Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: antenna touch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default antenna touch

just a stupit question i know but i would like to know that when i switch over to a 2.4ghz controler, is there going to be a antenna wire comming out of the reciver, and if there is, is it still important not to have the wire touching its self for interfearance. or will it hurt it if i cut the wire down a little.thanks.... i told you guys it was a stupid question
mini max is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Yes, but its very small, I think about 18 gauge size.
shouldn't be a problem at all with interferance.
As for cutting down the wire, I dont think you'll have to do that, there only about 2.5 to 3" long
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, it's even shorter than... too easy. But they're short and you can tuck 'em in just about anywhere.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
Yeah, it's even shorter than... too easy. But they're short and you can tuck 'em in just about anywhere.
I put mine inside a short section of antenna tube...... My receiver is mounted on the front axle and the antenna itself is zip tied to the left front upper link.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
RCC Addict

in my crawlers i actually just shove the antenna into rx caseing
if i have a lil extra time on my hand it open 'er up coil it around the bottom of the rx's circuit board inside the caseing.
havent had any problems yet. no interference no shorts, and imo not a major difference in range
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
Who's your Daddy-0!

Don't cut the antenna on a Spektrum RX! Not all of them are short either. The antenna on my SR3100 is 7-8" long! I just coil it up and zip tie it up. I haven't had any trouble.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
Don't cut the antenna on a Spektrum RX! Not all of them are short either. The antenna on my SR3100 is 7-8" long! I just coil it up and zip tie it up. I haven't had any trouble.
What he said times 2!

Spektrum rx's use "tuned" antenna so cutting is very very bad thing. I coiled mine up inside the receiver box and it works like a charm
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

In my scale rigs I coil up the antenna and put in the the box with the RX. On my comp rigs I use a short piece of antenna tube zip tied to the chassis. The wire is smaller gauge than AM or FM and much shorter (on my SR3000 and SR 3001's) so no need to cut them.

2.4GHz is much much more forgiving about antennae placement than AM or FM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Do not cut the 2.4 antenna wire....the radio brand does not matter.

Harry
Old Sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

The wire on my new Futaba 6exa is about a mile and a half long. I may have to try the coiling up in the RX box trick. I like that idea a lot. Things that stick up on vehicles that flip over is a bad idea...as well as slicing the wire on your receiver...I accidentally pulled that stunt on my nitro many moons ago...Which has inspired me to carry an extra receiver lol.
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

i made up a plastic plate to mount my 3100 rx on and to hold the wire....if i ever need to remove the rx it comes out all in one unit attached to the mounting plate....plus it looks cool like a little wipe antenna ;) .............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I put my aentenna inside a length of fuel tubing and zip tied it to the chassis.

With 2.4ghz you can put it anywhere you want from what I understand.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quoting directly from the Spektrum 3000 manual at http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM1200 :

"NOTE: If desired, the antenna may be shortened (cut) to exactly 3.6" with negligible loss of range and in some applications the short 3.6" length will make installation easier."

Copied direct from the SR3100 support page at http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMSR3100 :

SR3100 DSM2 3CH Receiver:Surface

Bulletins

Spektrum SR3100 Antenna Bulletin

Spektrum SR3100 Antenna Bulletin
Spektrum’s SR3100 receiver (included with the DX3R) features a coaxial antenna. Do not cut the antenna. The exposed area at the tip of the coax is the functional part of the antenna and must remain at 31mm in length. Altering the 31mm length will detune the receiver reducing range. Avoid sharp bends, pinching, smashing or cutting the coax (covered gray section) portion of the antenna. The coax is susceptible to damage and if severed, or if the insulation is damaged, reduced receiver performance can result. If you should damage the coaxial antenna replacement is necessary and easy. New coaxial antennas are available SPM9005 and snap onto the receiver board.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote