Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: learning about steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #1

Default learning about steering

I am building a crawler and trying to learn more about steering. My question is can you run a dig unit with rear steer, and if you can what are the pros and cons? Thanks,
Bigz
bigz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

i dont see why u couldnt......u are gonna need at least a 4 ch. radio
NCcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
Who's your Daddy-0!

First question is are you going to be running a shafty or MOA? If MOA then yes you can have rear steer and dig If you are running a shafty yes you can have dig and rear steer. It two separate functions. On a shafty you are locking that drive shaft, tht has nothing to do with your steering. On a MOA you are grounding out the motor to dig, that doesn't have anything to do with steering.

If you are going to do this, and I don't know why you would? You are going to need at least a 4ch TX and at least 2 BEC's.

If you have rear steer there is really no need for dig, if you have dig there is really no need for rear steer. You will be adding more weight, need more power, spend more $, and it will only be legal in the Super class....

I'm assuming that you are asking about this for a 2.2. In the Super class some people do have dig and 4 wheel steering because they are running 2 ESC's, 2 servos, ect....and it's MOA. I've never seen anyone run dig and 4WS on a shafty....I'm sure someone has though...

Last edited by TattooKenny; 05-03-2009 at 09:59 PM.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigz57 View Post
I am building a crawler and trying to learn more about steering. My question is can you run a dig unit with rear steer, and if you can what are the pros and cons? Thanks,
Bigz

First and only real con I can think of is...It will not be legal to compete with in the 2.2 class with rear steer unless you lock it out..Oh yeah and there is the concern of needing a 4ch radio,most of the ones that are worth while are high dollar pieces.
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:40 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Anybody know anything about running a reversing Y-harness and just have constant rear steer?

Would it rob power from the servos?
Diablo169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It will really depend on the ESC, you might need a BEC to power the extra load on the electrical system. As far as constant reversed steering goes (front wheels turn one way and the back turn the opposite), it is really pointless if you have a dig, in fact, if you get up against a rock you'll likely have to use the dig to get away from it. Recommend starting out with the dig, then seeing if you want rear steer.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #7

Dig allows for tighter turning than 4WS in some cases: ideally you're actually pivoting the vehicle around the locked axle. However, there are situations where using dig is not a good idea, like a steep ascent where locking your axle would prevent you from making any headway. In that case 4WS will still improve your maneuverability. Sometimes in tight spaces 4WS can be a liability, as it makes the back of your rig go in the opposite direction as the front. 4WS can also add some extra tricks such as crab steer (which can negate the prev problem). 4WS is not legal in most 2.2 comp classes as far as I know. If your electronics can handle it (4+ch radio, powerful BEC) then I say go for it. You'll have a seriously complicated rig but it will always have another trick up its sleeve.

Last edited by tetracanth; 06-24-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling
tetracanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

there is no point in having both???
peyton. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Very good points.

I think I'll start with the dig and go from there.

I bought a Reversing Y harness (EXRA325) and it looks like it has a capacitor BEC wired in. I might put rear steer on it just to mess around, and just lock it out if it turns out to be useless.
Diablo169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

My rig has rear steer, because I love it! and I don't run any comps yet. I run a old 7 channel stick futaba and I set the left and right sticks to move the front and rear seperate, I love the ability to put the back tires wherever I want them and it gives me the ability to move them back and forth to catch a bite on a rock. I do however think that there is a call for both and wish the rules allowed it in 2.2. If it is not needed or helpfull then why not allow it?:-P They seem to function completly differnt roles. The dig allows tight turns and hill climbs while the rear steer is about rear end positioning and bite, and crab steer sure does work well in some spots. I wouldn't do 4 wheel steering whitout the ability to control it precisly. I know everone likes there wheels though:-P Just my 5 cents on the subject.
Rocks R. Good is offline   Reply With Quote