Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: I am RC dumb! Lots of questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #1

Question I am RC dumb! Lots of questions!

First question I have is how to hook up a brushless motor to my castle sidewinder esc there is no diagram for the motor just three ports A B & C?

Second question I am clueless about how to program my castle sidewinder esc? I have two rigs both with the same esc one with brushless 21.5t and the other is the novak brushed 55t. I am using a 3 cell lipo for both . So far it has been trial and error.

Third question I am runnin a warthog chassis on my axial with 4" losi shocks and dont have much articulation. My links and shocks are mounted as close to the wheels as i could get them. Any suggestions?

Fourth question I have a high torque servo for my steering and a pound of weights in each front tire. Are the weights the reason my rig wont turn for shit?

Last question is it possible to put my DNA dig unit into my warthog chassis without too many alterations to the frame?

I appreciate any and all comments and suggestions. I can drive this rig well but Im lacking much knowledge and terminology to become more competetive. Ive been to three comps and tied for third (by sheer luck) in Reno , I am going to Northern Cali this week to try and place again. Ive only been in the R/C world for five months now!
wranglercheroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I ll take a stab at a few of the questions. If you run sidewinders in more than one of your rigs, I would invest in a Castle Link. MAkes setup a breeze. Also need to know what servo you are using. Yes the weight hinders the turning if you arent running a BEC. ALso I recomend getting a castle BEC, Also easy to program with a Castle Link. You want that set a 6.0 volts.
As for Articulation thats all driver preference. Some Rigs perform better with tons of articulation , Some do well with none. You pretty mush just need to try some things and see what works for you. The Cool thing about crawlers is there is no wrong setup.
AS for DNA dig fit do a search in the AX10 section to see if any one has put a build thread on there about a Warthog.
And for the wiring I know you dont use the white wire on a Sidewinder with a brushed motor. You might check the MFG of the brushless motor you using to see if they have a diagram that shows wiring diagrams and go from there.

I hope this helps out a little!
dirttrackdemon93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Connecting brushless motors to any brushless ESC is easy - just connect all 3 wires on the motor to the 3 wires on the ESC. If the motor turns the wrong way, swap ANY TWO of the wires.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:49 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

want kind of servo are you using??
what kind of tire/rim/foam combo are you using???
more info on this would be nice
special agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:53 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The dna dig will fit into the Warthog, depends which servo mount you use, I used to have the mount which sits ontop of the dig casing, had to bend the chassis tubing a little to make it fit though so the horn clears
jordi555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:08 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordi555 View Post
The dna dig will fit into the Warthog, depends which servo mount you use, I used to have the mount which sits ontop of the dig casing, had to bend the chassis tubing a little to make it fit though so the horn clears
the new servo mounts will make it clear i beleave
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #7

Red face ?

I think i got some of it will know more tomoorow!
Old 07-16-2009, 12:57 AM   #8

Thumbs up Ahh haa

I got it....... the problem was that I needed a BEC for my dig servo and a few adjustments on my ESC programming!