Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Intro and a few Q's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Intro and a few Q's

Hi folks,
super noob to crawling here, in fact don't have a rig yet, but have my sights on the Axial ax10 RTC.

I've been into RC for many years, staring with planes, then my eyesight went for a crap and decided to get into MT's (Tmaxx...other nitro trucks). Well, now I'm curious about crawlers as they are paced a lot slower than something like a Tmaxx and I think I could keep up with it eyesight wise.

Nuff of that babble.

I want to run lip batteries on the ax10 (when I get it). I see much discussion about different types of batts during my lurking here. brick packs, saddle packs etc.

Do you need a special ESC to run a lip vs a nmh pack (I'm assuming not but you never know)

What type of connectors does the stock ESC use on the RTC rx?

My plan is to get the ax10 RTC, run it , break it , and upgrade as I go along. Seems about the logical way to go about it. lol

Thanks
kortt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #2

Dont know what kind of connectors the stock ESC uses. You will want to run Deans plugs on your truck, though, as you probably know from your years in the RC hobby. They are a cheap and simple upgrade and worth it.

For running Lipo's vs. NiMH batteries, you can run either, you just have to stay within the restrictions of your ESC. It should say with your kit the parameters of batteries it will accept without burning up. Really, its not so much Lipo vs. NiMH, as much as it is about total volts and cells. For instance, my Novak Rooster ESC can handle 4-7 cells, and up to 8.4 volts. NiMH batteries are usually 1.2 volts per cell. I have an 8 cell saddle pack for the front axle that I cannot use, because it is outside the cell range on my ESC, and also outside the volt range (1.2 volts/cell x 8 cells = 9.6 volts) I also have a 3s Lipo that I cannot run either. The ESC should also give safety parameters for Lipo usage, my Novak Rooster is okay for 2s Lipo, not 3, 4, etc. So, check the specs on your ESC when you get it, and get the hottest battery you can for it without going outside the safe zone. Lipos will give a bit better power, but take more maintenance. You have to get a monitor to make sure you don't discharge them too much while running your truck or they will never charge back up all the way, and you should get a balancer for the Lipos for when you charge them so that the cells all balance out perfectly at the highest charge possible. Right now I'm running 6 cell NiMH for simplicity and price. If I get rid of my ESC ever, I'll start using Lipos as then I can run a hotter Lipo with an upgraded ESC.

Saddle packs are split up (3cells packaged together and three more packaged together, or 4 and 4, etc. for 6 and 8 cell batteries respectively) but still wired together. The reason for this is so you can mount them on plates on the front axle on both sides of your steering servo so you can have the weight of the battery low and over the front of your truck so it will climb better.

Very long answer, sorry. Actually can get even more technical than this, hope it helps though. Good Luck!
Skysthelimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The stock esc uses a standard tamiya plug.
RustlerHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the quick and informative replies!

Yup definitely will be going deans if the stock is tamiya (I hate those things).

Good advice on the bats and ESC. I just read the aritcle on Batts by Chris the Battery Guy and think I'll stick with nmh batts now. I run lipos in my helis and thought they would be good for a crawler but they are a different animal.

I guess I better just read every sticky thread here before I go making decisions on stuff.

Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to your new obsession!!!

This stuff is easy... Just get it, run it, see what breaks (or bends), find out what could be better, slap on the new parts and repeat.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Welcome to your new obsession!!!

This stuff is easy... Just get it, run it, see what breaks (or bends), find out what could be better, slap on the new parts and repeat.
Thanks, now I have to slip it past the wife

I know all about obsession, I've got a T-maxx sitting here with about $1500 invested, and I also play guitar so there are a few of those around too. lol