Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Quick lipo and charger question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Quick lipo and charger question

ok looking to move over to lipos and need a new charger while im at it but looked aroud and searched a bit just wondering is the Duratrax IntelliPeak ICE Battery a good charger for 130$ or do i really need it or is there somthing cheaper that will do what i need? i was goign to pick up 2 pack of these http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1909 while they were on sale but not sure if they will be enuff? and if they are should i get the 7.4v or the 11.1v? just some questions befor i go spending money

one mroe question just to make sure i get it right, on the lipo in that pic you got you batt to esc and the other smalls for your radio reciver right?

also im runnig momba max esc so i can just swtich it over

thanks in advance
airranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I use a LiproPlus 5 charger, also sold as the iMax B5. Excellent charger that does all my LiPo packs, ranging from single cell 70mAH (for my indoor planes) through 2s and 3s airplane packs to my 5000mAH buggy packs. Cost me 40GBP, so probably less than 60USD.
I run it from an old PC power supply, as it needs a 12 volt input.

Whether you need 2s (7.4v) or 3s (11.1v) depends on your ESC and motor, as well as the weight of your crawler and the gearing. 2s is enough for most people. 1500mAH will give you plenty of run time and be capable of providing 30 amps - more than enough for most single motor crawlers.

The small plug is the balance lead. It connects to the charger so that it can monitor the voltage on each cell, extending the life of the pack. You don't use it while running the crawler.

Before you make the switch, make sure that your ESC has a LiPo mode, and that you enable it. This is a safety feature that cuts power when the voltage drops too low. LiPos really hate being run flat - it kills them.
Brushless ESCs all seem to have this feature. Not sure about brushed ones - you need to check.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

thanks for the help an my momba max can switch to lipos so im good there thanks, and dont really want a charger i need a pwer supply for, thanks tho
airranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

The Ice needs a power supply also, it is a good charger (I have had mine for about 2 years and no problems) you might want to check out the duratrax onyx 230 charger it does lipo and its only 80 bucks plus no power supply needed.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I would recommend the Venom Pro AC/DC Charger. It works great....
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...5&cat=7&page=1

I have been using this one from JRH and love it. Its AC/DC.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Imax b6ac same as the venom pro just relabled and cheeper with a built in power supply....

77$ free shipping

http://fgiltd.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3968133
bolibruch1 is offline   Reply With Quote