Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #621
Holmes Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgerrish View Post
Pick up a SCX10 Honcho or Dingo, a couple batteries and a nice charger that is Lipo compatible. You'll love it!
Yep,X2. It will have eveything you need and getting a good lipo charger and batteries you'll use forever.RPP, Cheap Batteries and Holmes Hobbies are good places to start.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #622
Quarry Creeper

Default Need to be adopted.

Hello I'm not new to the RC world but am a def. newbie when it comes to crawling.
What i'm looking for is what would be a good spot to start. I'm looking for comp setup on a bit of a budget. I have a FlySky FS-GT3B radio i know its some name most havent heard of but for the price it is bad @$$ i mean awesome for only $60. Anyways that would be the RX/TX i will be working with. I have no other spare electronics.
I am ok with starting slowly and upgrading the to comp level but would like a good base to start with. I was looking at a losi comp crawler roller but dont know what kind of electronics or whether to just get a different radio for the car i am open to any ideas and even willing to buy used rigs to modify to my own.
I do want a rig that has either four wheel steering or locking front and rear drive but dont know if my radio will do the locking drives.
And i dont know whether or not i want moa or not.
I have been trying to read up on the pros and cons so i am open to any personal thoughts.
Thanks
foratm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #623
Holmes Hobbies

Hey Marine.
If your gonna comp, Go moa. A losi has worm drive axles and they can be mod. to a moa but it suffers in wheel speed and they are hard on ESC's.
I would start with an XR10. Buy a star so you can get into the for sale threads. Best 25.00 you'll spend. You can find one with upgrades and maybe motors. The radio and rec. will work for it if it has 3rd channel mixing, if not the you can alway get a want-a-summit to control front and rear independently.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #624
Rock Crawler

oh wow, cool thread. so who wants to take me under there wing? im super new to the rc world but been wheelin for over 15 years and am a fast learner.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #625
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by foratm View Post
Hello I'm not new to the RC world but am a def. newbie when it comes to crawling.
What i'm looking for is what would be a good spot to start. I'm looking for comp setup on a bit of a budget. I have a FlySky FS-GT3B radio i know its some name most havent heard of but for the price it is bad @$$ i mean awesome for only $60. Anyways that would be the RX/TX i will be working with. I have no other spare electronics.
I am ok with starting slowly and upgrading the to comp level but would like a good base to start with. I was looking at a losi comp crawler roller but dont know what kind of electronics or whether to just get a different radio for the car i am open to any ideas and even willing to buy used rigs to modify to my own.
I do want a rig that has either four wheel steering or locking front and rear drive but dont know if my radio will do the locking drives.
And i dont know whether or not i want moa or not.
I have been trying to read up on the pros and cons so i am open to any personal thoughts.
Thanks
as CD13 sated if you want to comp go with a moa like the axial XR10 if you buy new there are just a few items that need upgrading to make it much more reliable. with your radio the fs gt3b (i have one) in stock form it cant do much but you are in luck because a member on here (losikid) sells a kit to hack it and reprogram it so it has many more functions like being able to run 2 speed controllers together and giving you front and rear dig
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #626
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
as CD13 sated if you want to comp go with a moa like the axial XR10 if you buy new there are just a few items that need upgrading to make it much more reliable. with your radio the fs gt3b (i have one) in stock form it cant do much but you are in luck because a member on here (losikid) sells a kit to hack it and reprogram it so it has many more functions like being able to run 2 speed controllers together and giving you front and rear dig
ok thanks. I'll be looking at the options with all of the different rigs i will most likely want to figure out the radio especially if your buddy can hack it. I just recieved it a couple days ago and havent even tried it out yet. So i might need to get a little help on it when i get a truck.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #627
Quarry Creeper

Thank you CD13 Hoo-Rah devil. for the advice it will be well considered and i will get the star since i am shopping around right now. I was really conflicted on whether or not to get an moa.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #628
Holmes Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
oh wow, cool thread. so who wants to take me under there wing? im super new to the rc world but been wheelin for over 15 years and am a fast learner.

All of us are willing to help, Just be sure to do some searching before you ask a silly question, see stickies.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #629
Quarry Creeper

Just so you know you guys rock and thanks for all the help just one more thing though. Servos.... I want to upgrade the one in my xr10 its just a plain one need something stronger any ideas?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #630
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by foratm View Post
Just so you know you guys rock and thanks for all the help just one more thing though. Servos.... I want to upgrade the one in my xr10 its just a plain one need something stronger any ideas?
Get the best one you can afford. You want metal gears and the most torque possible. Hitec makes some nice ones, and Savox usually has good bang for the buck. Depends on what you want to spend! You might want to get a Castle BEC too.
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #631

Default Newbe here

Thinking about building my first rock crawler in your professional opinion what is a great kit for being able to grow and eventually getting into comp's, I have seen several kits on line and was thinking about the XR10 from Axial?
Rockhound105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #632
Holmes Hobbies

Right now, for a comp rig thats gonna be your best bet.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #633

Oh hi. Newb here mostly looking to get into the scale end of things. Leaning towards scx-10 or wraith. This site has some fantastic information and many sweet photos. And build threads
Atasnailspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #634

I just picked up a losi mini short course truck and so far the most fun has been crawling over small stuff. so now I have to get myself a real crawler.

I am looking at going with the axial ax10 rtc. Qustion is axial going to have a new model coming out any time soon?

I have been looking at this site all week and am off work today so I am going to dig deep on here today.
benny27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #635

lookin at buying a scx10 dingo, just wondering what kind of battery and charger to buy with it
Bronco2x84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #636

Hi there, not new to RC, done a couple of big scale Savage electric builds but am presently occupying myself with a wheely king/Gmade hybrid FOFF build. In time (probably after Christmas) I plan on building my own tube chassis for it if I can get the brazing down ok.

Essentially got some Wheely King axles converted to 4 link and a center tranny and am going to mount it all to a Gmade R1 chassis with a slammed setup and paddles. Should look pretty good I hope. If anyone is interested in knowing more about it or would like to lend a hand I'm open ears.
lilredmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #637

Post Getting into crawling

Hi, hopefully this christmas ill be receiving some crawling gear.
im new to crawling, but i've been into rc racing for about two years so i know
the general stuff about servo, lipo, controller, shocks, so on and so forth. But when it comes to crawling i dont know where to start. ive been looking around and have been back and forth between the scx10 dingo TR, and the losi comp crawler. I liked the dingo since it came rtr (considering i would use already owned lipo, tx, rx..) but i didnt like that it wouldnt be as capable as the losi would when it came to rocky terrain. Im leaning towards the losi also because it has a DIG unit pre installed. heres what im looking at for the losi (please give in put on the electronics i chose) ** I already have a tekin rs pro and a 17.5 brushless motor. One last thing, what motor would work best; tekin, novak ballistic, or trinity

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Spencr G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #638
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

I NEED HELP! I've got an AX10 that I've had for a few years. My buddy/guru that helped me build it has had 2 kids since then and is completely unavailable.. My biggest hobby is collecting hobbies so I go through phases of running/working on my rig. It's running a Novak Rooster and 55, steel cvd's, hitec 645 servo, proline wheels w/ weights, losi claws w/ PL memory foams, lighter springs up front. I have a set of Rover white dots to put on it and I'm thinking of using CI dual stage foams.

I'd like to:
install a rear dig
mod or replace axles,knuckles,bearings
find super low profile body
install new suspension

Here's a couple pics:

The body posts are obviously ridiculous and a big reason why I'm wanting to go with a buggy body again. The toe-in on the rear is not how it looks in the pic, taken w/ wide angle lens.

Anything else you see or can think of (other than the obvious, that i need to start over with a MOA platform..) would help, you can see it run in my video "best crawler vid!?" in the video section.

Thanks!

Last edited by luvmycompax10; 01-12-2012 at 05:33 PM.
luvmycompax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #639
Holmes Hobbies

For a new guy just starting its a good idea to look at sportsman rigs in the ax10 section. No dig so you won't have to find a dig that works or mpi shaft. Work on lowering your COG and beefing up your axles and tranny. Most important thing, besides getting it to turn sharp. Look at the builds and if theres something you need answers to, PM me.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #640

Ok I have been intrested in RC crawlers for a bit over a year and keep tossing the idea around of buying one. k I am going to now but I have been lurking for a long time and have been reading about shafty's and moa. I have read a bunch this week and keep changing my mind . I want to just mess around at parks and when I go camping or am out of town for work. I read about the plus's of a moa rig but then read that shaftys can hold there own and are great rigs to start with. I hear moa's have clod stall problems and shaftys have torque twist that has to be worked out .
What would be a better choice for a first timer RC crawler shafty or moa ?
ERV JR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, berg, help noob, whats a dig?, whats clod stall?