Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #741

Default Re: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

Sounds like there are a lot of upgrades needed to just have some fun in the creeks. I dont plan on competing, just for fun on my free time. I do like the idea of a dig tranny, although not familiar with these units, i have heard about them and it sounds like something i would want. theres some other terms you mentioned that im not sure what they are... shift hubs, beef toobs, under and over drive gears. Thanks
Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #742
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
Heli guy here and looking at a change of pace. I love the looks of these crawlers and would like to get into one. But as the title states, Im hoping to get led in the right direction before purchasing. I like the scale look but want the mobility so i can climb steps, parts availability, and options for bodies. Any guidance is appreciated on what may be a good place to start.
Whiplash nailed it. It all depends on what you want to do. I am partial to the comp crawlers cause I just like to see the crazy stuff they can do (sometimes it seems they can defy physics). It also depends if you are looking to do it on your own or as a chance to meet some new guys and have a club to hang out with. Different areas may have more of one style than another. For example Maine has very few comp crawlers but a heavy scale following.

Do a little scouting, watch some youtube videos of each style and see which one you think would be a fit for you. You could also check your local section (at the bottom of the main forum page) and see if you can find a get together to get some hands on opportunity with the rigs.
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #743

im a newb of sorts.my first rc adventures were none too successful with flying misery machines.recently in my case i have purchased an ax10 scorpion for cheap.it has a 55t ansmann brushed motor and drag brake and lipo shut off ecu.i got 3 2200 lipos with it.all ready to run.i made some cvd boots out of shrink tube and also done the same for the drive shafts.i do like to fiddle .seems ok but ive only tried it in the house due to the poor weather.all my weather proofing ive done im happy with except the back of the motor.it seems all bare and unfinished with all copper bits and some diodes sticking up everywhere.i know i cant cover it completely but is there some sort of cover i could buy?or even make for it.cheers guys.
bert uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #744
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert uk View Post
im a newb of sorts.my first rc adventures were none too successful with flying misery machines.recently in my case i have purchased an ax10 scorpion for cheap.it has a 55t ansmann brushed motor and drag brake and lipo shut off ecu.i got 3 2200 lipos with it.all ready to run.i made some cvd boots out of shrink tube and also done the same for the drive shafts.i do like to fiddle .seems ok but ive only tried it in the house due to the poor weather.all my weather proofing ive done im happy with except the back of the motor.it seems all bare and unfinished with all copper bits and some diodes sticking up everywhere.i know i cant cover it completely but is there some sort of cover i could buy?or even make for it.cheers guys.
Hey Bert,
You do not need to worry amout the motor, a brushed motor can handle water and mud. Just make sure that you clea the motor and grease the bearings/bushings after a mud run.
If you need any help with anything else just message me. Always happy to help a fellow rc enthusiast out.
Eli
ejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #745
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsun View Post
I am looking for someone to help me out and extend my knowledge, I do not know anyone in real like that runs RC cars so all my learning is on the forums...

I have the following:

Losi MRC
Losi Comp Crawler
Losi night crawler

Axial wraith
Axial wraith/exo
Hey Texsun if you still looking for someone to help you out send me a message.
Eli
ejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #746

How to make the crawler have a better grip?
Edgarfierros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #747

I'm new to this sorta. I have been racing rc's for quite a few years now. Wanted something i could take up north with me so i picked up the scx10 rubicon kit. And to be honest i think i like this more than racing. The jeep is pretty much stock. I have a tekin fxr and 35 turn motor, CC BEC, savox sc-0251mg servo, hanger 9 servo arm, beedlocks, and the battery is mounted in the front. Got a few other things on order so i can upgrade the front end.

Last edited by khoun; 02-23-2014 at 04:03 PM.
khoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #748

newb with a new unopen rtr scx10 jeep looking for some help in choosing the right upgrades. Want to make this rig into something nice to go on a walk thru my condos and even on a hike. thanks in advance
Josebleedsblue24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #749

Help meh! Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp meeeeeeeeeeeeeh!

If the offer is expired, no hard feelings. But I just got here and I can't seem to even post in the NO-FLAMIN' thread!

Thanks.
Timmomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #750
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josebleedsblue24 View Post
newb with a new unopen rtr scx10 jeep looking for some help in choosing the right upgrades. Want to make this rig into something nice to go on a walk thru my condos and even on a hike. thanks in advance

Really you don't need much, first thing i would do is save up for a good steering servo that will cost almost half as much as the kit itself. Hitec is the brand i prefer, there are many choices. Keep this as a back up cause the stock servo is kinda weak and will fail after a while, or sooner if you drive it like its meant to be driven (over rocks).

Depending upon how you drive it, in the parking lot/dirt walking trails, nothing will ever break. I would just upgrade parts as they fail. Otherwise spend all you cash on the scale look, hard plastic bodies, full interior, wheels/tires....WARNING!!! Once you start you just can't stop!

Tustin huh? MV here....hope this helps.

Last edited by TheAxialNut; 03-13-2014 at 07:17 PM.
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #751

I have a hitec 645 servo laying around will that do good and yea I spend a bit on it well about 100 got the vanquish light bar going to order the brackets on Monday got the top and a driver I have to detail a bit. Where can I get the hard body and full interior I was Planing on outting all the scale poison spyder parts u seen but can't seem to find them

Mv Moreno Valley or mission viejo

Last edited by THX_138; 04-21-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Josebleedsblue24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:00 AM   #752

Hi guys, I am new to this forum, but I've had a Tamiya F-350 for a number of years now. It hasn't seen much action, but it does get used from time to time. The model has always been a little noisy, but I haven't serviced it since it was built.

So, my question is this: what is the maintenance routine for these machines? Do I have to add some grease/oil to the gearbox, diffs, etc? How do I fix a noisy model?

Thanks in advance.
Arxangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #753

Growing up I raced 10th scale RC's in a variety of classes 4wd, truck and buggy mod classes primarily..... I have missed the sport a lot and am excited to re-enter it in the crawling capacity...

I have a 1:1 crawler that I have been running and think the driving skills in RC will be a great compliment to the much more expensive real life sport (not to mention not having the fear of significant bodily harm when trying more technical and complex lines.

Several of my friends are in the RC crawling hobby and competing locally. Having driven their rigs I am ready to take the plunge myself.

Due to my background in the hobby and goals behind driving skill carry over I have decided on a few things I would like from the start. I'm positive I want digs, and am more interested in a buggy style build than anything scale. I also know that I don't tend to settle for lower performing budget options and if I buy a lower end to moderate setup it won't last more than a week before the inevitable chain of hop ups begin.

I'm leaning towards a solid MOA comp crawler from the start. I'm hoping to find a solid rig that is used due to a strained budget (jeep's aren't cheap).... I know you can inherit other peoples problems but if selected carefully I am confident I'll come out ahead.

If someone wants to adopt me feel free! I want to get up and running fairly quickly so I can join my friends! So far whats stuck out are the berg's, xr10 (if I can find one), or bully based rigs as a good starting point

UPDATE: I pulled the trigger on an XR-10 Based Chaotic Switch. SCX10 Shocks, a bunch of vp components, fxr with punk dig (for now)..... After a lot of reading, I ordered up some of the jeepindoug cups and will pick up some silver mini-t springs locally.... I just need to figure out how to operate the digs with the dx3e its coming with (scheduled to be delivered tomorrow).... Then get some wheel time in with it! First mods will be ditching the VP dirty harry's and rovers for some carbon wheels/voodoos, and knuckle weights. Then 4channel radio and a second fxr! I'm pumped.

Last edited by CrawlColorado; 05-16-2014 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Update
CrawlColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #754

new to this will need help

srad750c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #755
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlColorado View Post
Growing up I raced 10th scale RC's in a variety of classes 4wd, truck and buggy mod classes primarily..... I have missed the sport a lot and am excited to re-enter it in the crawling capacity... I have a 1:1 crawler that I have been running and think the driving skills in RC will be a great compliment to the much more expensive real life sport (not to mention not having the fear of significant bodily harm when trying more technical and complex lines. Several of my friends are in the RC crawling hobby and competing locally. Having driven their rigs I am ready to take the plunge myself. Due to my background in the hobby and goals behind driving skill carry over I have decided on a few things I would like from the start. I'm positive I want digs, and am more interested in a buggy style build than anything scale. I also know that I don't tend to settle for lower performing budget options and if I buy a lower end to moderate setup it won't last more than a week before the inevitable chain of hop ups begin. I'm leaning towards a solid MOA comp crawler from the start. I'm hoping to find a solid rig that is used due to a strained budget (jeep's aren't cheap).... I know you can inherit other peoples problems but if selected carefully I am confident I'll come out ahead. If someone wants to adopt me feel free! I want to get up and running fairly quickly so I can join my friends! So far whats stuck out are the berg's, xr10 (if I can find one), or bully based rigs as a good starting point UPDATE: I pulled the trigger on an XR-10 Based Chaotic Switch. SCX10 Shocks, a bunch of vp components, fxr with punk dig (for now)..... After a lot of reading, I ordered up some of the jeepindoug cups and will pick up some silver mini-t springs locally.... I just need to figure out how to operate the digs with the dx3e its coming with (scheduled to be delivered tomorrow).... Then get some wheel time in with it! First mods will be ditching the VP dirty harry's and rovers for some carbon wheels/voodoos, and knuckle weights. Then 4channel radio and a second fxr! I'm pumped.
There are some YouTube videos for how to program a hacked remote, try a reg web search? Or the electronics section here

Welcome to the addiction!
Whiplashdjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #756
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad750c View Post
new to this will need help
What kind is it?
There's a ton of reading to do here, read many before doing to much to it is my suggestion. I read build threads for 2 months and still ended up changing to other stuff I read after getting my xr10
Whiplashdjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #757
Quarry Creeper

Hey I'm new to rcc but have been lurking for a while now. I recently got an exceed mad torque cuz I like the moa setup. My friends all have 1/10 scale crawlers so I decided to make the Mt smaller. I've got it sittin on 2.2 Baja claws with a 13" wheelbase. I started a build thread in the general section if anyone wants to check it out. And I could use some input on how it looks and some electronics upgrade ideas.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my 4gLTEvo
Crawlin' Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #758

Hi thanx for offering advice. So I am new to rc crawling and I wanted to get a kit that is durable and is a good platform for future upgrades. I found the Frankenstein 1/8 Super Bully 65:1 ARTR Kit . Is this a good kit to start with?
Jordan128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:42 AM   #759

Is it possible to have 4WS switchible.

ie turn it on when you need it.

i'm trying to work out what to do to the truck once it turns up.

jono
Jono.Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:01 AM   #760
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono.Welsh View Post
Is it possible to have 4WS switchible.

ie turn it on when you need it.

i'm trying to work out what to do to the truck once it turns up.

jono
Yeah, all you need is a 4-5ch rx and a 3pos toggle switch on your tx. I am actually finishing up my 4ws with a switch on my JK Brute now.

Probably Sent Sitting On The Toilet...
HPI-Killer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, berg, help noob, whats a dig?, whats clod stall?