Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: a noob just bought an artr AX10 and need some advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #1

Default a noob just bought an artr AX10 and need some advice

Hi, I just bought the axial AX10 ARTR and need some advice.

I want this crawler to easily climb 8 inch high step of stairs. It just won't climb because the skid plate stuck at the edge of the step. Which parts do I need for upgrades? Losi Rock Claws tire sets will add 1/2 of an inch ride clearance, so I'm told, but I'm not sure this would solve the problem since both of the front tire just hang in the air while climbing and then ended with the truck fall backward to the ground.

I'm also thinking to move the link inside the chassis for ground clearance as some suggested. Is there any other things that I should do with the truck? I don't want to end up destroying my new truck by too many unnecessary experiments. I just want my truck to climb stairs. Please help. Thanks in advance.
roosterkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Cant you try to climb them at an angle so the truck will flex up them??
poorboyrc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The 2.2 class size is usually not long enough for stair climbing. Yor best bet for climbing stairs is a super. Or, maybe see gow long you can stretch your wheelbase. My super will climb almost any stairs, my ax10 will only climb 4" to 5" stairs. Sorry if this is not what you were wanting to hear, but you must remember, they call them "Rock" crawlers for a reason...

Last edited by ohmyCLOD!; 08-04-2009 at 09:00 AM.
ohmyCLOD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyrc77 View Post
Cant you try to climb them at an angle so the truck will flex up them??
I tried to climb from various angles but still no luck.. the only way to have it climb up was to put rock in front of rear wheel.. but putting rock on every steps is no fun
Old 08-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmyCLOD! View Post
The 2.2 class size is usually not long enough for stair climbing. Yor best bet for climbing stairs is a super. Or, maybe see gow long you can stretch your wheelbase. My super will climb almost any stairs, my ax10 will only climb 4" to 5" stairs. Sorry if this is not what you were wanting to hear, but you must remember, they call them "Rock" crawlers for a reason...
yea I do realize now that it's not called a "stair climber". What is the largest 2.2 wheel/tire combos in diameter that can be put on the crawler? I don't think widening the wheelbase would make any difference unless you also up the tire size.. thanks for your respond btw
Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterkill View Post
yea I do realize now that it's not called a "stair climber". What is the largest 2.2 wheel/tire combos in diameter that can be put on the crawler? I don't think widening the wheelbase would make any difference unless you also up the tire size.. thanks for your respond btw

The new 2.2 roc lox's are tall
kalin96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Proline chisels or Hot Bodies rovers are 5.5" tall
Old 08-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

chisels are nice tall tire.
Aaronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

There are some new 3racing gear ruduction knuckles that raise your clearance by 1/2 inch.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #10

Quote:
There are some new 3racing gear ruduction knuckles that raise your clearance by 1/2 inch.
@poorboyrc77: I'll do more research on this one..thanks. @all Thanks for the info, guys.. I'm gonna google those tires you guys mentioned now.. l8r
Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Why Get outside on some rock You live in Vegas there must be some killer rock near by.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterkill View Post

You make the wheelbase longer, not wider, and the longer wheelbase WILL help it climb stairs.
ohmyCLOD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog7 View Post
Why Get outside on some rock You live in Vegas there must be some killer rock near by.
yup, red rock.. but I also want to play it on stairs at my campus and around my apt complex. Urban crawler LOL
Old 08-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmyCLOD! View Post
You make the wheelbase longer, not wider, and the longer wheelbase WILL help it climb stairs.
Ah now I see what you meant.. which parts do I need to get to make longer wheelbase? I don't have to buy a new chassis do I? There are wide selection of hop ups for ax10 by st racing. They're selling them cheaper than axial original parts, but I'm not sure which one to get..
Old 08-05-2009, 05:05 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

You need longer link arms. But you also need longer driveshafts and thats the problem, their weak, Its not worth it. Try a shock tuning kit and put the spacers above the springs to give you maximum height. Then put some weight in the front tires to pull the front of the truck down. After all of this don't be dissapointed if it dosent make it. 8" vertical is quite a feat for a 2.2 crawler. Not saying it can't be done though.Happy Urban Trails
Old 08-05-2009, 05:50 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Your best bet at clmbing steep ledges is to switch to a Pimp Cane style chassis...not something that is easily done with Axial axles, but if you are creative, then it can be done.
Here is a shot of the chassis on my clod:

And the clearance it gives:

And here is a video of it climbing ledges:
(there are a few bad words in the video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILsqOvwNhi8
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:01 AM   #17

Quote:
You need longer link arms. But you also need longer driveshafts and thats the problem, their weak, Its not worth it. Try a shock tuning kit and put the spacers above the springs to give you maximum height. Then put some weight in the front tires to pull the front of the truck down. After all of this don't be dissapointed if it dosent make it. 8" vertical is quite a feat for a 2.2 crawler. Not saying it can't be done though.Happy Urban Trails
Thanks.. I will try your suggestions..
Old 08-05-2009, 07:03 AM   #18

@above me

That is so sick, dude! .. thanks for sharing your pics/vids
Old 08-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWFV6&P=7 slap them puppis on there then you should be able to clear a 8"step lol imex also makes huge tires but than it wouldn't turn verywell. why dont u buid a course for it in your apt then post some pics.
rockmahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:34 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

you need A combo of the 3 racing knucles, rovers, and some weight in the front and if that dont make it get over the step, then you will never make it over the step with out making it redickulusly long, but for real find some real rock its much more fun
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote