Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie trying to build Tube frame chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #1

Default Newbie trying to build Tube frame chassis

I would like to start a build on an RC rock crawler but I am pretty green to this stuff so I have some questions. I have experience with full size rock crawlers and four wheel drive vehicles and it seems pretty like they go hand in hand (to a certain extent). It seems as if the best place to start is with the chassis, and I am torn between a few. I am a fan of the copperhead (off of RC4WD website), the AX10 scorpion, and the Team Carnage Crew “Hustler” (with my sights set on the Hustler). My next question is what are a good solid set of locking axles, I would like to have rear steer and don’t really know how to do that either. I am sure that I will have a lot more questions as time goes on but I figure that this is a good place to start. If there is any other good newbie info to pass on I would really appreciate it. Thanks,
bigz
bigz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

AX driveline is the most popular, suspension works the same as 1:1's pretty much

4 wheel steer can be done 2 ways linked or independent control

linked can be done with a y-cord and independent requires more radio channels

Take a look around, there is tons of info here, kinda like a "crawlpedia"
the search will answer more than 1 can say in 1 response!
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If you are starting with nothing, and want to go the tube chassis route I would start with the AX 10 KIT, not RTR, not ARTR, the kit. It is the only truck in the AX 10 family that comes with 2 steering axles. AX 10 axles are good! That will give you some wheels and tires, 2 steering axles, transmission, links, joints (rod ends in the 1:1 world, ball links in the RC world), shocks, and lots of odds and ends. It's a very well supported platform, and good quality stuff. I would check the classifieds here to pick up the electronics for it. Then either build or buy the tuber you want.
durango#95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
Who's your Daddy-0!

X2 on the Axial axles You can find them on here for around $80 used. If the rear has lockouts you can get steering arms for them for next to nothing, I'm sure someone on here would give you a set they don't need anymore. If you are wanting to build a super go with Clod axles
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:18 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
X2 on the Axial axles You can find them on here for around $80 used. If the rear has lockouts you can get steering arms for them for next to nothing, I'm sure someone on here would give you a set they don't need anymore. If you are wanting to build a super go with Clod axles
Yes clod!not X...
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote