Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: over heat motor and esc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 07:07 AM   #1

Default over heat motor and esc

what is the problem with my kit, its a convertion of TA02 to semi rock crawler,
it over heat and smell like something is burning,
here is my simple crawler using TA02 chasis. and tires from tamiya kingblackfoot,silver can motor, 17/74t pinions and spur, tamiya TEU esc, 2cell lipo batt .

can some one shed some info on what i am missing and what is the problem of this kit. thanks a lot
mikelouie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Before we can help we need to know the following

What motor? What ESC? Do you have a BEC? What Servo.
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcolor View Post
Before we can help we need to know the following

What motor? What ESC? Do you have a BEC? What Servo.

my ESC is TEU from tamiya, dont have a bec, the servo was only a s3003, and the motor is johnson silver can, dont know the turns of this motor, its a stock from my kit, my kit is a onroad car that i have modified to crawler.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

O.k. let me make sure I have this right. You are basically running all stock parts for an on road car/truck, and then converted your your TA02 to a rock crawler and threw those stock electronics on.
Well theres your problem. First the motor isn't designed to have the torque you need to crawl with. Which forces the ESC to over heat. And then when you are trying to turn on anything but flat smooth ground your servo is asking for alot of power, and the ESC already being hot is having to work alot harder to provide the voltage that the Servo is asking for, just further adding fuel to the fire.
See, Crawlers are alot diffrent than anything else on the market. They put alot of strain on the motor, cause we ask them to have so much torque and have to put alot of voltage to them to get that torque, and then we want them to climb up steep rocks, and then we put alot of strain on servos because we ask them to turn some very stick tires without the truck moving much at all, and we hold pressure on the steering while not moving at all, which causes them to heat up and melt. There really arent any crawler specific Servos that I know of. Anyway, all this strain from the motor and servo makes the ESC work even harder, thus it overheats.

Here is what you need to do. Get a new crawler specific motor for Holmes Hobbies, or another manufacturer that makes crawler specific motors. Then you need a good quality ESC with a drag brake. Your choice here just make sure its made for crawlers, or designed to work with a crawler motor. Then you need a new very strong servo and a BEC to go with it so you new servo gets plenty of good strong power directly from the battery, and the ESC only provides signal to the servo to tell it what to do.

Hope this helps
Old 04-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

And btw, Im not trying to be rude here, cause I understand you probably only had the car laying around to use as a starter for a crawler. But thats not ideally what you want to start a crawlere with. So, when you get the money you should get a nice crawler kit and slap on you new electronics.
Basic kits (you put together) can be had for around 180 to 190.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #6

thanks sir, maybe ill get a crawler motor first and a high torque servo, and test it if the temp of the esc will change.

your right on wat you said, thats my old ta02 lying around, and after watching some video from youtube, it push me to build a crawler using some old stuf that i have.

so many thanks sir for your advice on wat is my problem and to solve it.