description )