Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Nitro Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #1

Default Nitro Crawler

I got this wild idea to do a nitro crawler type truck. Wanting the clearance and suspension travel of a crawler but it will be used for just messing around, no real crawling action. I want solid axles like on the Axial crawler, will these axles be able to handle the power and torque of a .32 nitro engine?

The entire plan that I have so far consists of an SH32 2 stroke water cooled r/c boat engine, electric motor and pump from a refueling pump as the water pump, 75cc tank as a water reservior, 150cc fuel tank, solid axles, 4 corner dual shocks, 4 channel spectrum radio (throttle/brake, steering, reverse, starter), custom built steel tube chassis, locked diffs, 4 wheel drive, 2 wheel steering, 2.2" proline bead-lock rims, and a single speed plus reverse transmission/transfer case.
luv_my_stang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

nitro engines do not lend them selves to being crawled very well, it can be done, i used to crawl with my big block t maxx. was a pain to keep running, liked to load up when tuned to stay cool ( i know water cooling) but then i think it will still load up because most two strokes need to be "cleaned out" continous low speed operation isnt their strong point. If you wanted to do a fuel powered crawler i would reccomend a 4 stroke engine, they make ass loads of low end torque unlike a 2 stroke. But it sounds like a cool idea
brokeitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
Holmes Hobbies

Nitro Crawler

Nitro Crawler Short Video

Nitro Crawlers - The Arguement Continues.... Again

nitro crawler with pic's

Just a few,There was an hopful building a billit alum. from scratch that was cool too.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #4

Default 4 stroke thumper

How hard would it be to make a 4 stroke water cooled? More of a realistic scaler than a crawler.
luv_my_stang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Default Go ahead and try it

For the most part doing a Nitro Crawler isin't really worth it. The heat issues is the main problem, and you don't get instant power when needed. hard to control during serious rock crawling.:? Thread 555 nice.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:20 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_my_stang67 View Post
I got this wild idea to do a nitro crawler type truck. Wanting the clearance and suspension travel of a crawler but it will be used for just messing around, no real crawling action. I want solid axles like on the Axial crawler, will these axles be able to handle the power and torque of a .32 nitro engine?

The entire plan that I have so far consists of an SH32 2 stroke water cooled r/c boat engine, electric motor and pump from a refueling pump as the water pump, 75cc tank as a water reservior, 150cc fuel tank, solid axles, 4 corner dual shocks, 4 channel spectrum radio (throttle/brake, steering, reverse, starter), custom built steel tube chassis, locked diffs, 4 wheel drive, 2 wheel steering, 2.2" proline bead-lock rims, and a single speed plus reverse transmission/transfer case.
I think that you will find it hard to cram all that into a tenth scale truck unless you are going bigger?
littleskull99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:25 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
For the most part doing a Nitro Crawler isin't really worth it. The heat issues is the main problem, and you don't get instant power when needed. hard to control during serious rock crawling.:? Thread 555 nice.
I have found that it is worth it, its a brilliant project for anyone who is up for a challenge and a bit of head scratching. The heat isnt really an issue if the cooling system is up to it. There is way more power than you need and a little refining of the clutch is all thats needed to deliver the power smoothly. I will have a new vid up soon, Il post a link in here...

Matt
littleskull99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Default Show Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleskull99 View Post
I have found that it is worth it, its a brilliant project for anyone who is up for a challenge and a bit of head scratching. The heat isnt really an issue if the cooling system is up to it. There is way more power than you need and a little refining of the clutch is all thats needed to deliver the power smoothly. I will have a new vid up soon, Il post a link in here...

Matt

I'm not saying it can't be done, because I've seen it in rc magazines and videos. Looking forward to seeing your video of your Nitro Crawler.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
Holmes Hobbies

here we go again,I am hoping someone gets it done and makes it work.I wish I could find the thread that a guy was building from scratch and making all his parts.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote