Notices

Thread: TIPS, TRICKS, and MORE INFORMATION THAN A NEWBIE CAN HANDLE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #101
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: TIPS, TRICKS, and MORE INFORMATION THAN A NEWBIE CAN HANDLE

I have a question...

Is the scx10 waterproof?

I have had mine in the snow, mud, water, hosed it off and have never had a failed electronic in any of my 5 scx10's

Are these things waterproof or am I just lucky?
1BAMFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAMFR View Post
I have a question...

Is the scx10 waterproof?

I have had mine in the snow, mud, water, hosed it off and have never had a failed electronic in any of my 5 scx10's

Are these things waterproof or am I just lucky?
You've been lucky.

Waterproof no, leaning towards water resistant yes. They do not advertise of any water resistant properties, but newer electronics are sealed up pretty well.
Unless tampered with they will remain fairly water resistant for quite a while against moist environments such as a day of snow bashing or crawling.

There are several products out there that you can dip, brush, soak, coat etc... all your electrics with that will however make the thing a fairly dependable submarine!

Brushless motors don't seem to like water as much as brushed. I personally think a good dunk in the water is a great cooling device for my brushed motors on a long day of crawling. (But that's just my $.02)
The only major drawback to getting brushed motors wet is MUD & SAND.
A quick wrap in a layer of pantyhose keeps the mud and sand out and your good to go.

There is also the old fashioned trick of putting your electrics in a latex/rubber balloon and zip tying the neck shut with a dab of silicone at the opening.... but with all the new waterproofing dips and sprays... The balloon is too much work for some to want to do.

Good luck with your water adventures and welcome to RCC!

THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #103
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_138 View Post
You've been lucky.

Waterproof no, leaning towards water resistant yes. They do not advertise of any water resistant properties, but newer electronics are sealed up pretty well.
Unless tampered with they will remain fairly water resistant for quite a while against moist environments such as a day of snow bashing or crawling.

There are several products out there that you can dip, brush, soak, coat etc... all your electrics with that will however make the thing a fairly dependable submarine!

Brushless motors don't seem to like water as much as brushed. I personally think a good dunk in the water is a great cooling device for my brushed motors on a long day of crawling. (But that's just my $.02)
The only major drawback to getting brushed motors wet is MUD & SAND.
A quick wrap in a layer of pantyhose keeps the mud and sand out and your good to go.

There is also the old fashioned trick of putting your electrics in a latex/rubber balloon and zip tying the neck shut with a dab of silicone at the opening.... but with all the new waterproofing dips and sprays... The balloon is too much work for some to want to do.

Good luck with your water adventures and welcome to RCC!

Thanks for your response!
What product(s) would you recommend to make the stock electronics more resistant to water?

Also, the receiver box could take on water as well...any ideas to waterproof that box as well?
Old 01-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #104

Plasti-Dip is a good brush on product and would work well to cover and seal up your electronics box.

I have some industrial silicone liquid that I dip my stuff in. Not entirely sure what it is, I got a gallon of it from a friend that works at a large paper mill and they dip their electronics in it that live in wet environments.... It works awesome.

Rust-o-leum just came out with a new product, I think they call it "Never-Wet" ???? and I hear it works very well. I am wondering if it isn't possibly the home owners version of this gallon of stuff I have been using for years.

Plasti-dip can look ugly sometimes if just slobbered on, but if done neatly it looks OK. It comes in various colors too. One of my steering servos is Plato-dip coated and before I take it out on a water trip, I slobber some dielectric grease all around the shaft where it turns in the servo. It works well to keep water out, but it doesn't last much longer then a couple times out if rubbing through leaves and tall grass etc...

A lot of it ends up being experimenting and what works best for each truck and person.

I do plan to buy some "Never-Wet" sometime soon and see what it's all about.

THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:27 AM   #105
Pebble Pounder

Metal Axial steering linkage.....do they make metal end caps? My plastic ones are stripping out all the time.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Time to make some links with revo rod ends
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #107

Im new to the scale crawling world. I have always been interested in it and finally have some extra time and money. I currently have a 1.1 crawler that im trying to make my scale crawler mimic. I need some advice on axles, motor, and esc. of course its all gotta be waterproof too! I need axles that will look like full width on a scx10. Im also very new to forums so I hope this is in the right place
bowsher925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #108
Pebble Pounder

Can you put Wraith axles on an scx10?
Old 02-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #109
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAMFR View Post
Can you put Wraith axles on an scx10?
I found this thread. Wraith axles?
Crawlerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #110
Quarry Creeper

In addition to the "must have" tools, I'd highly recommend one of these HPI flat wrenches - incredibly useful in many situations with the Wraith and SCX10

Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote