Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: back to batteries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #1

Default back to batteries

if i use a nimh battery, what mah can i run? if i use a lipo battery what mah can i run? i have a rooster esc. Keep in mind I want the most run time for my money but dont want to get stupid with the $$$
JEDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

It all depends on how much room you have within your chassis.

The Rooster can only handle 7 cell NiMH and 2 cell Lipo, so keep that in mind while shopping around.

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/es...ler/index.html

There are great deals to be had with either power option, but you'll need a Lipo specific charger if you go that route.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

the rooster cralwer is 8.4 volt max, so 7 cell or 2s lipos only, but MAH is the capacity of the battery, so you can run the biggest MAH you want, as long as the voltage doesnt exceed 8.4 volts
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey View Post
the rooster cralwer is 8.4 volt max, so 7 cell or 2s lipos only, but MAH is the capacity of the battery, so you can run the biggest MAH you want, as long as the voltage doesnt exceed 8.4 volts
Just to clarify your statement a bit...

True, he can run the highest mAH rating that he wants, however 8.4 volts is a 7 cell packs nominal voltage, ie; 1.2 volts per cell, and it's that voltage rating that you need to watch, not the actual peak numbers.

A pack will always peak out higher than it's rated voltage, and a good quality 7 cell should be in the neighborhood of about 9.5 to 10.0 volts at full charge.

So don't worry if you charge your pack and the voltage is that high, the Rooster should handle it comfortably.

I would suggest that you abide by the cell rating on the Rooster though...I saw one go up in smoke after a 9 cell was run for about 30 minutes. Melted the entire ESC to the chassis ;)
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #5

hey im a noob on this forum but i work at a battery store where im a tech, i run one 6 cell nimh aa 2000mah (10c drain) pack on front servo one in the rear and one on top give good power and they last for about 3.5-4hours also gives good weight over axles
tomgr33nAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

yeah i guess i should have been more clear but your much more thought out answer :p seemed to be more based around voltage specifications, while the original Q was asking about MAH rateings, which as far as i know there are no restrictions on, other then extendid run times and tempiture issues but thats goin to vary from cralwer to crawler
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #7

there shouldnt be a restriction an any esc to mah its only a measure of hoe long you can run ie 3000mah with 3amps being pulled willrun for 3hours well should but it wont bother an esc if you have 1000mah or 6000mah like in running voltage is what matters
tomgr33nAX is offline   Reply With Quote