Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2016, 10:49 PM   #841

Default Re: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

I am not sure I really am a newbie. About 20+ years ago I had a team associated rc10 truck. Being a teacher, I recently got approached by some young students who were interested in starting an rc club at school (I also teach automotive classes).

About a decade ago I tried getting back into the rc hobby with a nitro tc3. associated on road car. Honestly, I was diapsappointed in the run time per tank of fuel. Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago when I was approached by students and I already purchased in the following order, an axial scx10-2, a team associated b44.3 buggy, and an Hpi rtf sprint 2.

I have begun trying to get caught up with lipo batteries, smart charges, radios without crystals, etc....

Well, without getting long winded (I think I already did), I love my axial scx10-2 kit. There is learning curve, but I already want another axial kit. So what do you "Old Timers" want to share with me? I have been considering a wraith or yeti as me next axial kit.
Scrmblr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #842

that's very cool, Teach. I'm pretty new as well but TOTALLY into starting a RC crawler club in Portland, OR where I live. Just thought I'd reach out and tell ya how cool i thought your post was. P.S. so glad they still have auto class where youre at, we're losing programs out here left and right.
Murdock503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:39 PM   #843
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrmblr2 View Post
I am not sure I really am a newbie. About 20+ years ago I had a team associated rc10 truck. Being a teacher, I recently got approached by some young students who were interested in starting an rc club at school (I also teach automotive classes).

About a decade ago I tried getting back into the rc hobby with a nitro tc3. associated on road car. Honestly, I was diapsappointed in the run time per tank of fuel. Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago when I was approached by students and I already purchased in the following order, an axial scx10-2, a team associated b44.3 buggy, and an Hpi rtf sprint 2.

I have begun trying to get caught up with lipo batteries, smart charges, radios without crystals, etc....

Well, without getting long winded (I think I already did), I love my axial scx10-2 kit. There is learning curve, but I already want another axial kit. So what do you "Old Timers" want to share with me? I have been considering a wraith or yeti as me next axial kit.
Welcome back to the addiction! I'd spend some time reading rather than me filling you full of a bunch of opinions on the subject. As someone that went through a similar timeline I can say that things have progressed a lot since you left. Spend time reading rather than me filling you full of a bunch of opinions. I will caution though, you do get what you pay for. Rather than spending $10 for a mediocre part, spend $15 and be done with it.

One suggestion, once you learn a bit, use it as a tool to teach lessons on servos, motor controls, induction motors, and PID feedback loops. They all exist in this world but are called different things. There's not much in schools now from what I've seen for automation controls. I personally wish this was taught in my schools and there's a significant skills gap in the "trades" world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdock503 View Post
that's very cool, Teach. I'm pretty new as well but TOTALLY into starting a RC crawler club in Portland, OR where I live. Just thought I'd reach out and tell ya how cool i thought your post was. P.S. so glad they still have auto class where youre at, we're losing programs out here left and right.
Check out ORCRC on facebook. I just moved from Portland and there's already a pretty significant club in the PDX area. It's a pretty cool group of folks and some top notch driving and cars.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:06 AM   #844

Red face Re: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

HI, Im Veera, I Appreciate your thought! I bought a new axial bomber rr10 RTR, I have a issue with it, actually its working, but not at all moving forward
gorasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:50 AM   #845

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorasam View Post
HI, Im Veera, I Appreciate your thought! I bought a new axial bomber rr10 RTR, I have a issue with it, actually its working, but not at all moving forward
We'll need a lot more details.

Is it the RTR Bomber or a kit that you build? Which battery, ESC, motor, and transmitter are you using? Does it go in reverse?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:06 AM   #846

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
We'll need a lot more details.

Is it the RTR Bomber or a kit that you build? Which battery, ESC, motor, and transmitter are you using? Does it go in reverse?
Firstly, thankyou , it's a RTR bought it from tower hobbies, battery: venom 5000 mah, 2s lipo, ESC: AXIAL AES -5 , MOTOR: AES 35T, TRANSMITTER : TACTIC TTX300.

Initially connected the battery to the bomber and then tried moving the rig, but no use, then connected battery directly to the motor, motor was absolutely working, and I observed that after connecting the battery to the Esc , a red light is flashing till the disconnection.there was no response when I give throttle , but the steering is working and more over i saw some videos on aes calibration , i noticed some serial beeps of esc asap esc is switch on which I cannot find it on my esc.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #847

Quote:
Firstly, thankyou , it's a RTR bought it from tower hobbies, battery: venom 5000 mah, 2s lipo, ESC: AXIAL AES -5 , MOTOR: AES 35T, TRANSMITTER : TACTIC TTX300.

Initially connected the battery to the bomber and then tried moving the rig, but no use, then connected battery directly to the motor, motor was absolutely working, and I observed that after connecting the battery to the Esc , a red light is flashing till the disconnection.there was no response when I give throttle , but the steering is working and more over i saw some videos on aes calibration , i noticed some serial beeps of esc asap esc is switch on which I cannot find it on my esc.

It sounds like your ESC is defective. Contact Axial or the retailer at which you bought your Bomber.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #848
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

make sure the throttle trim is set properly, if its not set properly, it wont arm...you will get an initial series of beeps for the lipo size and the red light will flash but not arm...the newer AE-5 esc's do not have the switch anymore
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #849

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
It sounds like your ESC is defective. Contact Axial or the retailer at which you bought your Bomber.
Okay, sure. Thankyou, Good day, Merry Christmas.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #850

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
make sure the throttle trim is set properly, if its not set properly, it wont arm...you will get an initial series of beeps for the lipo size and the red light will flash but not arm...the newer AE-5 esc's do not have the switch anymore
Asap i connect the battery, i do not hear any initial beeps, instead red light flashes. Can u send me a link for how to set throttle trim properly, if I missed something, I'll go through once again. Thankyou very much for your response, Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #851
I wanna be Dave

here is the manual, http://manuals.hobbico.com/tac/tacj0300-manual.pdf

but look at the throttle knob and make sure its either at 0 or in the middle... dont have a tactic here to see which way it works...

edit: looking a a pic online, looks like its one that you turn the throttle trim all the way to the left(counter clockwise) until it stops for it to be at zero...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #852
Quarry Creeper

Sort of newb here, coming back into RC after a 6 years hiatus. Life got in the way and I sold everything off years ago but never lost interest. After seeing me watching hundreds of Youtube videos on (mostly) scale RC my wife and daughter surprised me with a Vaterra Ascender RTR yesterday. The shop where my wife bought it sold her a NIMH battery and charger which won't fit in the battery tray so I need some advice on going Lipo and getting affordable batteries and a charger. The IMAX B6AC V2 seems affordable but I've forgotten a lot more than I remember so figured I'd ask here before dropping money.

Recommendations for batteries, a charger or any strongly suggested upgrades would be greatly appreciated!
Phylodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #853
Pebble Pounder

Before ya go grabbing a lipo, find out what your ESC can handle(2s,3s etc..) once you have that info, you'll know what voltage to choose. 2s=7.4v, 3s=11.1v, 4s=14.8v. HobbyKing has a large selection of lipo's and chargers. Hope this helped man. Congrats on the Vaterra!!
Cheers,
-Nasty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nastyman211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #854
Pebble Pounder

What's "Berg" mean? Berg newb?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
excabswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #855
Pebble Pounder

Berg is in reference to the "Enroute Berg" MOA crawler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nastyman211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #856
Pebble Pounder

So I've got this SCX10 ii. Completely stock parts except for the $6 metal steering arm.

I cut off the bump stops to gain some more travel.

The guy at the hobby shop said that he runs without springs because his is a dedicated crawler.

If I run without springs, what class would that be?

Also, I bought the pro line 85 Yota body. Planning on welding a rear cage together that will mount to the frame rails. Not permanently welded to the frame though.

Going to harden the body with a layer of fiberglass and a layer of Bondo. What class would this be?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
excabswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:23 AM   #857

Good deadbolt first mods and where to find them.
huntercbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #858

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercbmx View Post
Good deadbolt first mods and where to find them.
Heres a fun little trick get a 2nd battery plate and mount it by the front of your deadbolt that way you can run them parallel and get the weight distributed alot better also i would get some wheel spacer those helped mine alot with rolling
Heres a picture of my deadbolt to help explain the battery placement
axialracer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #859
Rock Stacker

So I bought the ECX barrage 1/24th cause it looks BA. I eventually want to go with a lipo. My question is the Truck comes with a 2 in 1 receiver/ESC. Is there any way to use the 2 in 1 receiver then skip over the ESC to use a better lipo compatible one? I only ask as obviously dropping 70-100 bucks on a tx rx combo then more on the ESC and batteries is a bit more then I want to spend on a micro crawler. If thats the case ill wait till i get a 10th scale crawler come summer time and get a tx that I can use for both of them .
Heroesneverquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:05 PM   #860
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesneverquit View Post
So I bought the ECX barrage 1/24th cause it looks BA. I eventually want to go with a lipo. My question is the Truck comes with a 2 in 1 receiver/ESC. Is there any way to use the 2 in 1 receiver then skip over the ESC to use a better lipo compatible one? I only ask as obviously dropping 70-100 bucks on a tx rx combo then more on the ESC and batteries is a bit more then I want to spend on a micro crawler. If thats the case ill wait till i get a 10th scale crawler come summer time and get a tx that I can use for both of them .
No way that I know of, but you can spend as little as $20 on a pistol grip 2.4ghz transmitter and receiver on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...z&_sacat=40703

However, I recommend the $50 GT3C that comes with a lipo battery and USB charging cable. It has a 99 model memory and is hackable to 8 channels. You can pick up extra receivers for your other models for $5 apiece.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, berg, help noob, whats a dig?, whats clod stall?