Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Parts replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Parts replacement

What parts tent to break or burn out the most. I'm sure tires get replaced fairly often, but what about shocks, esc's, motor's, and servos? I know this also depends on what specific ones are used. Basically can I expect a long life out of the fxr esc and 55t motor? What about the CC sidewinder? Just wondering if I should save a few bucks with a sidewinder and venom 50t motors rather than the fxr stuff. When I upgrade later I will have replacements if one goes bad, but if they last a long time then I don't really need replacements on hand, just replace as needed.
mhuffman_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I ran both an fxr and sidewinder and I ran the fxr on a 45t and the sidewinder on a 30t and the sidewinder did not get as hot as the fxr, both running on 3 cell lipo. So I would say the sidewinder can take more abuse. The reason is the motor limit and the heat sink of the sidewinder I believe. I would run both esc's with a bec no matter what.

The common parts that break depend on your rig set up.
rc4x4crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'm pretty good at breaking axles/drivelines/knuckles/Cs/links/servos & horns/chassis plates/bearings. I haven't broke a esc (at least one that worked when I got it) and only one motor has gone south on me. With a moa you will really like the drag brake on the fxr way better than the sidewinder's brake if you plan to run duals.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

The Sidewinder is good but you will want to pair it up with a good motor such as a HH or a warrior that will give the best drag break. The FXR has a better drag/hold break even with a cheaper motor. A friend of mine runs the FXR, 35 integy and a 1500 saddle pack and gets about a half hour of run time and everything stays cool. He has been running it for about 4 months now without any problems. I run a Mamba, 35 integy, 3 cell 1300 lipo and we have about the same run times I have alot more wheel speed with the 11.1 but my drag break is not anywhere as good as his even after putting stronger magnets and heavier springs on the integy. The only thing that rellly did was couse the motor to heat up alot faster. I am pretty sure that when this motor fails I will be getting a HH to get my braking up to par. The one nice thing about the castle products is they seem to be a little smoother than the tekin IMO, but you really cant go wrong with either one and the price is really a wash in the end.
goodoldlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I break/replace about everything over time. But, the most common are the:

Axle C's
Axle knuckles
axle shafts
Ax-10 lockers
driveshafts
yokes (unless metal)
eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks to all of you. I figured that the driveline, axle, steering components tended to break more commonly than electroniics going bad. Thanks.
mhuffman_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

motors and servo's will last a long time.

You'll swap tires to try something new long before you actually wear them out.

I've pretty much got my rig upgraded and dialed to the point that I rarely break anything unless i'm just being stupid.

My motor (Integy 55t) and tranny (1st gen R2) have been in the truck since it was built. 4 years or so.
ComingApart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Oh yeah, I forgot about the r2d that exploded
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote