Notices

Thread: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 01:17 AM   #721
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravebane525 View Post
I could use abit of advice. I've not played with RC cars for 15 -20 years ( when I was a kid and camping ) well we just got a new seasonal site at a campground and I feel like I NEED an RC car again. the rock crawlers caught my eye as most of the time playing will be offroad, chances are kids will be driving it (speed kills in the hand of kids, I don't remember how many times my little sister hit a tree at full speed as a kid and my dad had to have the car fixed) and the campground in named boulder woods, they literally have to grind down boulders to make areas big enough to park the trailers. we have a site on the outside of the campground and the woods out the back is nothing but logs and boulders.

I've come to find these things are expensive and before I put out that kind of money I'd like some advice from people not trying to talk me into buying something. the local hobby shop has a losi nightcrawler for 299, I'd have to buy a battery and a charger ontop of that so after taxes your talking 400-450. it looks really nice and like it would be alot of fun. they can order me in a losi mini crawler for around 240 which is much closer to my price range. as the cars they have in stock are very limited I figured I'd look for a forum to chat on. any advice? recommendations on what to look into? I'm also worried about these might be alittle to slow, I dont need anything that goes 30mph but faster then I walk/run might be nice.

EDIT: been pokin round here most of the day. looked into the mini crawler FAQ and pictures, seams you can easily fix my biggest problem with the looks of it (I'm OCD sometimes), the body sitting so high above the wheels. seen pictures of the easy mod (4 new holes) and the car looks much better. read that it would be possible to make it alittle faster with a motor swap in the future, leanin twards the losi mini crawler now, just hoppin for some advice on what else may be in that class / price range
Take a look at the Redcat Rs10 XT $155 shipped from most places on line

http://www.redcatracing.com/Rockslid...le-Crawler24_2

Comes complete with a 1800 mAh battery and a basic charger which gives you about a 20 mins runtime - crawling anyway. You will want to get more batteries and good charger but it gives you a bit of breathing room. Has rear steer which is fun and if you don't like it gives you a spare servo. Spare parts are available and there is some aftermarket support to the basic things you are likely to want to do. Its a hobby grade RC truck so you can replace one thing with another with a little bit of research. You will have to do a couple of things up front to it to make it reliable. Check out the forum on this board.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redca...%2A%2A%2A.html

I looked at Axial's and they are a great brand but they are just too expensive if you are not sure you want one and they need virtually the same sort of upgrades before they are "any good". (servos, wheels, tires etc) Nice if you want to go scale which was tempting but that way lies madness.

Redcat is a Chinese brand so doesn't get much respect but Axial's are made in Taiwan - at least the un-boxing of one I saw was - so can't lose a lot of sleep over that.

That all said the RS10 XT may be a bit slow if you are looking for a trail runner. It's walking pace but no faster. The Losi night crawler is probably a similar speed or slower and I'm sure you can easily out pace the mini crawler. That where the Axial Wraith and Vattera Twin Hammers win out but they are pricey. If you are looking for a lower price point then monster trucks are faster and ok off road and might be more what you are looking for. They just don't crawl so are less interesting to me.

Then there is always used but that takes effort, patience and luck but you can find good deals so I've heard. Personally I just wanted to get on with it so I bought the RS10 XT and its been a lot of fun.

Last edited by AutoCrawler; 04-30-2013 at 01:37 AM.
AutoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #722
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritAbrord View Post
Cool, sounds like just what i need,
1,I WANT ENROUTE V3, Me likes
2,I AM VERY OUT OF DATE, last r/c Optima Mid (very old)
3,I LIKE THE LOOK OF THE NOVAK M2 W/DIG, Looks Simples
3,WHAT LiPo FOR NON COMP MESSING AROUND, 2 or 3s What Mah & what C,
I was thinking 1300 Mah 3s 25c, is this what i should be looking at??

Please help a Newbie
Minimum 25c. I prefer 40c contin. 80c burst. But that's my pref, I do have 2 venom 1300mah 20c that work fine for slow crawling. No hard binds or power flips and mid cost. 1300mah is about as large as I'd go even for a play rig

M2dig gets the job done, but is like driving a bus, the HH Wp brxl's are more like a hummer, large but bulletproof and handle much better too.

I went xr10 myself and have no regrets. The Dlux stuff for the bergs is impressive though. I played with 1:1 comp grade crawlers and saw very quickly I wanted the same for RC

Last edited by Whiplashdjs; 05-15-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Whiplashdjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #723

i am not new to rc stuff but i had a 1 year break from it and want to get back into it.

So i got me a d90 chassis from rc model ex to get me started because i really want a land rover d90 and nothing else, but i have forgotten most of what i did know about rc things and so i basically need some pointers from people who do know.

So like i said i have a d90 chassis on its way very excited, but i am now starting to wonder what i should get now, first things apart from the body which i will get at some point.

Thanks to all who can help me with what little info you can offer.

-caps is broke-

nightlad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #724
Rock Stacker

Im as new as you get, I just bought a 1/10 scale crawler, first ever RC , just wondering if people use a spray or lube on the 4 link, or any pivot points, steering arms, I thought maybe a greasless spray, thanks for any help. I wont name the unit as its a cheaper model, and I didnt find this forum till after the purchase.
Fiftygrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #725
Rock Stacker

Now I know how kids that never get adopted feel hahaha
Old 07-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #726
Quarry Creeper

No lube on links bud. Just bearings that don't have rubber shields

And gears too during assembly

Last edited by THX_138; 07-23-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #727
Rock Stacker

Thank you, cheer`s
Old 07-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #728

im a newbie with a vaterra Twin hammers. i need help setting it up box stock. i havent messed with the center drive train and slipper clutch. should the clutch have some slip on the twin hammers?
warpspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #729
Rock Crawler

I'm looking for some body to show me the ropes on set ups, do's & don'ts. I feel like I'm beating my head against the wall. Anyone near N.Oak & Barry rd. Please send me a PM and we can work out a time together. Thanks again. I seem to learn best seeing things in person this way here takes forever
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #730
Axa

What about lube on driveshafts (metal and plastic on an ax10)?
Is Dry lube made for bicycle chains, that won't attract dirt ok?

