Notices

Thread: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #641
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERV JR View Post
Ok I have been intrested in RC crawlers for a bit over a year and keep tossing the idea around of buying one. k I am going to now but I have been lurking for a long time and have been reading about shafty's and moa. I have read a bunch this week and keep changing my mind . I want to just mess around at parks and when I go camping or am out of town for work. I read about the plus's of a moa rig but then read that shaftys can hold there own and are great rigs to start with. I hear moa's have clod stall problems and shaftys have torque twist that has to be worked out .
What would be a better choice for a first timer RC crawler shafty or moa ?
Personally id say shafty torque twist isant as bad as its made out to be and theres easy ways to avoid it. depending on what your doing with it, as in if you don't plan on using it to compete shaft driven is fine . Also it seem to get a good MOA (no clod stall ect) its going to cost more then a decant shaft drive (ax10,scx10 can be had for 100-250 depending on hop ups ect)

only MOA ive seen or run were some clod axle crawlers and cheap red cat ones wasn't impressed tho i under stand they were cheap ones but moa for me seems like comp only,as for shafty i've run ax10s,scx10s,rock force,wraith,custom tube crawlers,wreckluse chassis, ect and im not settled on the scx10 with summit trans.

My final summary go ax10 or scx10 (try to stay away from worm gears)and i cant see you being disappointed only ''required'' upgrade would be tires as the ax10 rock lizards suck...scx10 flat irons are decant tho.
xiteamxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #642
Holmes Hobbies

Yes, I would agree, SCX10 Scale or AX10 for real rock crawling. Sounds like you want to play so it depends if you want to play climbing rocks or wanting to crawl rocks a little and having something to run thru the trails. If competing isn't in your interest, I would get a scale truck that you can climb and run on camping trails, Rock, limbs and hills. Moa rigs are going to cost ya, dual esc's, radio to control them, beefed up parts, motors, the list goes on. Starting, I would do an SCX10 and go play, If you get interested in competing then you can still use what ya got.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #643
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD13 View Post
Yes, I would agree, SCX10 Scale or AX10 for real rock crawling. Sounds like you want to play so it depends if you want to play climbing rocks or wanting to crawl rocks a little and having something to run thru the trails. If competing isn't in your interest, I would get a scale truck that you can climb and run on camping trails, Rock, limbs and hills. Moa rigs are going to cost ya, dual esc's, radio to control them, beefed up parts, motors, the list goes on. Starting, I would do an SCX10 and go play, If you get interested in competing then you can still use what ya got.
You dont have to have dual escs and a good radio can be had for $100 thats runs dual escs. They may be a little more expensive but not much.
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #644
Holmes Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler23 View Post
You dont have to have dual escs and a good radio can be had for $100 thats runs dual escs. They may be a little more expensive but not much.

So I guess you referring to using a punk dig? Have you tried to find one lately? Even a want a summit or a stick radio needs dual esc's. I guess you could do the switch control but If you don't have control of the ESC's you might as well run a shafty. 4 Channel radio, 100.00.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #645

Howdy beautiful Crawler people,

Complete N00b regarding crawling... Was an nitro offroad RC enthusiast, racing and Bashing. But, living in Canada and having two young kids just made the hobby impossible to be lived
I am currently selling All my gears and kits and I am planning to put some of this money into... a Crawler. I have tried one with a guy I met at the track, and I feel this is the kind of RC approach that could both fit with my need for tinkering with RC, running it without driving 2:30 hours to reach the track and being able to just take it and have fun.

So... Yes, I am looking for a mentor... What kind of mentor will you ask? And if you do ask, you're the kind of Mentor I am looking for!
Ok more seriously...

I am looking for someone that will help me choose/build my first kit and provide advices/contacts to learn the trade of crawling like a man

I am not looking for a scaler at all, functions goes way before form.
I am not looking for an RTR.
I would love to start with a mini (losi comp seems OK) as I could own my skills and overall understanding of the crawling close from home, then moving to something of a larger scale.
I have been in RC for a while so not a complete noob, and still the "racer" mind so performances can have an impact on budget.
Or someone that could point me to a great second hand/built RC, and start from there.

Thanks in advance Senseď!

Little Scarab aka Orph3o
Oprh3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #646

I am somewhat new to this... i haven't competed or even thought of it.... I have 3 crawlers rs10, ax10, and a wraith (that I'm not sure about yet)... I want to upgrade all of them to have front and rear dig.... so question is what is the best way to go... i need product names and everything i guess... also thinking about going brushless on the wraith... this is something to do when im bored with my other rc cars/trucks... i have decent place to crawl and find it relaxing... i appreciate any info...
thanks
noob
triplecrawler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #647
Pebble Pounder

Im open for adoption lol. wouldnt mind some information for scaler rigs
gcarrell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #648
Quarry Creeper

what you wanna find out about scalers?
NorCalScaleCrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #649
Nope..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD13 View Post
So I guess you referring to using a punk dig? Have you tried to find one lately? Even a want a summit or a stick radio needs dual esc's. I guess you could do the switch control but If you don't have control of the ESC's you might as well run a shafty. 4 Channel radio, 100.00.
Unless you want to go to a stick radio and find someone in a pinch to get rid of a DX6 or similar I'd like to know where you can do this also. I could use a $100 4pl or pk..
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #650
Pebble Pounder

well on the scalers, i think i have narrowed it down to 4 kits. here are the order and any opinions very helpful.

1) RC4WD trail stompper
2)Tamiya High Lift
3)Axial scx10
4)Komodo.

i think i like the scale looks of #1 and #2 the best but how is performance on all these? #1 and #4 are the cheapest which is good cause im on a budget plus they both are rtr. has anyone driven/owned/seen a komodo running? they look great but i would change the body lol. like i said any help is wanted! oh and im not looking for upgrades at this moment just what would be my best bet out of the gate. thanks!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #651

I want a cheap crawler to beat the poo out of. I don't want to do anything but bash it. Will the Max Stone 1/10 scale be ok for this as I can buy two for 250 or will I be better off buying a venom crawler for about the same price? Only interested in RTC.
BikeJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #652
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarrell2 View Post
well on the scalers, i think i have narrowed it down to 4 kits. here are the order and any opinions very helpful.

1) RC4WD trail stompper
2)Tamiya High Lift
3)Axial scx10
4)Komodo.

i think i like the scale looks of #1 and #2 the best but how is performance on all these? #1 and #4 are the cheapest which is good cause im on a budget plus they both are rtr. has anyone driven/owned/seen a komodo running? they look great but i would change the body lol. like i said any help is wanted! oh and im not looking for upgrades at this moment just what would be my best bet out of the gate. thanks!
The order of quality, performance, parts support and re-sale if you ever wanted to get out.

#1- SCX
#2- RC4WD
#3-Hi-Lift
#4-Komodo

Not familiar with the Modo, but remember you get what you pay-for.
ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #653
Pebble Pounder

thanks for the reply! i watched some videos last night and the modo is now off my list. and probably the tamiya as it is 400. we will see and i am talking with a few people trying to get a trade lined out so i might have me a rig next week sometime! YAY lol
Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #654
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
thanks for the reply! i watched some videos last night and the modo is now off my list. and probably the tamiya as it is 400. we will see and i am talking with a few people trying to get a trade lined out so i might have me a rig next week sometime! YAY lol
Good deal man. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #655
Pebble Pounder

i will dont worry ill post some pics as soon as my rig arrives
Old 03-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #656
Pebble Pounder

well i have me an scx10 on the way! i am extremely excited i cant wait to start messing around and tinkering with it. have a lot of ideas haha
Old 03-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #657
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
well i have me an scx10 on the way! i am extremely excited i cant wait to start messing around and tinkering with it. have a lot of ideas haha
Good for you!!!! Top-Shelf!!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #658

I am new to crawling and found a good starter crawler i think? hope? its a wraith that is kinda customized? anyone interested in takin a newbie in?? the rig is great and ill post some picts soon.. first issue is the motor smoked!! guy said needed a stator? any help fora new guy maybe could tell me what i have?
ojoe86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #659
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoe86 View Post
I am new to crawling and found a good starter crawler i think? hope? its a wraith that is kinda customized? anyone interested in takin a newbie in?? the rig is great and ill post some picts soon.. first issue is the motor smoked!! guy said needed a stator? any help fora new guy maybe could tell me what i have?
I got ya! Just send me a PM and we'll get the ball rolling for ya
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #660
Quarry Creeper

Hello colby! I'm a berg newb-here's a question 4 ya. Just got mine a few days ago. She's comin along tho. I have somebodys ota steering setup on it. Knucks are turned around, the whole bit. Is this considered a good setup? I've seen, & like, the 86jeep's setup tons of cats run, but really, isnt mine optimal? Dont have any of that stuff to snag up front. & she turns tite. Why dont i see more of these? Looking forward to getting the adoption papers in the mail!haha
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, berg, help noob, whats a dig?, whats clod stall?