Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Traxxas XL-1 with 55T motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Traxxas XL-1 with 55T motor?

Would the XL-1 with 55T be adequate for a crawler?

Should I just go with the Rooster Crawler and 55T combo?
papaweely is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
dkf
Rock Crawler

There are a lot better ESCs for a crawler out there than the XL-1 but not in the same price range. The XL-1 has no drag brake and double tap reverse which are major negatives. The Xl-1 will handle to motor fine. If your going to spend the money on a decent ESC I would go with something programmable like the Tekin FXR, CC sidewinder or mamba max. You can get a Tekin FXR/55t ESC motor combo from stormer hobbies for $99.99.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
There are a lot better ESCs for a crawler out there than the XL-1 but not in the same price range. The XL-1 has no drag brake and double tap reverse which are major negatives. The Xl-1 will handle to motor fine. If your going to spend the money on a decent ESC I would go with something programmable like the Tekin FXR, CC sidewinder or mamba max. You can get a Tekin FXR/55t ESC motor combo from stormer hobbies for $99.99.
I was concerned if the XL-1 could handle the power demands of a crawler. I have some old XL-1's and would use them if possible. Looking at 1/10 scale rigs.
How would the Rooster Crawler system compare to the Tekin? http://www.shopatron.com/product/par....56590.0.0.0.0

Last edited by papaweely; 07-05-2009 at 10:40 AM.
papaweely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaweely View Post
I was concerned if the XL-1 could handle the power demands of a crawler. I have some old XL-1's and would use them if possible. Looking at 1/10 scale rigs.
How would the Rooster Crawler system compare to the Tekin? http://www.shopatron.com/product/par....56590.0.0.0.0
the rooster works great imo, the only downsides to it is that it is nowhere near a programmable as the castle or tekin stuff, and it can also only handle 2s lipo. .. .i would say go castle, for the money its a good deal. .. .
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
D-Wray 4 Prez!

The Traxxas XL works, but like everyone has said, there is esc/motor combos out there for crawling.
I used it on my WK and the only problem I had was that it it doesn't have reverse on the fly. You have to double click it like with the Traxxas RC's.
I say if you want to save a few $$ go for it!
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
dkf
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaweely View Post
The Xl-1 will handle the 55T motor fine but the BEC will be weak and you may fry it if you pull some good amps when the servo gets in a bind.

The rooster crawler is a good combo and Novak makes good stuff but the RC is old technology and only rated at 7.4v. The Tekin FXR is completely programmable and handles a 3S lipo, plus its also a lot smaller than the Novak. https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=TEKTT2102
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:43 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Just to get it going I would say go for it if you already have an esc laying around. If oyur going to buy a crawler specific esc I would highly recomend the Tekin FXR !
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote