Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie servo upgrade question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #1

Question Newbie servo upgrade question

I just replaced my stock AX-10 servo w/ a servo from Crawford Performance Engineering (200+ oz. torque for 20.99), but my question is this...when I turn on my crawler, the steering turns almost all the way to the right. Then when I turn my radio on, the steering centers itself, which I'm assuming is because of me adjusting my steering trim on my stock radio. Does it sound right for the steering to turn like that at start up, or is there some sort of adjustment i should've done when I installed it?
cableguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Did you try(?):
-Turn everything off.
-Unscrew the horn from the servo.
-Turn on radio.
-Turn on servo/rig.
-Center your Steering trim on your radio.
-Reinstall servo horn making sure the tires are as straight as you can get them. You may have to adjust Steering trim a bit.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Remove the steering horn from servo.Turn on radio.make shure the steering trim is set in the center of the adjustment on the radio.position wheels strait.install horn on servo.Ur golden
speed goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
I just replaced my stock AX-10 servo w/ a servo from Crawford Performance Engineering (200+ oz. torque for 20.99), but my question is this...when I turn on my crawler, the steering turns almost all the way to the right. Then when I turn my radio on, the steering centers itself, which I'm assuming is because of me adjusting my steering trim on my stock radio. Does it sound right for the steering to turn like that at start up, or is there some sort of adjustment i should've done when I installed it?
You should always turn on your transmitter before connecting the battery and switching on the truck. Weird and even dangerous things can happen if you turn the truck on first - servos can move unpredictably (as you have seen) and motors can run at full speed. People have lost fingers with RC planes when the prop suddenly spins unexpectedly.

Get into the habit of turning the Tx on first - if you don't, one day you will have an accident.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #5

Thanks for the tips guys--it makes alot more sense to install/tune it the way you all described! I also appreciate the heads up on turning the tx on first; that seems like a valuable bit of info all newbies should know.
cableguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yup first rule of RC: The transmitter is the first thing on and the last thing off.

Not a big deal with cars and trucks but try forgetting with a 600 size heli you'll only do that once (if you're lucky)
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktbone View Post
Yup first rule of RC: The transmitter is the first thing on and the last thing off.

Not a big deal with cars and trucks but try forgetting with a 600 size heli you'll only do that once (if you're lucky)
I always forget this part you would think after replacing so many dead brand new AAs I would try a little harder to remember
RustlerHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Nothing worse than getting to the field and discovering your Tx is dead because you forgot to turn the damn thing off; thank god I've never done that

This is why I convert all my tx to lipo with deans connectors; I can then just use one of the 3s lipos I have with me.
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote