Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: What parts do you keep on your Axial AX10 comp rig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
sim
Quarry Creeper

Default What parts do you keep on your Axial AX10 comp rig?

I'm a newbie of sorts. I started building a 2.2 crawler about four years ago and got a little stuck (couldn't figure out how to attach slider shafts to what I made and was actually considering using dogbones!)
I put it aside and then life distracted me from getting back to it for awhile.

That project thread was here and the official web page was here.

I recently got bitten by the crawler bug again when I saw it's possible to wrap up my ugly project by simply throwing some money at parts.

I did some reading and I think I'm very likely going to either finish up what I started or spend a little more and get Axial axles and start from there. I'm in Malaysia (no man's land as far as crawling is concerned), so everything will be bought online, and so far, I've found mostly Axial stuff on the stores that ship internationally. The third option of course would be to just get an Axial kit and mod as I go, but I hate the guilt that comes from having lots of useless parts sitting around reminding me of how much I've spent.

Ultimately, I want to end up with a capable rig, with a dig and freewheel option and not too much durability issues. So my noob question is: what parts of the AX10 kit will I likely be keeping?

Thanks in advance.
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

On my "Axial" comp rig....I bought only the axles and tranny and went from there. The axles were heavily modified and the trans is far from stock...

Nothing else is Axial.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Axle housings, trans shafts, spacers. I think that is about all that is left. Oh I forgot the wheel hexes.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
Axle housings, trans shafts, spacers. I think that is about all that is left. Oh I forgot the wheel hexes.
yep,i think to only thing that was stock when i ran an axial was the axle cases and the trans case and bearings.
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

On my old Axial, the axles and transmission were all that I kept from the original kit. However, I built a very capable crawler for my buddy using almost everything. The only things I changed on his are:

- Modified chassis (cut chassis off above body mounts & extended shock mounts outward w/ angle aluminum).
- Modified skid plate (moved lower links inside chassis plates).
- Replaced shocks with Losi Crawler shocks.
- Made custom 4 link plates instead of the stock 3 link setup.
- Mirrored the transmission and ran the motor forward on the right side.

I used the following parts with it:
- JR robotic servo
- Holmes Hobby 35 turn handwound motor
- Castle Sidewinder ESC

This was about as low budget as you can get in this hobby, and he took 3rd in our local club's June competition (amateur class). He was the only one in the class without dig, and there were even a couple Bergs. It was a lightweight crawler with no torque twist and a decent cog. It just plain works well.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
sim
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys.
Sounds like I have to do a lot more research on aftermarket stuff.

Eviltwin,
That doesn't sound too bad at all. Will keep an eye out for a used kit and keep that option open for now.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:23 AM   #7

The Axial stickers look cool
Ampdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

If you are planning to buy just the axles and trans.< thats what I did. Then I would suggest buying them off ebay. The only reason a say this is because there are several guys on there that part out ARTR's and RTR/RTC's. Those axles have the HD lockers in them already and the rear axle has lockouts and straight axles already. The trans won't matter unless you want a slipper then you should be able to find one pulled from a RTR/RTC for just s few $ more than a kit one. I am still runninf the stock HD lockers and axle shafts in my axial comp rig. I upgraded to the overdrive gears up front and 3 racing HD gears in the back. I have Hot Racing gears in the trans with a DNA dig with steal internals. MIP drive shafts to connect the trans to the axles and my driveline is pretty much bullet proof. Oh I would also upgrade the C's and knuckles to aluminum.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:25 AM   #9
sim
Quarry Creeper

Been checking the prices and they weren't as high as I originally thought. I might go with a new ARTR package (prefer orange to green plus I like the extras. Will still strip it and build it to get that new kit feeling).

I can upgrade as I go and slowly transfer the old kit stuff over to my KIV'ed old project and learn from both rigs. Gives me a chance to finish what I started anyway, ugly as it is.