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 2
Axa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #731
RCC Addict

really don't need any lube
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #732

Greetings,

well, I'm like Shrödinger's Cat, both newb and experienced at the same time. More than 2 years with RC helis and recently RC truck - Traxxas Slash 4x4.

But I feel I'm missing one more truck - a crawler. And I want to build one by myself. Therefore I have tonns of questions about axles, transmissions, wheels, motors, etc.

I lack basic knowledge about crawler terms (reading and research doesn't bring straight answers) so I'm looking for some kind and patient soul that would guide me through, answer silly and weird questions and finally help in getting proper parts for my future rig.

If anyone is interested in bringing another innocent into the Dark Side of RC (as I was already told ), fell free to send a PM.

Cheers.
Sabaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #733
Quarry Creeper

Someone adopt me! I'm not new to Rc but I was a nitro only guy, always thought crawlers and scalers were cool but they are all electric now a days and making a nitro crawler would be a pain. But I ended up with a chance to pick up a custom built rock buggy and I'm hooked now.
idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #734

Hello to all! I'm new to RC. I may be a little older than most but it's only a number. My son & I have Summits but I'd like to go in the direction of 1/10 scale rigs. Any help & or suggestions would be most appreciated.
John T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #735
RCC Addict

Welcome John! If you're looking for scale, you'll probably see most with the "Trailfinder 2" or the "SCX10". Seems to be the most popular of the scalers. However, there are several others to consider and most will be more capable/entertaining than what you 2 are driving at present.

More than willing to help you choose, but its ultimately your call. Consider this. No matter what you buy, factor in the price of the rig and accessories/upgrades...basically to start, double the price of your rig! No, I am not saying that you need to replace things to keep your rig on the road, I am saying, there are so many accessories on the market, you'll want to spend a ton of money to make your rig "UBER"!

Surf the forums and see what appeals to you, then ask a ton of questions....go ahead, we're ready!

Prepare yourself for the addiction!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #736
Rock Stacker

I am looking for someone to help me out and extend my knowledge, I do not know anyone in real like that runs RC cars so all my learning is on the forums...

I have the following:

Losi MRC
Losi Comp Crawler
Losi night crawler

Axial wraith
Axial wraith/exo
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #737

Mr. Redsawacs. I thank you for your info. and yes i will take all the help i can get from you or other members. I say I'm new to RC that may be wrong i have a summit,a legend car, a vaterra 65 mustang and a 32 ford just the body and chassis. It's been a long time since i drove them. I'm want to go "scale" I like axial scx10 with the ford super duty body. I'm a ford man all the way (sorry chevy). So young man, help me make a good scale truck. I don't mine working. thank you JT.
John T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #738

Heli guy here and looking at a change of pace. I love the looks of these crawlers and would like to get into one. But as the title states, Im hoping to get led in the right direction before purchasing. I like the scale look but want the mobility so i can climb steps, parts availability, and options for bodies. Any guidance is appreciated on what may be a good place to start.
Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #739
Quarry Creeper

The choice essentially is what's higher priority to u? Form or function? Scale stuff in form has most of the same limitations as 1:1 trucks on the trail, comp crawlers are very similar to their 1:1 equivalents also, as in they barely look like a truck but function on much wilder terrain. Anything with a full body automatically looses functionality.
If your looking for a middle ground between the two, and with lots of parts available, I suggest an axial ridgecrest with an aftermarket chassis, cut down body, overdrive front gears, under drive rears, a dig tranny if u want even more possible function, and most importantly.... Some shift hubs by lattice innovations to help with the too wide track width, they help tremendously with catching on rocks on the axle housings. Oh yeah, one more thing... Beef toobs for the front axle.
My preferred remote for it is the futaba 3pmx
Old 10-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #740

Thanks for the info. I have a Futaba 3PL tx. Understand on the form or function. i like the idea of cutting the body, but you mention aftermarket parts, would it be best to buy parts to custom build my crawler or is there a good entry level setup? i do like the idea of the dig function. I dont have much knowledge on this so there are some terms im not familiar with that you mentioned. it sounds as though all these parts are going to rack up the $ where i am just looking to have fun in the creeks. thanks again!

The choice essentially is what's higher priority to u? Form or function? Scale stuff in form has most of the same limitations as 1:1 trucks on the trail, comp crawlers are very similar to their 1:1 equivalents also, as in they barely look like a truck but function on much wilder terrain. Anything with a full body automatically looses functionality.
If your looking for a middle ground between the two, and with lots of parts available, I suggest an axial ridgecrest with an aftermarket chassis, cut down body, overdrive front gears, under drive rears, a dig tranny if u want even more possible function, and most importantly.... Some shift hubs by lattice innovations to help with the too wide track width, they help tremendously with catching on rocks on the axle housings. Oh yeah, one more thing... Beef toobs for the front axle.
My preferred remote for it is the futaba 3pmx
Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, berg, help noob, whats a dig?, whats clod stall?