Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Got my Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 08:10 AM   #1

Default Got my Crawler

I got my crawler and now, ran it some and now I have a few questions. Axial with a x-trail frame. 27T motor in it now.

What does a BEC do. It has one, but I am curious what it does

I got a couple of 11.1 V lipo batteries with it, but I don't have a charger, what is the advantage of those compared to a 7.2 v NIMH battery. The ESC has a mode for both. I have NIMH batteries and a charger. I would need to buy a charger for the Lipo and don't want to invest in that just yet.

What is the difference in a 27T motor and a 55T motor, both brushed. My understanding the 55T is better, but in what way.

I bought a trail ranger body for it, and just have to make some brakets and mount it.

I am sure I will have more questions as I go, but that is all for now.
Zuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuke View Post
I got my crawler and now, ran it some and now I have a few questions. Axial with a x-trail frame. 27T motor in it now.

It drops battery voltage down to around 6v for safe servo/receiver power. Most esc's have a built in bec but they don't provide enough amps for big/multiple servos. So ya need an external ccbec when ya step up to a real servo.

I got a couple of 11.1 V lipo batteries with it, but I don't have a charger, what is the advantage of those compared to a 7.2 v NIMH battery. The ESC has a mode for both. I have NIMH batteries and a charger. I would need to buy a charger for the Lipo and don't want to invest in that just yet.

Voltage=power. A 11.1 lipo will provide more power/speed than a 7.2 nimh. Plus the lipo will hold higher voltage longer.

What is the difference in a 27T motor and a 55T motor, both brushed. My understanding the 55T is better, but in what way.

The 27t will make power at higher rpm = Less power at low speed where crawlers need it. The 55t won't turn as many rpm but will povide more power at lower speed. A smaller pinion/larger spur can help the 27t out at low speed and with the lipo 11.1 keep the wheelspeed.

I bought a trail ranger body for it, and just have to make some brakets and mount it.

Should have spent that body money on a charger

Welcome to the adiction!!!!!!!!!!
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Also LiPo's are a lot lighter than NIMH packs.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Lower the turns the faster, the higher the turns the slower and more bottom end power it puts out.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

55turn is a great middle of the road motor,,cant go wrong with it
mini max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

My take on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuke View Post

What he said about the BEC, IMO best $20 I ever put on any of my rigs, better power and response from the servos without the risk of overloading the esc.

Lipo batteries are lighter, generally smaller and more power than nimh's, the downside is you do have to shell out for the different charger. If you think you'll go lipo in the future then I'd hang on to the ones you have and run your nimh's for now, or you could sell off the unneeded lipos to recoup some of what you spent on the truck. Personally i run 7 cell nimhs on all my trucks with great results; not as much power as 3 cell lipo's but I dont break things like my lipo running buddies do either

Lower turns = less low end torque, more top end speed

Higher turns = more low end torque, less top end speed.

Most guys I know running axial based scalers use between 35 and 55 turn motors, but you can gear the 27 turn down to get more torque from the gearing on the low end.

Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #7

Here it is in action

Learning as I go. I am going to run the NIMH for now and keep the lipo batteries for later. it goes pretty well right now. I am waiting for more parts, need to mount the body better/different. eventually I want a better looking scaler. Maybe go to 1.9 wheels, but right now I like it
Zuke is offline   Reply With Quote