Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: RC4WD R2 X-Mission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default RC4WD R2 X-Mission

Can someone explain to me what is the deal with these transmissions? I am going to be building a 1.9 F-350 SCX scale crawler, and I am looking for a low profile so that I can install an interior and not have to worry about it being destroyed by the spur gear.

I don't know if the x-mission is identical to that of the AX-10, but I assume it is. I was working on a scale rig before, but went comp instead. But while I was working on the scale thing, I noticed that the giant spur got in the way of the interior.

Any other tips so that i can get an interior on the f-350 hardbody would be greatly appreciated. I want to do this right as I have a lot of experience working with plastic models and this should be do-able.

Keep in mind that my tools are limited to an exacto blade and a dremel, as I am in Iraq and don't have access to the sweet stuff like lathes and band saws.
FireWire79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2009, 02:18 AM   #2
Who's your Daddy-0!

Use a Axial trans as a transfer case, put a gear reduction on your motor and run it to the Axial. No spurs to worry about. Plus you can get the motor closer to the front of your rig. Raceway Hobbies makes a transfer case as well as do other vendors on here. You have several options that you can do with that rig. Do some searching for the F-350 and look at other builds......
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The issue is that I plan on using a 12t motor and XL5 ESC from a Slash to get a little speed out of the rig. My issue with crawling before, was that it was slow. I've seen a few rigs on here using this setup and the ability to get about 25mph out of a scale trail rig would be fantastic.

So, given this. Can I use the RC4WD transmission and still get the speeds that I am looking for? I would assume yes, as it should just be a gearing issue, but I'd like a little help from the pros. ;)
Old 06-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
K_B
I wanna be Dave

I was planning on doing something similar; run a 27T stock motor (similar to a 12T Titan motor) with an RC4WD 4:1 planetary gear reduction unit and into an RC4WD (or similar) transfer case. Going for a "divorced" transfer case setup with the motor/gearbox in the engine bay and the t-case in the usual spot near the center of the chassis. Just not sure if the 4:1 is gonna be too low or not low enough. I coulda swore I've seen this done before, but my searches have turned up nill so far.

Did some digging for a transfer case in the vendors section and came up with this. He's using a GD-600 gearbox that when used with a 12T pinion, gets the gearing down to 3.8:1. Without doing further research to find the build thread, I'm assuming it works for him, so the RC4WD 4:1 should work well.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...=transfer+case

Last edited by K_B; 06-15-2009 at 01:06 PM.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

With this gear reduction would I lose some of the speed that I am looking for? I still want to be able to go out and bash some. I like jumping and stuff, hence the 12T motor. The only reason that I didn't go with a Holmes 7T motor is that the ESC that pushes it costs more than I want to spend, at least for now. I need to get things up and running before I do some fine tuning on it.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
K_B
I wanna be Dave

With the GD-600 gearbox, you can change the pinion out and adjust the ratio anywhere from 3.8:1 to 2.5:1 to either gain speed or torque. The RC4WD you're stuck with the one ratio. Not sure if this would be too slow or not; that's what I'm wondering myself. I might just have to bite the bullet and get the 4:1 and see what happens.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Are the forums here the only place to get one of the GD-600's or can I find them someplace else? The reason I ask is because I don't have a little star under my name so I don't get all the goodies. I will get my star when I go to Iraq and can blow extra crash on my scaler.

Is this the GD-600 that your talking about? Just want to make sure that we're on the same page. I did find that nice T-case and that should be a great addition to keeping things small and out of the way.

Last edited by FireWire79; 06-15-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:12 AM   #8
K_B
I wanna be Dave

That is indeed the GD-600 I was talking about