Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to the forum and crawling all together...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #1

Default New to the forum and crawling all together...

Hey guys im definately your example of a newb. I just purchased a RC4WD Copperhead, Novak fifty-five motor, rooster ESC, Mayhem Hi-torque servo, 2.4ghz reciever, 3 channel radio, and some hot bodies rover crawler tires. I havent received it in the mail yet but it i was just wondering if anyone has some advice for someone that has never put together a kit to make this go a little smoother and turn out a quality product i hope to get into competing fairly soon so any tips and tricks anyone can give will not be taken for granted!! Thank you in advance for all help and cant wait to get some pics and videos up for you all to see
Wheetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Keep the wiring as clean as possible
get a good charger and batteries
get dig if it doesnt have one
practice practice practice
dont show up comp day workin on your truck
for setup tips on tires, esc, radio, suspension, etc., do a search

read stuff on this forum as much as you can
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #3

The best advice i can give is to take your time when building, be patient, dont try to assemble the thing in one night. Locktight everything that is not threaded to plastic or into a nylock nut. Search for more build threads that are similar to yours. Your bound to find lots of good tricks. Good luck and besure to post pics of your build when its finished.
TNTCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

what shocks u gonna run?

Oh yeah, try rc4wd's forum for specific issues that may arrive during assembly of that copperhead.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTCrawler View Post
The best advice i can give is to take your time when building, be patient, dont try to assemble the thing in one night. Locktight everything that is not threaded to plastic or into a nylock nut. Search for more build threads that are similar to yours. Your bound to find lots of good tricks. Good luck and besure to post pics of your build when its finished.
X2, and use the medium loctite(blue) so you can remove the screws if needed.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #6

[QUOTE=SACCO;1887865]what shocks u gonna run?[/QUOTE

For starters im gonna gonna run the stock ones http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=494 but I'm open to all suggestions if anyone's got 'em i don't know if they are any good or not but well see that when it gets here.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #7

[QUOTE=SACCO;1887865]what shocks u gonna run?[/QUOTE ]

For starters im gonna gonna run the stock ones http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=494 but I'm open to all suggestions if anyone's got 'em i don't know if they are any good or not but well see that when it gets here.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I havnt seen those shocks do so well on comp rigs, but i have not personally tried to set some up on a comp rig. I do have them workin decent on a JK 2.2 scaler though. I think I am running rc18 springs on mine.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACCO View Post
I havnt seen those shocks do so well on comp rigs, but i have not personally tried to set some up on a comp rig. I do have them workin decent on a JK 2.2 scaler though. I think I am running rc18 springs on mine.
There is definately going to be room for some upgrades in the near future first im going to learn the trucks attitude then adjust for my driving style from there. Like i said im open to all suggestions and not one will be taken for granted because everyone that has a rig has more experience than me lol.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Default Great to have you

Welcome to the forum.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

welcome to the forum. the only thing i can say is take your time during the build. do it right the first time so that isn't the reason it breaks.if it breaks you want to mean it hahaha. also just get a feel for the truck and fix the things you dont like about the driving characteristics like spring rates,dampening (a big one for me) , and weight distribution/balance.

p.s. and buy some new foams!
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I have read on here that practice is important, BUT while practicing set up some gate markers so you have lines that you are forced to drive. Driving up and down the rocks is great but giving yourself lines to drive will give you patience and technique. To be honest I haven't competed, but I read that and to me it makes sense. Have fun and welcome to RCC.
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #13

Thank you guys for welcoming me to RCC i appreciate it, and thanks to all of you who have given me some helpful startup tips as soon as my truck gets here i cant wait to get it on the rocks but i will be patient for sure and make sure everything is done right the first time. ive learned alot on the forum already and cant wait to apply some of that knowledge to my rig and start tearing up the rocks!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #14

Hey guys i just got a email from RC4WD and my order just shipped!! so in about three to five days i will be able to share this build with you and hopefully get some great insight on what i can improve on when you see it. So i guess now its time to figure out how to post pics on the site huh? till then have fun everyone!
Old 07-18-2009, 01:03 AM   #15

Default Shock Length??? Shock Limiting??

Brand new to the Forum (Just Registered tonight - 7/17/09) been into to Crawling for about 7 months.
Need some help with Shocks???
I'm running an Axial AX-10 with stock chassis and stock shocks. Changed to Super Soft - Red Axial Springs and 100 wt. oil. but stock length. I was told by several people at the last comp I attended that my truck sat too tall, and I should put limiters in them?!? Any thoughts?
Ryan Schellerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:25 AM   #16

I cant answer that question for you as my first crawler will be on the door step tuesday but if you were to post a new thread there are many people that can and will help you out but your question is lost in a thread that doesnt have anything to do with your subject. Welcome to the forum and i hope you get the same great assistance that i have gotten since ive been here.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:50 AM   #17

Hey everyone an update on my Copperhead, it just showed up today so tomorrow i will have a build thread for your viewing pleasure
Old 07-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Good luck and welcome onboard to a hobby more addictive then crack.
Dirty Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #19

Hey guys im finally done with my Copperhead, I wasn't fortunate enough to have a working camera throughout the build process but i did manage to get a few pics of it done. So here goes,

Name:  crawler 1.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  crawler 2.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  crawler 3.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  63.7 KB

Like always any suggestions won't be taken for granted and your input means alot to me so have at it!!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #20

wow nice car how dose it pefform where did u buy it going to get one when money is good next week i get paid so we are looking good
slayer 88 is offline   Reply With Quote