Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: newb with lipo!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 02:10 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default newb with lipo!

Is this a good lipo because for the price i think its good.http://www.hobbypartz.com/8015c7jon2.htm Thanks.
Tklan Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2009, 06:07 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I am running these. But u can get them off ebay for like $12 for 2 shipped from china, and thats 2 weeks to get them. They r very small. I got 30 min of run time out of 1(i have 4). Not a high "c" rating(like 15 and 20 burst). But good for a single motor rig bashing. The wires r alil small. But I have had no problems with them. And u will have to change the plug.
racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Try either one of these:
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...d=7&item_id=93
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...d=7&item_id=24

I really like mine and they ship from the US and you get them in just a few days.
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

This one is interesting from the first site...get 36A draw out of it...not too bad for bashing..and it will last longer than the 800.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/liba20c1811t.html
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

if i get a lipo does it have to be discharged after use or you dont have to discharge the battery. And if it does is that sold seperate.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

You don't have to discharge after running, it is not like a nimh. Also be aware that the first 2 batts you linked to are 2c 7.4v and the other batt linked for hobbypartz is 11.1v 3c. Depending on what esc you have it may not be able to handle a 3 cell.

This might help;

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1555

There is a section towards the bottom about charging and discharging lipos

Last edited by RustlerHustler; 08-07-2009 at 04:14 PM.
RustlerHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
www.team3sixrc.com

Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
(welcome to the world of lipo, become a jedi)
http://www.team3sixrc.com/rcelectronics101.htm
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Team3six's write up is way better than the one I linked to. Grab a nice cold beer and do some reading driver
RustlerHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Basic rules of lipos (note very basic)

1. Never discharger below 3.0v/cell (I like mine at 3.4v/cell)
2. For short term storage <2wks store charged (4.2v/cell)
3. For long term storage >2wks store at 3.8v/cell
4. Always balance charge
5. Spend the money for a good charger it will make even cheap lipos last longer.
6. Let the battery cool before charging.

I've got cheap lipos with over 200 charges that are still going strong, but killed expensive lipos in <50 cycles with a cheap charger.
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Grab a nice cold beer and do some reading driver[/QUOTE]

sorry rustler hustler im only 15 i cant drink.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
www.team3sixrc.com

Grab an ice cold coke and sit back and learn, is that better.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

these are a smokin' deal and they seem to be ok so far
check em out
http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks...s.dx/sku.10783
irok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #13
www.team3sixrc.com

I can tell you this from experiance and that I do honestly use them.
You can go to Hobbycity.com and go through to see aht works best for you, If you pay for express shipping youll have it in a week and honestly your not getting crap batteries, you are getting some good stock here. Another purchase i have is these. now it takes about 2-3weeks to get them but they come with the plug reguardless of what is on the auction. if they dont then no biggy to throw a deans on there but none have come that way to me. I have used these batteries since I got into crawling with excellent results and reliability. Here is the link to that.
http://cgi.ebay.com/11-1V-1500mAh-30...d=p3911.c0.m14
Now I highly recomend to anyone using lipo's to pick one of these up. Its the best money youll spend and it will tell you the voltage on each cell along with a total voltage.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Lipo-battery-...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 08-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Now I highly recomend to anyone using lipo's to pick one of these up. Its the best money youll spend and it will tell you the voltage on each cell along with a total voltage.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Lipo-battery-...d=p3286.c0.m14
I bought one of these and paid $9 for it. Thought it was a great little tool to have. They are nice if you wanna take a quick look at your total votlage but thats about all it is good for. I didn't think my batterys were balancing right because this little gauge never showed the same voltage across the cells. I checked it with a volt meter and not to suprising but this little thingy is not very accurate at all. Don't get me wrong I like it when I'm in a hurry and don't feel like subtracting to find out the voltage of the second and third cell. Its a great tool to get a general idea of the voltage per cell. It is pretty accuarte though on total voltage but not individual cell voltage. For $9 bucks though it worth it.
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #15
www.team3sixrc.com

Weird, I never have had that issue. may I ask what your using for a charger and balancer?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Superbrain 989 and an Astro blinky. I don't see what that would have to do with why the little gauge thingy wouldn't be reading right. All I am saying is it seems off a little when it comes to showing individual cell voltage. Overall voltage is spot on. I was just curious one day to see how acurate the thing was and checked it with a voltmeter and thats when I found out it was off. Sometimes it is close but other thimes it is way way off. I have had say cell one read 4.15 and cell two read 4.15 and cell three read 4.20 and the overall read 12.5. I'll check it with a volt gauge and all the cells read 4.16 or 4.17 right where they should be.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
www.team3sixrc.com

lol, Ohhh just that little bit off. that isnt anything to worry about and I asked because I was wondering if you were using one of them cheapo chargers and balancers.
sometimes with a cheapo they arent very acurate.

But is yours the same as mine? Like yesterday i charged 2 5000 7.2's and 2 1500 11.1's and I used the Hyperion Charger with the LBA10 balancer. I checked all my voltages with the chargers data and then again with my little metter and I was spot on. maybe ya got a bad meter or something.

No biggy anyways, its not deathly off to the point of concern which is how I translated it coming from you.

Its all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmstEvil665 View Post
Superbrain 989 and an Astro blinky. I don't see what that would have to do with why the little gauge thingy wouldn't be reading right. All I am saying is it seems off a little when it comes to showing individual cell voltage. Overall voltage is spot on. I was just curious one day to see how acurate the thing was and checked it with a voltmeter and thats when I found out it was off. Sometimes it is close but other thimes it is way way off. I have had say cell one read 4.15 and cell two read 4.15 and cell three read 4.20 and the overall read 12.5. I'll check it with a volt gauge and all the cells read 4.16 or 4.17 right where they should be.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Oh no I'm just sayin its not spot on per cell. Overall voltage is spot on. I dunno I still use it just to see where i'm at before charging and whatnot. I just wish it was acurate per cell so I wouldn't have to use a voltmeter to double check. It just kind of worried me at first when it was showing one cell a lot higher than the other two.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

its pretty cheap but it has a very low discharge rate and it might take forever to get from a chinese store like that
jeepron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Of late the quality of lipo batteries coming out of China has improved. What used to be absolute junk has now become decent, especially for the price. Watch out on those China based stores as shipping can be expensive and take a while. Not a deal breaker but something you have to account for.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote