Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: What am I missing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #1

Default What am I missing?

Why does it seem that no one runs turnbuckle upper links? I would think the adjustability would be beneficial. Or do crawler suspensions just not need to be as dialed in as an onroad or offroad racer?
Devilbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
On the lookout for Rocks

Most of your adjustments are moving the uppers up and down to adjust squat/anitsquat. Making the link shorter or long only affect your pinion angle.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
Most of your adjustments are moving the uppers up and down to adjust squat/anitsquat. Making the link shorter or long only affect your pinion angle.
OK, that makes sense, but now you just raised another question, LOL I have a TCS Edge chassis I am building. The upper link mounts are three holes lined up parralel to ground. No up and down adjustment. I guess I would have to drill new holes to adjust squat or antisquat. I figured with adjustable uppers, changing length would change upper and lower link intersection points (obviously not as much as an up and down change at the chassis).
Old 07-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post

That would only be true if you were adjusting them the same.If you adjusted one more than the other you would be tunning preload.Preload could be used to shift weight from one tire to another to help get even traction and could help fight torque twist.But I agree it would not change squat #'s
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #5

Thats how we preload drag cars and also fine tune pinion angles. I guess I am used to minute changes making big differences on 1:1 scale, LOL
Old 07-28-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It wouldn't be that hard, a turnbuckle for Slash would work, might have to cut it down a little. Throw it on there, test it out then post a thread on it, that way we all learn something!
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
It wouldn't be that hard, a turnbuckle for Slash would work, might have to cut it down a little. Throw it on there, test it out then post a thread on it, that way we all learn something!
Heh, maybe I should shop around, LOL http://www.lunsfordracing.com/mm5/me...ROCK-AX10SCORP
Old 07-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have done this, I didn't really find it beneficial. All it does is improve your pinion angle and screw up your steering, you end up essentially steering down, your tires roll really bad as well.
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #9

And looks like they are 6-32 turnbuckles. #31 drill is .120". An 8-32 requires #29 drill and 6-32 uses #36.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I use turnbuckles on a few of mine, both for upper links, and steering tie rods. Mostly revo parts since they're pretty beefy. Main reason I do do it though is my fabrication skills are somewhat lacking
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote