Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: First time lipo n00b HELP!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default First time lipo n00b HELP!!!

Just got my lipos and charger today, and i was wondering what i should charge them on for the first charge. They are 1500mah 3s 20c lipos. On the charger i can set it to lipo charge/lipo balance/lipo fast charge and i think thats it. Does it charge and ballance on lipo ballance? How many amps should i charge them at? Any info you have for me is appreciated.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Its also go a lipo storage setting and a lipo discharge setting. When is it nessessary to discharge the lipo? I also put the cutoff at 1500mah because thats how big the batteries are. Is there anything else i should change? Which setting should i charge it at and how many amps?
Old 07-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yes, it'll charge and balance on the balance option - at least, every charger that I've seen will. Post a link to the charger so that we can be sure.

A 1500mAH pack should be charged at 1.5A. Some people recommend doing the first charge at a lower rate, but I've never bothered.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlames View Post
Its also go a lipo storage setting and a lipo discharge setting. When is it nessessary to discharge the lipo? I also put the cutoff at 1500mah because thats how big the batteries are. Is there anything else i should change? Which setting should i charge it at and how many amps?
You don't really need to set the cutoff - it's just a safety feature in case something goes wrong. You only need to partially-discharge Lipos if you aren't going to use them for several months. Normally, you just charge them and use them, no messing about peaking or conditioning like with NiMH packs.

If you are going to leave them in storage for a long time, discharge them down to 3.8v per cell - that's probably what the "storage" setting will do.

No idea what the "discharge" option is for - you should never run a LiPo down below about 3.2v per cell. Chances are it'll never work again.
Is it possible that the "discharge" option is for use with NiMH packs?
Old 07-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Its the iMAX B6, the one you told me about in my other thread. Should i do a balance charge for the first one?
Old 07-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Its the iMAX B6, the one you told me about in my other thread. Should i do a balance charge for the first one?
I think that the B6 is the same as my B5, with a couple of extra functions like discharge and storage. I always do a balance charge, every time. It only takes a few minutes longer than a straight charge, and it'll keep the packs in top condition for longer.
It also seems to do a more thorough check of the pack if you do a balance charge - makes sure that you've selected the correct type and number of cells. Prevents you setting the charger up incorrectly.

The manual that came with my charger wasn't very good. When you do a balance charge, it's best to connect the balance plug and the main power leads. Not strictly necessary with a 1500mAH pack, but the balance plug can only handle a couple of amps. When you get bigger packs, you'll need to use both sets of leads, so it's a good idea to get into the habit right from the start
Old 07-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Not an expert, but I think Yes. might as well balance it. I balance charge my lipos every charge....... don't think it hurts it. and doesn't take much longer.
barbaricboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Alright thanks guys, i just put them on 0.5A balance charge, we'll see how it goes.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Alright thanks guys, i just put them on 0.5A balance charge, we'll see how it goes.
First pack took 52 minutes on 0.5A balance charge, took it out for a 20 minute run and didnt drain it yet. I love the power these things have to offer.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

where did you get your batteries and charger
dunerdude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Remember do not drain lipos! They should never be run down to 3.0v in fact I don't like mine to dip below 3.5v. The rule of thumb is 80%. You should be putting back in no more than 80% of the charge; so on a 1500mAh pack that would be 1200mAh plus a few mAh for heat inefficiency. If you have a lipo cut off make sure it's set to higher than 3.0v/cell.
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerdude69 View Post
where did you get your batteries and charger
http://www.ecpower.com.hk/index.php?...1523848de5f674

http://www.ecpower.com.hk/index.php?...roducts_id=186

I will DEFFINITELY be buying at least 2 more lipos from these guys. Took 7 days total to get here. (counting a sunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktbone View Post
Remember do not drain lipos! They should never be run down to 3.0v in fact I don't like mine to dip below 3.5v. The rule of thumb is 80%. You should be putting back in no more than 80% of the charge; so on a 1500mAh pack that would be 1200mAh plus a few mAh for heat inefficiency. If you have a lipo cut off make sure it's set to higher than 3.0v/cell.
Got my sidewinder set for 3.5v cut off.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Got my sidewinder set for 3.5v cut off.
per cell

Just in case

I run 3.3v per cell cut off on my Xcelorin, works nicely. 3s Lipos never get discharged past 10v for the most part.
JasonJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJones View Post
per cell

Just in case

I run 3.3v per cell cut off on my Xcelorin, works nicely. 3s Lipos never get discharged past 10v for the most part.

Yeah, its per cell.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:04 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

cool probably going to get this charger and lipos
Old 07-22-2009, 03:08 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

how much run time are you getting with these
Old 07-22-2009, 06:32 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

That EC lipo is exactly like the pack I have that has the CKRC sticker on it. The backs look identical.

I got it used so maybe someone just put the CKRC sticker on it, but you may want to check that it is actually 1500. The ones from CKRC were only 1300 according to another thread.

I have a Venom charger so there is no setting for mah on mine so I probably can't burn it up.
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascman View Post
I have a Venom charger so there is no setting for mah on mine so I probably can't burn it up.
That is such a scary statement there... lol

Just because it doesn't have a "setting" doesn't mean it can't hurt the battery. For all you know it could be outputting 3A, and that could definately cause issues for a small pack.

I bet if you turn that charger over and look at the back where it should list the input/output ratings it will say what its output is. If not, you should make an effort to find out, its in yours and your lipo's best interest.

I would suggest to anyone getting into lipos or wanting to charge lipos to get at the minimum a charger with a few charge rate ranges. Even the simple $20 electify lipo chargers have 100mah - 1000mah selectable, they are a very safe charger as well. Not as nice as a good balance charger with display, but will at least do the job.
JasonJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
cool probably going to get this charger and lipos
I highly recommend them, fast shipping, and so far everything is working perfectly.

Quote:
how much run time are you getting with these
Just finished the first pack, lasted 40-50 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascman View Post
That EC lipo is exactly like the pack I have that has the CKRC sticker on it. The backs look identical.

I got it used so maybe someone just put the CKRC sticker on it, but you may want to check that it is actually 1500. The ones from CKRC were only 1300 according to another thread.

Not sure how i can tell if it truly is 1500mah, but i paid $22 for BOTH of them, the first one lasted 40-50 minutes of bashing. Well worth it.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJones View Post
That is such a scary statement there... lol

Just because it doesn't have a "setting" doesn't mean it can't hurt the battery. For all you know it could be outputting 3A, and that could definately cause issues for a small pack.

I bet if you turn that charger over and look at the back where it should list the input/output ratings it will say what its output is. If not, you should make an effort to find out, its in yours and your lipo's best interest.

I would suggest to anyone getting into lipos or wanting to charge lipos to get at the minimum a charger with a few charge rate ranges. Even the simple $20 electify lipo chargers have 100mah - 1000mah selectable, they are a very safe charger as well. Not as nice as a good balance charger with display, but will at least do the job.
It's the cheapo Venom Balance charger and it puts out 0.8A.
It can only charge 2 and 3 cell Lipos so I wouldn't think it would be putting out 3A!

Once again...don't think it will hurt the battery.
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote