Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Tx for crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Tx for crawling

I've been racing 1/10th off road and 1/12th carpet for a few years, using a KO Mars steering wheel radio. Just got my first crawler - Venom.

I've got the diffs locked for maximum traction, but I'm surprised about how bad the turning circle is. I figured I'd look at getting a remote diff lock kit for the front (I assume that that if I fit just one kit, it should go on the front?).

Although my Tx is 3 channel, the third channel isn't adjustable - no EPA / throw adjustment, and the button has to be held down to operate the servo - doesn't latch in place. The lack of adjustments might make setting up the diff lock a bit tricky.

For the future, 3ch might be a bit limiting, since there are so many options - 4-wheel steering, 2 diff locks, DIG.
Since I also fly RC planes, using a Futaba 7C, I thought about using this for the crawler. Strictly speaking, here in the UK it's illegal to use an air Tx (35Mz band) for a surface vehicle. I'd need to get a 2.4GHz radio, as the surface band radios (27MHz and 40 MHz) are all 2 or 3 channel.

Does anybody here use an aircraft Tx?
If so, what do you use, and how have you assigned the channels - what function to what stick/switch?
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
Who's your Daddy-0!

DX6i is what your looking for I use a DX3R for 90% of my crawlers, but I do use my DX6i for the rest. There is quite a few threads on how to set up the DX6i for anything you could need to know for crawling. Info on setting it up for 2.2 and Super rigs. The DX6i will do everything you need for crawling and still fly your heli's and airplanes It has a 10 model memory, the RX's are cheaper and give you more open channels, and it's not expensive at all!!!!

If you are going pistol style grab a DX3R! Hand's down the best 3ch pistol TX out there IMO

Look in this "Sticky" for all your answers on the DX6i....Definitive Radio, Power Wiring, BEC and Servo Threads-- RCC's Top Tech Threads!

Last edited by TattooKenny; 05-31-2009 at 01:38 AM.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:55 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks for that.

Are there any UK suppliers that sell the DX6i with the throttle modified for spring operation?
Since I'm buying new, I might as well get one that's already modified.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Not sure about selling to the UK. But spektrum will mod the Radio at the factory before they ship it if you let them know.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yes lots of folks use "air" radios (like the DX6i) for their crawlers. Just don't use it where people may be flying. There are lots of threads on setting them up on here. No reason to not use your futaba. Ya really only need one stick for basic control (right/left forward/back), but the ratchet throttle may be a problem down the road.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:15 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

One of the best crawling sites is also popular with slope soarers and combat fliers, so I won't use my Futaba. I might give it a try in my back yard, just to see how I get on with a stick radio for crawling, then decide whether to get a DX6 or 7.

Just had a thought - rather than modify a mode 2 Tx, I could get a mode 1. This would have a sprung stick on the left for throttle as standard.

The right stick could be centred for normal front-only steering, then pushed one way for normal 4 wheel steering, the other way for crabbing. Would the mixing on the DX6i be capable of doing this?
Basically, I'd have the "throttle" axis centred and move the stick left and right to steer. Push the stick forward and left/right to engage 4ws, pull it back and left/right for crabbing.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:28 AM   #7
Who's your Daddy-0!

You can set the DX6i up for any combo that you could want for crawling And remember to have them put the throttle return mod in for you. If you get it without it and call them later and ask them to send you the mod they won't do it, you have to send it in.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Also the old school DX6, you can mod yourself. I had one and did the self centering mod my self. All you need is some 1/8" thick plastic or lexan. takes like 1hr. total.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

My Futaba 3pm will do

1) front wheel only steering
2) rear wheel only steering
3) four wheel steering
4) four wheel crab steering

Setting up Futaba 3PM for 4ws

all this from a 3 channel pistol grip.

Harry
Old Sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
Yes lots of folks use "air" radios (like the DX6i) for their crawlers. Just don't use it where people may be flying.
Unless it is a 2.4 Ghz air radio...then you are good to go.

The problem occurs if you try to use a 72 Mhz air radio for a surface application, in proximity to a model flying field.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I'm going to need 4ch so that I can use a front diff lock on my Venom.

I've been looking at the Futaba 4PK, but the prices here are ridiculous - best price is 380GBP, which is nearly 600USD! I can get a DX6i for one third of that price.
I could import a Futaba direct from Hong Kong or USA, but I'd have to pay over 20% customs charges and might have warranty problems, and would need a new charger (240VAC here).

Think I'll go for a DX6i mode 1. I'll fit a restrictor plate to the left stick, limiting movement to the vertical axis for the throttle. Might do the same for the right stick, limiting it to the horizontal axis.
Anyone tried fitting restrictor plates to stick radios?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I use the DX6i with my creeper. Left stick (rudder) is used for steering, right stick elevator is used for throttle(self centering), gear switch is used for the shaft dig and flap switch is used for rear remote diff.

After using a shaft dig for a month and in a couple comps now, found the front remote diff is not needed and the rear one is hardly used anymore.

I am also in the proccess of setting this up radio and using the "mix 1" funtion to operate the 3 position dig on my losi crawler.
Dark8ngel is offline   Reply With Quote