Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: radio with 3 position 3rd channel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 03:30 PM   #1

Default radio with 3 position 3rd channel?

well, I was going to try to do a 2 brushless setup on my moa truck, but it's looking like it's gonna cost me a small fortune, so I've decided to go another route. I want to run the punk dig switch, and will be wanting to get a 3 channel radio with a 3 pos third channel switch. I have browsed tons of them, but none of the descriptions mention wether it is a 2 or 3 pos switch for the 3rd channel. does anyone have a recommendation on which radio would be set up that way?
rjmurphy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

If you don't mind AM, a TQ3 can be setup with a 3 pos 3rd ch switch. They are relatively inexpensive to buy already modded that way, and are easy to mod to a 3 pos switch. Good luck not spending a small fortune...
ohmyCLOD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
RCC Addict

High end radios that do what you need are DX3R, M11, 4PK for sure. If I remember correct 3PM and react also have a 3 position switch. Another cheap option is to get a radio set from a readyset Kyosho MFR. This one has a 3 position switch and can be found cheap in ebay, no EPA though on channel 3.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #4

I already have 3 of the TQ3 radios from my nitro trucks...what would I need to do to mod it? I'm no electrical genious, but follow directions pretty well.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForce View Post
High end radios that do what you need are DX3R, M11, 4PK for sure. If I remember correct 3PM and react also have a 3 position switch. Another cheap option is to get a radio set from a readyset Kyosho MFR. This one has a 3 position switch and can be found cheap in ebay, no EPA though on channel 3.

3PM is a great radio, but only a two-position sw. You can set it up to have the servo move in three steps, but I think brain sugery would be easier. From everthing I have read, the best bang for the buck is the DX3R or the 4PK for 3-position third channel radios.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmurphy24 View Post
I already have 3 of the TQ3 radios from my nitro trucks...what would I need to do to mod it? I'm no electrical genious, but follow directions pretty well.
I think there is a thread in electronics about modding tq3 for 3pos 3rd ch and adding EPA pots... maybe...
Old 05-31-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Search these terms: How To: Convert a Traxxas TQ3 for 4ws. Good luck
Old 05-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of popular options
Spektrum DX3R (Very light, comfortable)
Spektrum DX3 (discontinued model, requires modification. DX3.0 won't work)
Futaba 3PM (Can work, the 3rd channel is awkward though)
Futaba 3PJ (Discontinued model. Very nice though)
Futaba 3PK
Futaba 4PK (both the 3pk and 4pk share the same features, the 4pk just has 4 channels)
JR R-1 (discontinued model. Also very nice)
KO Propo EX-1 UR (relatively inexpensive 4 channel 2.4 ghz, no mixing but nice anyways)
Traxxas TQ3 (few features, requires modification)
Nomadio Sensor (very nice radio, 4 channels. Name it, it'll do it)
Nomadio React (same story as the sensor, different case and menus)

There may be others, this is just what I can think of off the top of my head. If you're on a tight budget you should look seriously into the 3PJ and R-1, they're both very nice, will have more features than you'll be able to use and can be had for very cheap.
Edit: I just looked on E-Bay, an R-1 sold new in box for 88 bucks a few weeks ago. Spend another 100 bucks or so on a spektrum module as funds allow and you'll be sitting on a really nice radio for a very decent price.

If you're in the market for a new radio I would personally advise either the 3PK or 4PK. The DX3R is very nice, but the PK's have far more features which will be useful if you ever want to use rear steer, or if you want to race. For instance, the DX3R has no mixing on the 3rd channel, whereas the PK's have many mixing features. Either PK radio will work with dual ESC's, so if you decide to do that down the line you can, the DX3R won't. I really like the 4th channel of the 4pk, it opens up options like winch down servos, rear steer and dig at the same time, scaler goodies etc. Don't get me wrong, the DX3R is a very nice radio, it's popular for a reason. I just think having the extra features is good. If you're gonna plunk down the money, do it right the first time I figure.

The nomadio radios are every bit as cool as the PK radios, but they have a bad reputation in terms of reliability. There are a few local guys who use them and have had no problems, but there are a few local guys who have had problems. It seems to be a crap shoot, and they're pretty scarce anyways. I've heard of very few issues with futaba.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 05-31-2009 at 07:49 PM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
Official Cook of the ECC

The Futaba 3PDF will do everything. Discontinued but can be found cheap. Up to 4 pos 3rd channel, 3 model memory, EPA on all channels, 75mhz FM, etc etc.

I have owned a couple of them. Can be found for around 50 bucks or so on the bay from time to time.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Here is an in depth, step by step, of how to convert a TQ3 radio, hope it helps.
http://www.rccaraction.com/Media/Med...wtoconvert.pdf

Even though the title says for rear stearing,it will work for other apps that need a three position.

Last edited by caymin last; 05-31-2009 at 08:15 PM.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #11

thank you all so much for the info! It will really help me out in the decision making process! Just signed up on this site the other day, and have to say, it's a great wealth of knowledge and everybody seems so helpful! I'll post pics as the build progresses...waitin' on parts as usual! Thanks again!
Old 05-31-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
The Futaba 3PDF will do everything. Discontinued but can be found cheap. Up to 4 pos 3rd channel, 3 model memory, EPA on all channels, 75mhz FM, etc etc.

I have owned a couple of them. Can be found for around 50 bucks or so on the bay from time to time.
Really? I'll have to dig mine out and use it! ANy suggestions on set up?
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:34 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: radio with 3 position 3rd channel?

I really like the futaba 4pk, for dual ESC's which I'd like to run, just not sure I can afford one. Seems easy to control dig, etc. Iv been worried about having the extra controls but I'd really like to just get a controller that I can mix both esc's, and do front n rear dig.
What sort of money can I get a controller to do this that's abit cheaper. I'd like to spend maybe $300US. $500 for the 4pk is abit much unless I can find a 2nd hand one I guess.
I just don't wanna buy a radio with jus dig switch n single ESC n find I need to upgrade to dual esc's n have to buy another controller. I'm not gonna be competing at all so don't know which way to go.
Any advice??
Thanks
snydas1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:52 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by snydas1987 View Post
I really like the futaba 4pk, for dual ESC's which I'd like to run, just not sure I can afford one. Seems easy to control dig, etc. Iv been worried about having the extra controls but I'd really like to just get a controller that I can mix both esc's, and do front n rear dig.
What sort of money can I get a controller to do this that's abit cheaper. I'd like to spend maybe $300US. $500 for the 4pk is abit much unless I can find a 2nd hand one I guess.
I just don't wanna buy a radio with jus dig switch n single ESC n find I need to upgrade to dual esc's n have to buy another controller. I'm not gonna be competing at all so don't know which way to go.
Any advice??
Thanks
WOW!!! Excellent use of the search button!!!!

Recommend looking into the Spektrum DX5C, they go for about $140, with a 6-ch receiver. A step up from there is the DX5R, has a nicer display and a few extra goodies, $250.

There are radios out there, FlySky seems to be a popular budget radio, very inexpensive. Some people have wonderful luck with them, some people have nothing but problems. I have see too many break and would rather spend a little extra for something more reliable.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

check out the tatic ttx300 the 3rd channel can b set for on off 3 pos or linear movent
tdevilman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

If you don't have your dig controller yet, can I suggest that you look at mine?
I make one that gives you front and rear dig using a two-position channel if that is all you have. I also make one that uses a three-position channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH51...ature=youtu.be
or
MOA Dig Controller
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote