Notices

Thread: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2022, 07:52 PM   #901
RCC Addict

Default Re: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARL92Texas View Post
I need help!!! I've watched YouTube videos n so on for few weeks, bought my first RC crawler a 1/18 fms Toyota land cruiser and am addicted... absolutely no questions about hooked.... But now I want more, knowledge advice u name it it won't be wasted. But I am 30yrs old n not any good at navigating this site so please someone reach out.. I have so many questions... I want to do upgrades u name it.. wanna know more!!!!!
Welcome to the addiction lol. I dont know anything about that rig, but u may check out the micro section. Thats where the smaller 1/24, 1/18, n some 1/12 rigs are.
indybama is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2022, 08:51 PM   #902
I wanna be Dave

Ebay, usually always suggests the stock/upgrade parts when you type in your model #, scale, etc
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:40 PM   #903

Is this still an active thread? I am curious to see if anybody would like to mentor me on my first 1/10 crawler build. I don’t know much about comps or classes and am trying to piece together something I can trail run and rock crawl on some comp. sized obstacles. This is going to be a 1.9 scaled fun truck, that if I can swap some parts out, could run in competition in the future. This build will be based on the compatibility of the SCX10.2/ Enduro/ VS-410 platform. I have an idea of what I want and parts I want but no one to really bounce ideas around with. I’ve tried with other crawler groups but too many ideas get thrown out and weeding through and finding subjective suggestions is problematic, it seems everybody is a spokesman for a brand these days and when I ask questions about modding for fitment or customizing something I am either met with blank stares or questions of why I would do that.I am also not too worried about scale realism but also not interested in running a bodyless chassis like some comp crawlers. I am in no way inexperienced but would like some tips, mods, and insight from someone who has been where I am and is now a competent builder who could teach me a few things. I have built and rebuilt a half dozen micro crawlers so I have an ok understanding of what’s what. I’ve also built and heavily modified a kit Yeti and am in the process of a resto- mod of a 10+ year old Losi. I also run a 1/10 basher that is undergoing heavy mods as well.
P-Cubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:11 AM   #904
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the forum.

If you post in it, it becomes active.

But the newbie thread is not where I would ask about custom builds. You should start your own threads. Specific to a single issue or a build thread. I don't personally watch build threads myself. Mostly I just troll electronics.

Theoretically I would say a build thread in the scx10 section is where to post but I don't know how active it is.

Where the general area probably gets more views.

Best bet in my opinion is to check with what ever resources you can find to conect with a local group of Rock crawlers in person. Your local hobby shop might know of one.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:19 PM   #905

Thanks voodoo, I have talked to my local group. I have also been in contact with about 2 dozen people about my build and looking for advice.
P-Cubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:39 AM   #906
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Cubed View Post
Is this still an active thread? I am curious to see if anybody would like to mentor me on my first 1/10 crawler build. I don’t know much about comps or classes and am trying to piece together something I can trail run and rock crawl on some comp. sized obstacles. This is going to be a 1.9 scaled fun truck, that if I can swap some parts out, could run in competition in the future. This build will be based on the compatibility of the SCX10.2/ Enduro/ VS-410 platform. I have an idea of what I want and parts I want but no one to really bounce ideas around with. I’ve tried with other crawler groups but too many ideas get thrown out and weeding through and finding subjective suggestions is problematic, it seems everybody is a spokesman for a brand these days and when I ask questions about modding for fitment or customizing something I am either met with blank stares or questions of why I would do that.I am also not too worried about scale realism but also not interested in running a bodyless chassis like some comp crawlers. I am in no way inexperienced but would like some tips, mods, and insight from someone who has been where I am and is now a competent builder who could teach me a few things. I have built and rebuilt a half dozen micro crawlers so I have an ok understanding of what’s what. I’ve also built and heavily modified a kit Yeti and am in the process of a resto- mod of a 10+ year old Losi. I also run a 1/10 basher that is undergoing heavy mods as well.

You can start a thread in the 1.9 Scale Rig section and it will runs it's course. I'm sure people will jump in if you ask a question, but sometimes it might take a while until the right person to answer, notices your thread.

I've done some part scale - part custom builds myself and understand your feelings on the matter. I'm not that old in the hobby, but people seem to prefer the readily available options nowadays.

There's a great thread somewhere in this forum, from back in the day, when people were actually making their own scale items and a lot of customization was going on in the hobby. Now almost everything is 2 clicks away.
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:55 PM   #907

Is there a way to turn on post notifications? I didn't realize when replying in a thread it doesn't automatically turn them on.
bmxbryant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 10:32 AM   #908
I joined the Band!

Hi! One more newbie here. I'm going to buy my first RC crawler. It seems that a 1/18 fms Toyota land cruiser might be a good choice. Any other recommendations are appreciated.
AlNor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 11:18 AM   #909
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlNor View Post
Hi! One more newbie here. I'm going to buy my first RC crawler. It seems that a 1/18 fms Toyota land cruiser might be a good choice. Any other recommendations are appreciated.

I would go with a 10th scale crawler like the TRX4, SCX10 III, Gatekeeper, Sendero Sport ( on a budget), Ecto, etc... There's others too like the Vanquish VS4 10 but I dunno about how happy you'll be with an 1/18 scale long-term as your only crawler. There are much more capable crawlers out there with tons of factory and aftermarket support that will be much more capable and robust right out of the box if talking RTR. Spending even a couple hundred bucks on something that isn't all that exciting or performance based is worse than upping your budget for something better imo.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 11:42 AM   #910
RCC Addict

Quote:
I prefer GCM, Axial, Traxxas, RC4WD, Tamiya, Losi
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 12:10 PM   #911
Rock Crawler

Quote:
If you're wanting a baby crawler, fms sucks. Fms is nice for scale looks nothing more (with the one exception of the FCX24). They need alot of work to perform even decently except running around on the kitchen floor. Their all about scale.

1:18 sized, the Traxxas trx4m reigns Supreme by far. AX24 is actually much bigger than 1:24, but is a more dedicated rock crawler.

Anything else worth money is going to be 1:10 scale stuff.

In 1:10 can't go wrong with about any brand, just depends on what you want. More scale look, straight performance, durability, each is going to be stronger or weaker in some areas.

Like Traxxas TRX4, durability can't be beat. Performance is up there, scale look in mid range.

Rc4wd wins hands down for SCALE rigs. Performance is lacking compared to others but on par with their 1:1 counterparts.

Out of box performance for the price, Element wins and maintains decent scale.

Straight up rock crawler performance out of the box, Axial now has that spot with the new Pro, with Element Ecto falling in a very close second.

Redcat is another popular more budget minded choice, their newer versions are pretty damn durable too, second to Traxxas.

Now you want straight up quality, performance, ability to really scale out, Vanquish VS410. Depending on your tastes in vehicles, being an auto technician that works on about everything IMHO the best quality, reliability and performance combination of any vehicle brands comes from Toyota (and Lexus) so I look at the Vanquish as the Lexus of RC. Top shelf, top tier, as good as it gets out of the box. But you PAY for it.

I have 2 FMS 1:18, 2 TRX4M, 2 SCX24, 3 Element enduro rigs (knightrunner, gatekeeper, and a knightrunner/gatekeeper hybrid) and a VS410 so far. My youngest I got a beat to hell trx4 that still works great for him. Oldest has a Element enduro V2 builders kit. I'm picking up a fms 1:18 hilux from a friend tomorrow. Next major rig purchase will be the new TRX4 F150 Ranger High Trail most likely

There's a lot of things to think about, without knowing what exactly your after.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, berg, help noob, whats a dig?, whats clod stall?