Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Looking into crawling, Need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #1

Default Looking into crawling, Need help

I want to get into crawling but Im not sure wat to get. I'm looking at the tamiya cr-01 or axial ax10. can someone tell me which one is better and why?? but TBH I like how the cr-01 looks like. Also if someone can give me any other alternatives

Thanks
jjrosaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Suck it up!

If you are leaning more towards a scale build (more realism) go with the CR-01 or Axials 1.9 truck. If you want a 2.2 comp rig, go Axial, Venom, Losi, Berg, etc.

I'm not saying there isn't scale comp rigs, its just a different class that focuses more on how closely the truck resembles the real thing vs a 2.2 that is focused on performance over looks. Both are cool in thier own rights, but it comes down to personal preference. Go dig through the scale section and the mfg's section and see what trips your trigger!

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 08-04-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

id say go for the axial wether scale or comp to start out. easy to work on and really backed by the aftermarket community. I love my scx-10 scaler, i've never owned a tamiya so cant say anything good or bad about them. i have had both a comp and scale based axial. hope this helps you a little.
rockmahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I would go with the Axial RTC. Its ready to go out of the box. Its a good hybrid. Its not an all out competition crawler and is based more around being a good introductory type car. Its like the Slash of crawling. The CR01 is an AX10 with a full length chassis, a different transmission, and a different suspension. If you want to go more towards the scaler side, you can always get a TCS full length chassis for the AX10. That would be my suggestion. With the Axial, you have a good in-the-middle crawler that is good to learn on, and can either be modified to be a competition crawler, if you find that its what you like, or into a scale crawler, if you like the realistic challenge and living life in miniature. And the Axial is less than 2/3 the price RTR over the CR01 kit and 1/2 the price of the CR01 RTR. Thats my two cents.
tom tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 AM   #5

thanks guys.. I like the Axial ax10 but any chance you can put the land cruiser body on the axial?? since I really like how the land cruiser looks like

also how does the axial SCX10 compare to the ax10 or cr-01

PS is the cr-01 1.9?? I can't find anywhere

Last edited by jjrosaria; 08-05-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrV_gcI43d8
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrosaria View Post
thanks guys.. I like the Axial ax10 but any chance you can put the land cruiser body on the axial?? since I really like how the land cruiser looks like

also how does the axial SCX10 compare to the ax10 or cr-01

PS is the cr-01 1.9?? I can't find anywhere
Yeah, Proline (prolineracing.com) has a cruiser body you can put on the AX10. The SCX10 is an AX10 with a full length chassis, about 30 degrees articulation, and 1.9 wheels and tires. The CR01 comes with 2.2, like the AX10
tom tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:19 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

sounds like you like the look of the CR01 land cruiser. So why not just buy one? Basically, as a noob, you'll probably like any of your suggestions, so why not just go for the one you fancy?

I went though the same thing a while ago. I bought a losi mini rock crawler to whet my appetite - see if I even liked crawling at all. Lots of fun and can be easily run indoors with the kids, and is cheap. Might be an option for you?

there is lots spoken on here about which is 'better'. Bear in mind that a lot of this talk is small percentages of better, but multiplied by the forum

The CR01 is a fine car - looks good, crawls well. No, its not a 'comp' truck but it'll still crawl over most things you want to. And you could always enter it in scale competitions should the desire arise.
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
sounds like you like the look of the CR01 land cruiser. So why not just buy one? Basically, as a noob, you'll probably like any of your suggestions, so why not just go for the one you fancy?

I went though the same thing a while ago. I bought a losi mini rock crawler to whet my appetite - see if I even liked crawling at all. Lots of fun and can be easily run indoors with the kids, and is cheap. Might be an option for you?

there is lots spoken on here about which is 'better'. Bear in mind that a lot of this talk is small percentages of better, but multiplied by the forum

The CR01 is a fine car - looks good, crawls well. No, its not a 'comp' truck but it'll still crawl over most things you want to. And you could always enter it in scale competitions should the desire arise.
Great I might as well get the cr-01, I really like how it looks. But if I decide that I want to enter competitions later on, are their hop-ups to make the cr-01 a comp grade crawler?? TBH I want to but a crawler just for fun.. crawling through the good land scapes here in nz
Old 08-07-2009, 03:15 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

you can enter scale competitions. Or just buy another comp crawler.
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I was in the same situation as you are about a month ago. I too am getting ready to build my first crawler. I wanted the CR-01 Land cruiser at first, but then the guys on this forum enlightened me by telling me about the Axial SCX10. The land cruiser body will mount perfectly onto this kit (land cruiser body was what I originally wanted to go with, so I made sure of it). It also ends up being cheaper once you buy the scx10 kit and the land cruiser body. Then you are starting with a better chassis, the kit comes with better tires, and so many more parts fit the scx10 chassis than they do the CR-01 chassis IMO. Check out the features of the SCX10 here:
http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/scx10/

I would not go with the pro-line land cruiser body though as it looks cheap compared to the Tamiya body because you can put the plastic front grill part on the Tamiya body to give it a more realistic look.

Here are some SCX10 kits with Tamiya land cruiser bodies on them that I have come across on this forum:

Last edited by BadRockNoCookie; 08-07-2009 at 10:04 AM.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Not that this has anything to do with what you asked but I think the scale rigs are so cool. They look so real for way less money then the real thing
newtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:32 AM   #13

Well after last night I thought about that I might just get the ax10 and a proline land cruiser body plus the bull bar winch thing at the front (sorry Im a newbie dont know the terms yet ) I think it has more potential than the cr-01

about the SCX10 Its cool but I don't think its for me.. I found it to sort of have limited articulation and if Im buying a scale rig, I might as well buy the cr-01 that I really wanted from the start.