Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: 1:6 and 1:10 scale NB Land Rovers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #1

Default 1:6 and 1:10 scale NB Land Rovers

Ok, I have been thinking about getting a entry level or "toy"class crawler and decided on New Bright.

Am I correct that the 1:6 scale LR3 is no longer available and was it basicaaly replaced with the Hummer?

Is the 1:10 scale LR3 still available, I can't find them either?

All I can find is the 1:10 scale FJ Cruiser.
ptcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

They usually only come out around Christmas time. The new models will be out around October or November. Basically anything that is on the shelves right now is left overs from Christmas time. They are pretty much all the same as far as chassis and in no way are they considered crawlers. They are cheap toys that are suitable for children. Not suure how old you are or what you plan on doing with it but about all they are good for are playing around in the driveway. they don't go good in grass at all and have no suspension travel and have a top speed of about 3 mph. Save your money and buy something rtr. I'd say for you a Duratrax Cliff Climber would be your best bet.
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmstEvil665 View Post
They usually only come out around Christmas time. The new models will be out around October or November. Basically anything that is on the shelves right now is left overs from Christmas time. They are pretty much all the same as far as chassis and in no way are they considered crawlers. They are cheap toys that are suitable for children. Not suure how old you are or what you plan on doing with it but about all they are good for are playing around in the driveway. they don't go good in grass at all and have no suspension travel and have a top speed of about 3 mph. Save your money and buy something rtr. I'd say for you a Duratrax Cliff Climber would be your best bet.
Thanks, I am looking to stay entry level, I want a 1/10 scale or larger and preferably the Land Rover LR3 Discovery body.

I understand the difference btw toy and hobby grade, I don't mind a toy grade that I can mod some.

Can anyone point me to a realistic Land Rover LR3 body? I guess even the Tamiya one is not available, I can't even fond anything about it online except for youtube videos.

I did look at the Duratrax (stadium truck?) any chance I could get a 1:10 Land rover body on one of their chassis? (Sorry....newbie questions here).
Old 08-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Found a bunch of 1:10 LR3's on ebay: http://toys.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nk..._osacat=117015
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

you helpin out the newbs ehh? lol
rockmahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmahala View Post
you helpin out the newbs ehh? lol

Why not??? Everybody was a noobie once! You got a problem with that!
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #7

So I could maybe put this body on a traxxas or duratrax chassis build project? Would the interior limit mounting the body any?

Might be the only way to currently build a new LR3.

I would have no problem modding a New Bright if they were currently available.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #8

Ok it seems to me that the easiest way to go about building this is to get a Tamiya CC01 Chassis, probably the VW Touareg and add this Rastar LR3 to it.

I can always post up questions about how to upgrade the CC01 here and it should be newbie friendly, too!

What do you guys think?
Old 08-06-2009, 04:22 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Lots of people take the newbright or other hardbody Land Rovers and put them on crawler/scale chassis. Sounds like a plan.
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:05 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

It sounds to me like your wanting something incredibly cheap, with the looks you want.
Honestly, you will be more frustrated than a 16 year old boy with a girlfriend that wont put out if you buy that New Bright. They are fine for children. Children only. They dont go fast enough to break, they do not have any suspension at all. (as in, their axles are solidly mounted to the chassis and have no movement). Their motors are weak and can barely propel the vehicle on flat ground, and they eat batteries like there is no tommorow.
about the only mods you could possibly do to one would be to upgrade the motor. Which would be pointless because they dont provide enough power to make it any faster. Nothing from a hobby grade RC vehicle of any kind is gong to fit, or work on it without alot of modifications. Even the wheels and tires are completely diffrent than what hobby grade vehicles use. Sure, you could buy one and completely tear it down, mod the hell out of it and make it into something, but it would be like trying to turn a completely bone stock dodge avenger into a full blown tuber rock crawler. Sure, it can be done, but at what cost.

You will come out far cheaper to just buy a cheap hobby grade rig and work your way to what you want from that angle. I have seen just about any scale body imaginable on a real hobby grade rig.

However, if your just wanting something cheap and fun, that is also upgradeable, then I would go with the almost ready to run duratraxx cliff climber, or the ready to run version
artr 49.99 at tower hobbies, rtr at tower hobbies 119.99
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXURC2
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXURC1**&P=M

you will be far happier with this than a new bright from walmart.

Last edited by soundcolor; 08-06-2009 at 06:09 AM. Reason: cause I'm an idiot and forgot to include the ready to run version
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote