Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: MOA suspension questions.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default MOA suspension questions.......

I got the Berg built and running. The kit came w/ WK shocks and it said to put the tubing on the piston to shorten them 20mm. So I'm running a CKRC rock-it chassis, and have lots if top shock mount range, and see that the shocks bottoming is what is limiting my artiulation. Would I do better with no tubing and higher shock mounts? It would see to me that limiting travel is bad unless your CG gets too high...Correct?:?

The avatar pic is all the articulation I have to keep three tires down. I seems that there is alot more to be had.
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

That is almost to much i use a reg height soda can to set mine.
ubbb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
WOOPOOW!!

Could you post some better pics buddy?

Your COG needs to be about 3 inches, and then articulation doesnt REALLY affect much. If its way too much then it will, but from the looks of your avitar pic the articulation could use some limiting. A coke can maybe a little too much as well. Its more on personal preference though, im running the ZERO T and it doesnt have very much flex.
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

if I can lift a tire 5" its good. To much is a bad thing. I would say a good rule of thumb is you don't want to be able to lift a tire any higher than it is tall.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyTheKid View Post
Could you post some better pics buddy?

Your COG needs to be about 3 inches, and then articulation doesnt REALLY affect much. If its way too much then it will, but from the looks of your avitar pic the articulation could use some limiting. A coke can maybe a little too much as well. Its more on personal preference though, im running the ZERO T and it doesnt have very much flex.
If you look at the shocks, they are full compressed on the corners. And the bare chassis pic the top mounts are in the second from the lowest position.......The whole shock mount ear thrns upward alot more plus the selection of holes in the ears.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I would keep that belly clearance but put half of the limiter on the outside shaft so you can move the mount up and get them a little more vertical.

The travel looks fine though should be a little less if you stand the shocks up more.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failedabortion View Post
I would keep that belly clearance but put half of the limiter on the outside shaft so you can move the mount up and get them a little more vertical.

The travel looks fine though should be a little less if you stand the shocks up more.

What is the pros and cons of verticle vs laid down more?:?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
WOOPOOW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
When your shocks are too angled it creates axle steer. The look alright where they are at, but i should be talking, i dont run shocks on my rig anymore
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
A shock standing more vertcal will limit articulation, but have more spring rate( harder to compress). A shock laid back.. will have a softer spring rate, but give more articulation. It takes time tuning and playing with mounting locations to find what suits your terrain and preferences.

Edit: Colby beat me...lol
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Which rod ends are you using on the lower links @ the skid Pappy? smaller Traxxas ones w/hex shape, or larger dia. round 1s?
I haven't swapped my 0-T to the 'Rock-sl*t' yet ( I won the giveaway ), but I have assembled it w/Berg lowers and revo small 3mm rod ends and they're a little larger than the link- they bind on the chassis' side plates.
APESHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by APESHAT View Post
Which rod ends are you using on the lower links @ the skid Pappy? smaller Traxxas ones w/hex shape, or larger dia. round 1s?
I haven't swapped my 0-T to the 'Rock-sl*t' yet ( I won the giveaway ), but I have assembled it w/Berg lowers and revo small 3mm rod ends and they're a little larger than the link- they bind on the chassis' side plates.
Axial AX-10 links with the side bend in them.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyTheKid View Post
When your shocks are too angled it creates axle steer.

no they don't. Axle steer has to do with link geometry bud. All the shocks and springs do is support the rig and control travel distance as well as speed/dampining.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote