Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2017, 10:38 PM   #861
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

How durable is the gt3c when its dropped? I only ask as the wheel hanging off that small piece by itself seems like a breaking point.
Heroesneverquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2017, 10:45 PM   #862
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by excabswap View Post
So I've got this SCX10 ii. Completely stock parts except for the $6 metal steering arm.

I cut off the bump stops to gain some more travel.

The guy at the hobby shop said that he runs without springs because his is a dedicated crawler.

If I run without springs, what class would that be?

Also, I bought the pro line 85 Yota body. Planning on welding a rear cage together that will mount to the frame rails. Not permanently welded to the frame though.

Going to harden the body with a layer of fiberglass and a layer of Bondo. What class would this be?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I am also a noob. I would assume that would keep you in class 1 only because technically it doesn't say you need to have springs in. I mean it may be that it tosses you into class 3 right away just because in real life you could never run that on the street.

Personally idk.. I don't think dropping the springs is better when your running a full body. It would make for a terrible approach and departure angle as essentially the suspension would be all down travel rather then up travel. A better bet would be to maybe chop the springs in half or something. If you were class 3 so like no real fenders, bumpers not required to be as wide, i would think that up travel is less of an issue and lowest COG is more important so no spring makes some sense.
Heroesneverquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #863

I'm a new to the crawling and scale part of the RC trucks and have a few questions that I'm sure are super basic for most of you. Some answers are easy to find and some are not, and I don't want to create a bunch of new posts if I don't have to. I don't want to be "that guy" This looks like the best place to ask the dumb questions, because you need patience if you are adopting LOL

Main question is, Where would be a good place too look around and get ideas on what to purchase and how to install some scale accessories?

One thing I need some help with is attaching my tow ropes to the vehicles roof rack or something like that. I see ropes coiled up hanging from the sides but I didn't just want to use a baggie tie or something.

Right now I have a TRX4, E-revo, E-revo 1/16th, and a Summit 1/16th. and have owned a few buggies and Tmaxxes (Nitro)
Body is 52, brain is barely over 21, live in North Olmsted, Ohio
Thanks for the help.
GWTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:17 PM   #864
RCC Addict

Hey Tony, welcome to the forum! To answer your questions, eBay is a good place to start looking for scale items, but a lot of it is self-made stuff. A 3d printer can be handy, or you can order from Shapeways. Some folks use a dab of hot glue to hold things on. This should help: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale-accessories/ and https://www.shapeways.com/marketplac...ricelhhttps:// and http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...es&_sacat=2562
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:56 PM   #865

This will keep me busy for a while. I have a small 3D printer, today I printed a switch extension for the TRX4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #866

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTony View Post
This will keep me busy for a while. I have a small 3D printer, today I printed a switch extension for the TRX4.
what kind of 3d printer do you have? I want one to re-do the battery bed for the TRX-4

Hello All,

I am a total Noob! I recently bought a small quad, crashed it and bought another small quad... this one still works. And then I bought a little better one Hubsan 501 and needed to get a battery and battery charger. So I went to a really great Hobby Shop and was in there for three hours talking as if it was a barber shop. Anyway on the second trip in there, I was chatting with a customer(i use this term loosely as I mentioned this place is like a barber shop) and he turned me on to the TRX-4 and I walked out with one and I was only there to get some connectors. Well now I am hooked. So, while I am new into the Rock Crawling, I am no where near a berg noob, if that definition on page one is accurate?

Thanks for the education

Last edited by THX_138; 01-29-2018 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Merged, posts a minute apart
bob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #867

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_b View Post
what kind of 3d printer do you have? I want one to re-do the battery bed for the TRX-4
I have a mono price mini. Version 1. https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

It’s limited to how big you can make something, but you can’t beat the price.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #868

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTony View Post
I have a mono price mini. Version 1. https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

It’s limited to how big you can make something, but you can’t beat the price.
You can get this on Amazon for the price of $200 save yourself $20

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Samej57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #869

Hi all. My name is Jon and I am a newb. I got my son and I 2WD trucks for Christmas as a return to the RC world. We have been having fun although it is mostly snow and ice these days.
I have caught the crawling bug and I ordered the new TRX 4 Bronco. I am just waiting for it to make its way up to the Yukon where I live. First crawler! Can’t wait.
I plan on changing the servo, adding a BEC and portal weights right off the bat with the TRX4.

I am really interested in getting into scaling. First think I did when I got our cars was buy an airbrush and paint up a couple of new bodies. I really like to tinker and modify the trucks but I’m not very good at it.

Heading down south to Edmonton this week and I hope to spend some time in some hobby shops.
If anyone has any suggestions for thing to check out and learn about scaling, please let me know.
Jonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #870

Hey, I'm in need of some advice. I've had my f100 Ascender for bout 3 months, dovenosed the body, got a promodeler 470 servo with oversize Castle BEC, extended the front half of the frame to rotate servo 90 degrees so I could put my servo winch in right next to it. Changed out the oil in shocks for thicker oil, and outboarded them with spaces to make them set wider.
The issue is I smoked the motor doing stupid crap....like pulling my 2 year old on her trike. No issues on the flats but as soon as I started a slight incline smoke bellowed from the motor. So I ripped the battery out thinking that was the issue but then realized the smell/smoke was from motor. It has the stock Dynamite 540 35turn. I stopped in time where it didn't burn out the wires or completely destroy the motor but as you can imagine if doesn't run as good as good as it did before.
Long story short lesson learned. My question is what budget 540 motor would you suggest for crawling, not pulling my toddler on her trike? The dynamite that came with it is back ordered and wouldn't mind a little more power on the trial. I have only a couple 3cell batteries and love the added power and torque, but have to run my 2cells alot cuz I have alot not of them. Also if I go with say a 27 turn or something of the sorts will my ESC take it? Will I have to make some adjustments anywhere if I run a motor with less turns?
Although I have some cool mods I've had alot of help from an experienced friend who has been scale wheeling for well over ten years, but isn't always available. So I do still consider myself a Newbie.
Kindofslowsped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #871

Can anyone recommend a good but not crazy expensive 3D printer for making parts like a custom battery tray for the Twin hammers clone?
Neal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #872

Neal300 I have a mini Twin Hammer like you are talking about. I actually gutted the fake driver piece out and put netting along all the windows to keep debris out, and removed the stock battery tray and built one from sheet aluminum so it using the original hinge but instead of hanging over rear axle it hangs over the center of the truck right where the fake driver was. Doing this and removing the spare tire dramatically reduces center of gravity and have alot less roll overs at speed. I spent ALOT of time and $ on that little truck, I nick named mine NEWBRIGHT. It went pretty fast until I upgraded EVERYTHING but the shocks to aluminum for the suspension and all metal drive shafts. Slowed it down quite a bit. Burnt out the motor and put a new one in, within 5 minutes of the 1st test run with new motor it completely FRIED the ESC/Receiver. Now I'm waiting to upgrade all the electronics to ACTUAL hobby grade stuff. I have a new ESC and receiver from Xcelorin and a spectrum receiver but still need a mini servo and new motor/battery. I suggest not wasting time and money unless you plan on replacing ALL stock electronics. Be careful alot of the electronic kits are overpriced junk
Kindofslowsped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:26 AM   #873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindofslowsped View Post
Neal300 I have a mini Twin Hammer like you are talking about. I actually gutted the fake driver piece out and put netting along all the windows to keep debris out, and removed the stock battery tray and built one from sheet aluminum so it using the original hinge but instead of hanging over rear axle it hangs over the center of the truck right where the fake driver was. Doing this and removing the spare tire dramatically reduces center of gravity and have alot less roll overs at speed. I spent ALOT of time and $ on that little truck, I nick named mine NEWBRIGHT. It went pretty fast until I upgraded EVERYTHING but the shocks to aluminum for the suspension and all metal drive shafts. Slowed it down quite a bit. Burnt out the motor and put a new one in, within 5 minutes of the 1st test run with new motor it completely FRIED the ESC/Receiver. Now I'm waiting to upgrade all the electronics to ACTUAL hobby grade stuff. I have a new ESC and receiver from Xcelorin and a spectrum receiver but still need a mini servo and new motor/battery. I suggest not wasting time and money unless you plan on replacing ALL stock electronics. Be careful alot of the electronic kits are overpriced junk
Wow, thanks for all the info! I love the idea of reversing the battery tray. Do you have the 1/12 version? Mine is the wltoys 1/10 clone. Electronics upgrades definitely are on my list

Does anyone make dummy triple-bypass shocks that i can put on my car? How about a helmet pumper? Thanks!

Last edited by THX_138; 05-01-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Neal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #874
Rock Stacker

What if the people doing the adopting are really the newbies? Anyone can sit around and post on a forum just to get their post count higher. It doesn't mean that they can drive a crawler.

As for me, I'm claiming a Sgt. Schultz, "I see nothing, I know nothing". Now I have one more "meaningful post" so I can see the classifieds.
UncleJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #875

where I could use help, mentoring is with the CLASS 1 truck, and Class 2.
I have an SCX10.2 for my Class 1 truck, cause it has a stock CMS. does it matter if I use 1.5 wheels or 1.9, I think the tires must be 4.19" or less?
I have my stock SCX10.1 for my class 2, because it has the Axle Mounted Servo.
what upgrades are a necessity for this class 2 truck, starting with a SCX10.1?
thank you
super bike mike
SSmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:44 PM   #876

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmike1 View Post
where I could use help, mentoring is with the CLASS 1 truck, and Class 2.
I have an SCX10.2 for my Class 1 truck, cause it has a stock CMS. does it matter if I use 1.5 wheels or 1.9, I think the tires must be 4.19" or less?
I have my stock SCX10.1 for my class 2, because it has the Axle Mounted Servo.
what upgrades are a necessity for this class 2 truck, starting with a SCX10.1?
thank you
super bike mike
Where can i find what a class 1,2 and 3 difference are etc ??

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
bigjack7440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:38 PM   #877

HELP THE NOOBS . Welp this crawler things deep and super interesting i have a 1/10 scale fill in the blank . But im totally into this and can only read so much on the internet becuase its exhausting and confuses me even more . What i would like is someone whos been winning comps with scratch built rigs that seems like a true hobbyist and doesn't mind sharing the love with me thanks ....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Creepycrawly805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:00 PM   #878

I am a newbie and need advise!

Although I will have to warn you I have an attitude like a teenager (I know everything).
But I am 40 and turning 41 tomorrow and have decided to buy my first electric RC and build a tube chassis to boot.
Of course because of my age I also believe that I have reached a place in life where I don’t have to learn anything new.
So I might be hopeless and give up on this whole idea but not until I spend some money on a mid life crisis RC hobby!!
Peteyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:43 AM   #879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepycrawly805 View Post
HELP THE NOOBS . Welp this crawler things deep and super interesting i have a 1/10 scale fill in the blank . But im totally into this and can only read so much on the internet becuase its exhausting and confuses me even more . What i would like is someone whos been winning comps with scratch built rigs that seems like a true hobbyist and doesn't mind sharing the love with me thanks ....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Funny that this is what it turned into

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Creepycrawly805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:00 AM   #880

im fresh outta the gate buddy sign me up, got a kyosho foxx-ve that will only run at half power with charged battery and all, help a brother out with trouble shooting pls
flaten49@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, berg, help noob, whats a dig?, whats clod stall?