Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Lipo Battery Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #1

Default Lipo Battery Question

Hey so i have a quik question about lipo batteies , i have been running a 2 cell 1500mah in my scx 10 and its been fine , i dont have a lipo cut off yet cause i just finished the thing so i have been running it for only about 15 -20 mins of easy wheelin , a couple times i went for about 30 mins or so and threw it on the charger and it putabout 600-900mah back into it and recently i had it out for another 30 min run or so prolly the longest one and when i put it on the charger it peaked at 400mah???? does anyone know why it would not be putting more into the battery pack ? mabey because i went below what i should have on the battery? any sugestions would be appriciated
Curtis F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
JSN
Quarry Creeper

It's impossible to gauge capacity by run time... way to many things in play. get the lipo cut-off or alarm ASAP and just make SURE you stop as soon as you notice ANY drop in performance... keeping the run time short and taking it easy will also help protect your battery for now.

If you went to low on voltage running the battery to long you would be asking an enitrely different set of questions
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #3

hey thanks alot for ur help i appriciate it , im just gonna let it chill and pick up a cut off tom , thanks again!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

get a balancer that can read the voltage per cell on your pack too if you can afford it. There is a chance one cell is dead on your pack, or really low. cant tell without a balancer.

If you've drained it too far, the pack may be squishy(assuming it's not in a hardcase). If it is, it's trash. It'll probably work, but I wouldn't call it safe.

They usually go squishy before they puff, but not always. cutoffs are your buddy, and if possible, set them to at least 3.2V per cell.
HBRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

You have to get a charger that can monitor and balance charge to keep cells even and prolong the life of the batt.They just don't last if they are not kept balanced.
From 6.0v{the cut off voltagle} to the 8.4 full charge level you will see the proper mah number on the display if the charge is not interupted.
irok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSN View Post
If you went to low on voltage running the battery to long you would be asking an enitrely different set of questions

Ding, Ding, Ding !!!

How True......

Allso it was stated the battery "peaked" , I hope you ment something else.
because a peak charger usage is the #1 reason for a Lipo fire to start.

here is a ballancer that allso monitors the cells indivual voltages.
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=549
kind of pricy, but well worth it.
an adapter, if needed
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=213

Harry

Last edited by Old Sloppy; 06-08-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old Sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #7

Hey been away for a while , so i have a ice compitiion charger. I set it at 2cell 1500mah lipo and charge at 1.5 amps on cc-cv. So what im understanding is that mabey one cell in low , and i have to balance it ? The battery works fine , just wont put as much mah into it as i know for a fact that ive used . The battery does not feel squishy or anything . I Have been very carefull with it as i know they are not the safest things to deal with .

Greatly aprriciate your guy's help
Curtis
Old 06-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Allso it was stated the battery "peaked" , I hope you ment something else.
because a peak charger usage is the #1 reason for a Lipo fire to start.
Yea my charger just charges the battery until it beeps . Not 100% sure if it says "delta peak" on the end cycle , i think that might just be when im charging nickle batteries.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #9

By the way guys this is my charger , don't know if that makes a difference.

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/images/P/...%20charger.jpg
Old 06-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis F View Post
By the way guys this is my charger , don't know if that makes a difference.
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/images/P/...%20charger.jpg
Very good charger, but there are others that might be a tad better. I don't know, haven't used any thing else! I got my Ice Machine when LiPo's became available for R/C Car use. It was the only one available at the time that would charge LiPo's. It's been good to me.

The batteries are no more dangerous than a NiMih - as long as you follow charging instruction. Do put it in your budget to get a balancer and a low-voltage cut off device.

You will be happier with the peace of mind you'll gain, and able to enjoy your toy as it is meant to be!
Rick Findley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #11

Very well put rick , i am going to head out the door right after this to grab those things . My main concern was to see if my battery was done for . but i guess thats what the balancer will tell me . Thanks again everyone