Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Threaded rod material question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Threaded rod material question

I'm wondering what type & class (finish) of threaded rod (4mm) to get from McmasterCarr to make bent links ? There are several classes & types of threaded rod to pick from-I would rather ask than buy & have to reorder because I bought to soft, wrong finish etc.- I did search but and found ALOT of info-(Thanks for all that) but when it gets down to class, finish & type of metal- cant seem to find much info on that.(Its probably me) From what I've read so far- dont get galvanized finish ( ? ) These will be wrapped in 1/4 Dlerin tubing-
This is what I was thinking of getting: Metric Class 4.6 Plain Steel Threaded Rod M4 Size, 1 Meter Length, .70 mm Pitch (p/n 98861A050)
Thanks
ClodNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

number 1 rule with threaded rod, it doesnt make for a good lower link because it doesnt slide all that well.

other than that, I would suggest 4-40 stainless steel.

Conversly, you may end up cheaper to order some delrin (you can get a 12' stick from www.RcBros.com for really cheap, and then all you'll need are some longish set screws and your end links. (the set screw can be bought at your local hardware store and the endlinks from your LHS or from any online hobby store).
Delrin will give you the advantage of being strong and slippery.
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

What rod ends will you be using??
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I do believe Revo's- Got plenty of different rod ends-- and I was planning on putting the threaded rod thru Delrin tube (1/4), bending, then finish cutting to length-To much trial & error at this point of my build to buy any "real" links- always changing lengths at this point in the game. Theres just enough different threaded rod material to pick from for me to mess up & buy the wrong stuff --again (been there, done that enough already with enough other things) This is for a couple of 2.2 (comp & scaler) Thanks again
Old 08-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Well, for my Revo and Jato ended links, I use 8/32 (or 6/32....I can never remember what I purchased) sleeved with 1/4"OD and 0.035" wall stainless tubing. You will NEVER bend the links and they slide nicely over rocks and the tubing is almost exactly the same OD as the rod ends. I just use the threaded rod that is sold in the kiosks at most hardware stores...

BTW, I usually test with bare threaded rod, then when I have the setup that I want, I cut and deburr the tubing. To cut the tubing, you'll need a dremmel or something else with a cutoff wheel....a tubing cutter wont get the job done.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I use the stainless threaded rod. It's tough to cut but holds up very well.
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClodNutz View Post
I do believe Revo's- Got plenty of different rod ends-- and I was planning on putting the threaded rod thru Delrin tube (1/4), bending, then finish cutting to length-To much trial & error at this point of my build to buy any "real" links- always changing lengths at this point in the game. Theres just enough different threaded rod material to pick from for me to mess up & buy the wrong stuff --again (been there, done that enough already with enough other things) This is for a couple of 2.2 (comp & scaler) Thanks again

That is how I build mine as well. For the threaded rod, I use Steel 4mm .7 pitch:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#98861a050/=3488t9

And I use Delrin 1/4" tube that I hollow out to 5/32":

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1830t11/=3489ye

I cap them off with Revo Ends.

I am lucky enough to live/work near the CHICAGO warehouse...so I am there weekly picking up material.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

thanks- just wanted to make sure before I ordered & goofed (again) Thanks for all the help